Getting a copyright

I'm not sure if a crochet pattern is the same as, say, a photo or a piece of artwork (more my domain as a graphic designer), but you should just be able to put a copyright notice on it, and it's legal.

A lot of people print a copy of something and mail it to themselves to have a postmark with a date on it. They keep it sealed as proof that the idea originated during a certain time period, in case an issue comes up.

-Most- people will honor a posted copyright notice, though. Most...

<a href="http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hsc" target="_new">copyright FAQs</a>

Registering with the Copyright office is not neccessary, since once something that falls under copyright laws is "notated" the laws automatically apply (this is better explained in the above link.) However, as an extra measure, most people who do not register their work with the copyright offices (read: Library of Congress) will send a copy via CERTIFIED mail to themselves, and leave it UNOPENED in the original packaging to have proof of the date of their copyright ownership. This does help if an issue arrises. There are good reasons to register a copyright, but you don't have to. It's all explained in the FAQ, in what I would consider layman's terms.

Hope that helps.

Archived