Allergic to Red Heart Yarn?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree RH is getting rougher. I've never washed it before using it tho...that's a thought. I do find, with any acrylic yarn, that I do sneeze and I chalked it up to the fibers getting airborne and wafting up into my nose. I have oftend wondered if these fibers land and stay in the lungs?

When I first read this post...the first thing that came to mind is maybe they were returned with someone who once owned a cat (since you said you are allegic to feline) Just a though...nice to know that you enjoy working on it after they are washed. I may have to try that. Do you put the skeins in nylons and wash it? Do you ball up the yarn first? Thanks?

I was also wondering how to wash them.

Pam - I was working with frosty green and aspen print. I don't know if I would have problems with any other colors since I don't usually crochet for that long at a time (but the blanket is done!!). I did notice that the aspen print seemed a lot squeakier and rough/splitty than most of the colors. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. I'm mailing my letter to Red Heart today (they don't accept emails).

I've not had any problems besides it being a little rough, and I put that down to it's being cheap. It seems that the multicolors are a little 'wackier' than the plain colors. They're usually a bit thinner and split easier. I haven't had anything that could be called an allergic reaction, though.

It was RHSS that I learned to crochet with but like the many posts that I just read on this post, I also can not crochet with RHSS because of it roughness on my hands. My hands that I crochet with and handle the yarn with was actually peeling, rough, sore with little cuts and red. I Love RHSS because they have all the yarn in all the colors of the rainbow but I can not use it any more. I now use softer yarns but I still look at all the wonderful colors that RHSS is famous for. :blush

So glad it isn't just me. I have a cat so it is not allergies to cats. I use RH lot's of times but as recently as the past 2 years, both my daughter and I had to stop using the Super Savers. We break out in hives!!! Mine was so bad that the doctor had to prescribe a medicine for it. It isn't too bad in the hombres, we just itch a little and sneeze, but the solid colors really do us in. I read in one of the other threads that someone who complained to Red Heart was told they were having problems with one of their manufacturers. I did some research on my own and discovered that there are certain chemicals used in the manufacturing and dying process that are very toxic and caustic. I believe our reactions are to these chemicals.

It will be interesting to see what answers some of you get from RH.

I was thinking about a skein of yarn I was using not too long ago. Not sure but I think it was a red heart and the color was white. It had like a greasy feel to it. Not sure if that is the right description to give to it, but the only one I can think of . It did not bother my hands, but if I find it again, I am thinking I might not use it , in any other projects.

I know what a allergic reaction is though. Several weeks ago, I started a new job. Working in food service in a factory cafteria. I wore the brand of latex gloves.

OH WRONG BIG TIME .

I normally have worn vinyl gloves and no problem. Well before I could get it fiqured out, my hands went red, itchy, sore, tiny breaks in the skin. Like a real serious

rash of wind / sun burn. Once I thought about it, and did not wear that brand anymore, my hands got better. Took about a week though. I made sure to drink extra water, and used a hand lotion, something like vaseline. It helped calm them down.

I was thinking about a skein of yarn I was using not too long ago. Not sure but I think it was a red heart and the color was white. It had like a greasy feel to it. Not sure if that is the right description to give to it, but the only one I can think of . It did not bother my hands, but if I find it again, I am thinking I might not use it , in any other projects.

I know what a allergic reaction is though. Several weeks ago, I started a new job. Working in food service in a factory cafteria. I wore the brand of latex gloves.

OH WRONG BIG TIME .

I normally have worn vinyl gloves and no problem. Well before I could get it fiqured out, my hands went red, itchy, sore, tiny breaks in the skin. Like a real serious

rash of wind / sun burn. Once I thought about it, and did not wear that brand anymore, my hands got better. Took about a week though. I made sure to drink extra water, and used a hand lotion, something like vaseline. It helped calm them down.

Sounds like you had a reaction to the latex in the gloves. Latex is a very well known allergen. You should probably stick to vinyl gloves and other gloves that do not contain latex. Some elastics in clothing contain latex too, so watch out for those also.

As for the people with the yarn allergy, I'd be willing to bet it's the sizing that they put on the yarn to keep it stiff in the skein that's causing the problems.

They also put sizing on fabric on bolts, and also on a lot of new clothings. It's also applied to paper to keep the paper stiff. Sometimes it contains starch.

You can get the sizing off the yarn by washing it while it's tied inside of a nylon.

A definition of sizing is: "(I) A stiffening substance used to give YARN strength, stiffness, and smoothness, which improve its weaving qualities. (II) Treating YARN with a stiffening substance to improve its weaving qualities."

More definitions of sizing are here

I usually buy RHSS because of the price, but have noticed the last few times out that it is EXTREMELY rough and also squeaky. It does sound like a sizing problem. I may be looking for a new brand of yarn!!!

I had some of the x-mas yarn from Wal-Mart and it was the kind with the gold metal looking thread through it, it almost ate my poor fingers raw maybe that reeally is metal :think I was going to make a x-mas tree skirt out of it till I got to working with the stuff :eek

Now this is getting scary! My sis made her son an afghan for Christmas and said she had used RHSS and her hands were raw, I just checked the label on mine and it says made in the USA from IMPORTED fibers! With all the problems with merchandise made in China I think I will back off on buying it for a bit.

As for the people with the yarn allergy, I'd be willing to bet it's the sizing that they put on the yarn to keep it stiff in the skein that's causing the problems.

They also put sizing on fabric on bolts, and also on a lot of new clothings. It's also applied to paper to keep the paper stiff. Sometimes it contains starch.

I didn't realize that the stuff on paper was the same as on clothes/fabric. Whenever I am writing for a long time, notebook paper makes the side of my hand itchy and red. I assumed it was whatever holds the paper together, since I am allergic to other adhesives as well. It's interesting how the same additives are in such a variety of things. There is a PBS show called Wired Science that has a segment about ingredients in common products. They take the ingredients and show other products that have that as their main ingredient. It's definitely disturbing when they show Drano as a clue, and the product turns out to be toothpaste. I looked up an ingredient from boxed mac and cheese before, and it turned out to be used as a chemical water softener as well. It seems like manufacturers put all sorts of strange things in and on everything.

As for Red Heart being scratchy and harsh on hands, I find that washing it helps, and also keeping your hands moisturized. That may not fix it completely, but I noticed for a while that I couldn't stand to use most any yarn, and it was because my hands were so dry.

I have black, hunter green, and Fiesta Jewel that are very scratchy.

I just started to use a couple old skeins of Fiesta Glade in a shawl. They are light colored and they squeak.

I have black, hunter green, and Fiesta Jewel that are very scratchy.

I just started to use a couple old skeins of Fiesta Glade in a shawl. They are light colored and they squeak.

I also have black and hunter green. They are super scratchy. It seems strange that different colors can be different scratchinesses (new word I just made up). The green washed up relatively soft. The black improved considerably, but was still kind of rough.

Where are you all getting these squeaky skeins? I've never had any Red Heart yarn squeak on me.

I've also never had a problem with the yarn being scratchy. I actually prefer the stiffness of RHSS when I'm working with it, because it feels like it crochets up better for me. I've used old heavily frogged skeins of yarn, and hate that they're limp and start to go all splitty on me because I've frogged them so much the sizing came off and the wore out the yarn.

That's usually when I toss the yarn, or give it away.

CyM, I'm not sure if the sizing on paper is the exact same as what's on yarn, they may use different chemical compounds for paper.

If you work with fabrics and yarn and paper enough, you can tell what's got sizing on it, and what doesnt. When I worked in WalMart's fabric department, I could tell that the cotton fabrics, and the cotton blend fabrics had sizing on it. The blends usually had way more sizing and felt more uncomfortable to the skin.

Some yarns, I dont think use sizing. I dont feel it when I fondle the Homespun, but I can feel it on Red Heart, and Caron yarns. I dont really feel it on Vanna's yarn either...and I've never felt sizing on the crochet cottons, other than Speed Cro-Sheen. (I loved Speed Cro-Sheen, I should have stockpiled that)

Oh, I might have an allergy to certain types of sizing, probably starch...when I worked for WM, the first day we opened the store, we had to actually wear our blue vests and jackets. I put mine on, and within a half hour, I was breaking out in hives every where that nasty blue fabric touched me. Yay for me, I was not forced to wear the stupid vests and only had to wear a wally world name badge.

When they fired me, I kept the nasty vest, and used it as part of my halloween decorations. I hung a skeleton, wearing the vest, from the ceiling by my front door, with the "May I help you?" side of the vest facing people..

I really don't like red heart yarn. I don't like the look of it or the feel, and I really hate the little fuzz balls you get after you wash it. The only good thing about this yarn is the prise and it seems to be going up. I wish the really good yarns weren't so expensive! :(

This is very interesting. Awhile back I bought 3 skeins of RHSS, and the stuff was so stiff, I hate crocheting with it. Doesn't make me sneeze, but it is making my hands itchy and actually red in places, I guess where I keep scratching. Maybe I should wash it? But I've already "balled" it up, and dread to think about untangling it after it's dry. I'm thinking of making a tote bag with it, but after reading this, I might just trash it.

Whether it is sizing, dye, paper or whatever, I guess like other allergies, some people are sensitive and some are not.

But I will not buy a yarn that I have to wash first. I don't care what the price is, washing first is not an option for me. My washer is not in the house and (especially in the winter) I don't want to be running back and forth to the laundry area for a skein or two of yarn. I know everyone thinks that RHSS is a good deal for the price, but using the washer (water/electric/soap) brings that price up.

I come from a generation where an 8oz. skein was around 50 cents and all you had to do was use it. Now the skein size has gone down, the price gone up and "you have to prep it first"? No way, I'll just use the brands that don't irritate me, physically and mentally.

Don't get me wrong, I give credit to you gals who work so hard to save $$$$ and create lovely items, I am just saying it isn't for me.

If it goes away when the yarn is washed, it isn't the yarn itself, but something that is ON the yarn.

dust? sizing? a store stocker covered in cat dander?

But then why would it bother a cat owner?

Whether it is sizing, dye, paper or whatever, I guess like other allergies, some people are sensitive and some are not.

But I will not buy a yarn that I have to wash first. I don't care what the price is, washing first is not an option for me. My washer is not in the house and (especially in the winter) I don't want to be running back and forth to the laundry area for a skein or two of yarn. I know everyone thinks that RHSS is a good deal for the price, but using the washer (water/electric/soap) brings that price up.

I come from a generation where an 8oz. skein was around 50 cents and all you had to do was use it. Now the skein size has gone down, the price gone up and "you have to prep it first"? No way, I'll just use the brands that don't irritate me, physically and mentally.

Don't get me wrong, I give credit to you gals who work so hard to save $$$$ and create lovely items, I am just saying it isn't for me.

I agree with you. If I have to wash brand new yarn before using it, I don't want it. Now that Hobby Lobby's yarn 'I Love This Yarn' is available in so many new pretty colors, that is my choice of yarn (and has been for a while now). It is so soft, works up nicely, and is a good price---7 oz. for $2.49. Since WM raised the price back up on RHSS, it just costs pennies more for ILTY, and for a softer yarn, that is a 'no brainer' for me. :lol

I will use up what RHSS I have here, then if I have to have a color that is only available in RHSS, I will use it. But I will do the 'feel' test first. If it is scratchy feeling, I'll pass.

I think all of you that have had the sneeezing reaction to the RH yarn should call their customer number. If you have any of that particular yarn you were working with, set it aside and they might want to test that as well.

As for RH being made in 2 different companies, the lady at RH said it was ALL made in USA, and ALL stored in Georgia. Which yarn did you have that was from a different country?

Very interesting! Ah, Krystal, your avatar is creeping me out!:scared:eek

I never prewash yarn, and would probably return the skein if I felt I was going to have a problem with it. Even if I've unwound the skein. I'd take it and any other skeins that I bought at the same time and take it back.

Red Heart is good for the price that it is now, ($2.29 for a 7oz skein) altho, I prefer to buy it on sale. Seeing as how a small skein of a "good yarn" (a merino/cotton blend) that I'm knitting a scarf with right now runs me about $8 a skein and comes nowhere near giving me the quantity of yarn I get from a skein of RH, I'm sticking with RH, with Caron Pounder skeins as a backup.

But then why would it bother a cat owner?

:D well that would be the people allergic to cats...

Though I have a friend who turns out that while allergic to many cats, isn't allergic to all cats. We haven't figured out why.

Archived