Allergic to Red Heart Yarn?

I have allergies as well. I also have a dog and cat that are " Mama's Little Allergens" !! I am working on an afghan at the moment using RHSS, but am tired of the almighty Wally World raising the price, and am really starting to like the Caron one-pounder. This may be my last project with RH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grr! This is so frustrating. I had been doing a project with super saver, and out of the blue, I have a reaction. I had been crocheting several hours with simply soft and then switched to another project, and within an hour and a half my arm had welps on it.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Coats and Clark.

Thanks for the heads up on this. When my middle DD started Cadets, she discovered she was allergic to the wool socks they wanted her to wear. In the middle of last year, she decided to try crocheting again and swiped a ball of my RHSS which resulted in a reaction of hives on her hands. Recently, she picked up another ball of my RHSS that had been frogged from a scarf and rewound. This time there was no reaction and I figure it was because that ball was older then the first one. I hope they find out whatever caused these reactions in people. I haven't had any but I have noticed it was more squeakier on my aluminum hooks and stiffer to work with then normal.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

• 2 weeks later...

I got my reply back from Coats and Clark. They said that it shouldn't be the yarn itself and that the dyes are hypoallergenic. They also suggested not using any Red Heart yarn at all :eek and asking my doctor about using other yarns. They also said to send the yarn back so that they can test it. I think I will only send a sample of each, though, because that's a lot of money to send off, plus the envelopes not big enough for every color that I've reacted to. I'm also going to try washing them to see if that helps, since after they're washed they're fine.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the reply I was hoping for, which was turn in a circle and jump up and down three times and it will take care of the problem. :P

Every skein of white Red Heart Super Saver I have purchased from 3 different Wal-Marts are all squeaky. The mixed color red heart yarn is all a lot stiffer and even the pastel colors that used to be soft enough for a baby afghan is now to rough to use without prewashing and using plenty of fabric softener. They have drastically changed their yarn whether they want to admit it or not. I just wish we all knew what they have done.

I just remembered that on the squeaky yarn, the only way I could crochet it was to apply baby powder to the hook (aluminum, plastic or clover soft touch) to get it to slide over the hook like yarn is supposed to.

I am alergic to acrylic yarns - so I share in your sorrow. Mine is a skin allergy though -not sneezing. I'm alergic to the materials that go into the process of making the acrylic yarn (the chemicals) so I have to use natural fiber yarns - cotton, wool, bamboo - etc. I'm always so envious of everyone who can use the super saver - and super cheaper - yarns. The Peaches & Cream and Sugar & Cream cotton yarns are worsted weight and work up nicely. I use them for almost anything and everything that calls for Red Heart Super Saver brand.

I like the feel and look of the natural fibers so much better - and those two brands are also easy on your coin purse!

Gracious, I too am VERY interested in the results of C&C's tests. I haven't had any reactions to RH yarns but have noticed that recently hubby starts sneezing when I am using more recently purchased RH yarns as opposed to my older stash. He has quite a few allergies so I don't use any "animal fibers" within BREATHING distance of him. But it never occurred to me that RH could have some kind of chemical on it. "EEK and aaaaah aaaaah CHOOOOO!!!!!!!

I was cruising websites a little while ago (just before Christmas) and one of the big companies, patons, berocco, had a note about no dye lot yarns with dye lot problems.

The note explained that suppliers changed. There used to be 6 acrylic yarn makers in the world, now there are 2. Some of these issues may come from the maker of the yarns.

I know that my older stock of Red Heart is very different than stuff purchased in the summer (which was truly awful), and is again different in quality than what I see in the stores now.

I havn'et had a problem with red heart making me break out but the new stuff is to rough on my hands and makes my skin dry out.

I do have some old stuff my grandma gave me which I loved. So soft and squishy. :)

I have broken out from Lion brands yarn once. It's the one that looks like mo-hair but is acrylic. Can't think of the name right now. I made a tiny pug for my grandmother and broke out something awe-ful. But what was weird was I only reacted while stuffing and assembling the toy. I guess the exposure from crocheting it was very small but while stuffing I must have handled it more.

I'm very careful now.

I also have learned I'm allergic to alpaca and Angora. I used to own Angoras and was allergic to them. Sad becasue they were very sweet rabbits. Alpaca seems to depend on the item. Baby alpaca seems to be fine but regular not so much.

The Red Heart has definetely changed I don't use it at all. Too much work and to scratchy.

What about formaldehyde (don't know how it's spelled in English). Some yarns are treated with this for conservation purposes.

I'm allergic to it, and have to wash everything that has it.

Or.... could someone in the store have cats?

I'm allergic to horses, and around here "everybody" has one, so my local craft store has learned to wash her hands before handling any yarn.

Has anyone else noticed that this doesn't extend to the other RH products? My recent purchases of Red Heart Comfort have not been giving my middle daughter any problems at all. The Super Saver still causes her some problems so I just avoid letting her use it and let her use the Comfort. I've also noticed the Comfort seems to be softer and springier then the SS.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Krystal........I am very interested in your post about yarn and allergies. I have really bad allergies and lately, my eyes have been really itching, runny, scratchy, sore and irritated. I just wonder if it was from the yarn that I was working with too????? :eek I have a variety of different yarns, but I've been handling the Red Heart SS and Bernat Super Value.....and some Caron SS. If you get a response from the Red Heart people, after they test it, can I ask if you would be willing to share the results with us/me.....so we can at least be knowedgeable about the possibilites of having allergies to these yarns? :think I sure would appreciate it! Thank you. It's awful having to think of our beloved yarn being a health issue.

That's such a coincidence! Everytime I work with yarn for a while my eyes get like that.

I normally get eye allergies, but usually not this often. It's annoying!!!:scared

I think DYES are too blame for this yarn problem. I just did a search and found this page on organic material. I copied and pasted this info here.

* Conventional clothing dyes and garment finishes can cause a wide variety of health problems for chemically sensitive people ranging from skin rashes, headache, trouble concentrating, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, dizziness, difficulty breathing, irregular heart beat, and seizures. Symptoms in children include red cheeks and ears, dark circles under the eyes, hyperactivity, and behavior or learning problems.

It is often the dye fixative which is used to bond the dye color to the fabric that causes the most problems. Unfortunately, heavy metals have often been used in dye fixatives and also in dyes. Toxic chemicals sometimes found in the dyeing process include *

this is the page I was reading.....

http://www.lotusorganics.com/articles/dyes%20-%20chemical%20sensitivities.aspx

I bought some white RH 4 ply yarn a few weeks ago and it was the strangest thing. When I squeezed the skein of yarn it was actually squeaky.quote]

I know what you mean but it was happening when I was crocheting. The first time this happend I also got this strange smell like it was burning made me think "could I really be crocheting that fast ?" :lol

Im glad someone else said that they had this happen to them! I noticed that smell and thought I had an electric short or something. Drove me batty looking for it. :eek

I havent had any allergic reactions to RHSS, but, I have got that 'itchy' feeling from Sayelle's Dazzleaire. I think a lot of people did, and they quit making it.

And one more thought.... RHSS seems to be of lower quality that it used to be. It used to be such wonderful yarn, now its just garbage. Its too stiff, smells funny, hard to work with, and spilts like crazy. I think I will be buying a different brand from now on for the large size projects.

Come to think of it, the holiday yarn I bought was RH. It was soft, nice, and a pleasure to work with. Must just be the SS line.

I bought the RH Holiday too and it hasn't bothered me. I have noticed that the ILTY has started breaking me out just a little bit, but it goes away quickly and it's also from a pillow cover that hasn't been washed since I made it a couple weeks ago, which is probably the problem. It is nothing compared to what the Super Saver does to me though. SS is what I used when I first learned how to knit several years ago, and all of the yarn from then seems pretty soft. It is so annoying when people mess with something good.

• 3 months later...

Until I found this thread I thought I might be going insane!! I have recently developed an allergy to RHSS, I'm talking within the last two to three months. I have been using this yarn for years because it is just about the only thing I can afford. Lately I have noticed huge welts on my forearms after I crochet with it for a while. This hasn't happened with any other acrylic yarn, just RHSS, and it doesn't matter which color or where I purchased it. A few of you mentioned that you have washed the skeins and that seemed to help. How in the world do you wash a skein of yarn? And has anyone else developed a solution? I thought about wrapping my forearms in surgical bandages before crocheting:P

• 2 months later...

OK, now I've realized I'm also having trouble with Caron Simply Soft yarn. Anyone else allergic to this one? I sure hope I'm not allergic to all acrylic yarn - eeek!! The strange thing is that I'm not allergic to ALL the yarn...some skeins make me really break out and others are just fine. Crazy!!

Gretchen, I am allergic to acrylic yarns, every one that I've tried. I break out into big red splotches on my forearms if I crochet for a long time in one day. Usually if it's just an hour or so, it doesn't bother me. I keep a bottle of benadryl in my crochet bag to use any time I start feeling that burn.

Others have suggested to me that I wash the skeins too, but I haven't done it. People have suggested that I put the skeins in pillow cases or lingerie bags and wash and dry them before using. It would probably help with the itching, because afghans that I have completed and washed don't bother me. I sleep under an afghan made from RHSS every night.

try buying a skein from a different store maybe the place you bought it was using somekind of spray for pests and thats whats makeing you sneeze. i bought some too and was itching like crazy then ordered from harrshners and the itching stoped .Try it .theresa Good Luck

i like using an old pair of nylons (or $1 store ones) cut the leg off, insert the yarn and tie it close to the skein - that way if doesnt come unraveled. tried the lingerie bag once - oh what a mess that way - LOL!!

Well, my DD is allergic to acrylic yarns. It's not the dyes but the petroleum that she is allergic to.

She developed a latex allergy early on-about age 4 or 5. My waterproof gardening gloves turned her hands into a mess. So far it's only a contact allergy that responds to creams and benedryl.

When she learned to crochet she loved the bright colors of RH and I bought her several skeins. She breaks out just touching them. We found that putting vasoline on a patch of rough skin gave her the same reaction. Her doctor says that some people are just sensitive to petrolem products. We had to replace her sleeping bag, back pack, shoes, and some of her toys. She just can't touch the products made from petroleum. Kinda hard to play basket ball and not touch the ball!:lol

She loves to crochet and cotton is readily available. So she is still a happy camper in the crochet department. Now that she is a teenager clothes shopping is another matter. The "new" polyester-I mean microfiber-is out for her. Besides who would want to wear plastic in the desert anyway?:think

So folk consider the possibility that it's the FIBER itself and not dyes or residue from pesticides or packing materials. My DD can handle occasional contact with petroluem made goods but to hold them or wear them for long periods of time, especially if it's humid or she is wet or sweaty, will cause hives every time.

HTH

Michelle in Southern AZ

Another possibility is that the yarn you bought was previously purchased and returned to the store. If the person who bought and returned the yarn had cats and they contacted the yarn.... well that could possibly explain the sneezing. Very interesting though. Keep us posted on what the Red Heart folks say. I'd love to know!

Irene

Any other suggestions on how to launder skeins of yarn before use? I have about 100 skeins in my stash of RH SS I just might wash instead of get rid of.

Archived