Why I give my projects away instead of selling them.

I've been working on the Prairie Star afghan (free pattern at purplekittyyarns.com) and my mind starting wandering (as it frequently does:blush ). I realized that it only takes me about 8 minutes to make, and connect, each motif. Very quick, I thought. So I asked myself, How long does it take to do the entire afghan? :think So, I counted how many motifs there are and multiplied by 8 minutes. It takes approx. 30 hours, not counting sewing in all the loose ends.

Now, if I were to try to sell this afghan I would have to figure the amount I spent on the yarn, :yarn 9 7oz skeins at about $2.00 each = $18.00. Then I'd have to figure how much my time is worth. So even if I paid myself just the minimum wage (which the federal is $5.15 per hour),that would be $154.50 for the 30 hours of work. Adding those figures together would be a total of $172.50!!!:eek

I would really have a hard time selling my afghan for that amount of money, especially since I think my time is worth more than minimum wage. :hook I've never tried to sell any of the items I make, instead I choose to give them away to family, friends and charities. But, now I know why... I'll just keep giving them to people who I know will get a lot of joy out of knowing it was made with love, just for them.:manyheart

I give mine away as presents quite often, and for a long time I argued with myself what the "value" of the present is worth - is it how much I spent on the yarn (sometimes quite a little) or is it how much time I spend on it (sometimes quite a lot!). My most recent "formula" is a combination of the two - the price of the yarn if I *were* to buy it new, as well as a relative amount of time it takes. Therefore, if I spent $15 on yarn for an afghan, I have NO problem using it where I would normally spend $30 for a shower gift, etc.

I've given this a bit of thought too - have you noticed that quilts frequently run in the :eek $150-500 range. Why is quilting valued more than crochet? :think Quilts are frequently made of scraps. :devil

I don't sell my crochet. I crochet because I love it :manyheart and to relax :hook . If I were to sell it, well that would just open up a whole box of stresses :eek (I can stress over what to feed the dog for dinner :yes), and who needs that!:no

The min wage may be high but other jobs don't pay well at all. The job I'm doing right now, if I were doing it in Michigan I would easily make another $6 grand a year.

Plus the cost of living is ridiculous here. You can't afford to buy a house with a decent amount of property unless you're John Travolta. (Yes, he lives in my town although I've never seen him.) It's outrageous here. At least as opposed to NY we don't have a state tax. That would kill us...

I have a hard time charging for my work. The only time that I charge is when someone that I hardly know asks for something specifically. Usually I just make stuff and give it away. Or I start to make something and someone from my family or friends will comment that they would like to have one like that. Guess what? It just became theirs. :hook

Well, I think it is great that you have the ability to make gifts for friends and family.

On the subject of wages...

In Oregon we have so many people that are highly educated and have No job prospects at all in sight. There is even a shortage of medium paying jobs. The only jobs around here are for minimum wage and Oregon's Minimum wage is $7.50. It sounds nice, but we have Lots of state taxes including income taxes. We also have taxes on selling any item (you are suppose to have a business tax #) to sell anything including for Ebay. Even if there is no taxes we have some cities with laws that require a license to sell. Even if it is only one or two items. They want their share of your money. They want you to pay a tax on your yard sale income too. Now most people don't know the tax laws so; most people don't know that it is the law.

Oh, I almost forgot, we even have a law that states that if you receive any gift over a certain amount (can't remember the amount now) that you are suppose to pay taxes on that item too.

I often give my work as prestents. A dear lady I met on line wanted me to make her some discloths. I did. I make rather large ones. Knowing that after several washings. 100% cotton shrinks.

I told her how much I would charge her being a friend. She wrote back and told me I was under charging my self. So she sent more than I ask.

We work hard on our hand work. I think we should not short change ourselves. If the person wanting you to do the work. Then they should relaize they are hiring you. A lot of people take us for granted. Thinking we are worth it. But, You go and buy something hand made at the craft shows and see how much they charge. I think we are worth it. :clapPINKROSES remember the song She works hard for her money. Well we do.:lol

I wouldn't know how much to charge for an item I make. Do you go by a like item in stores or by the exact cost and time for you to make it?

Just wondering.

Our minimum is $9.39 :s But id charge at least 3 times that for my time. People never appreciate the time and effort that goes into handmade items. Its a shame really

I've given this a bit of thought too - have you noticed that quilts frequently run in the :eek $150-500 range. Why is quilting valued more than crochet? :think Quilts are frequently made of scraps. :devil

I don't sell my crochet. I crochet because I love it :manyheart and to relax :hook . If I were to sell it, well that would just open up a whole box of stresses :eek (I can stress over what to feed the dog for dinner :yes), and who needs that!:no

I feel the same way. I have made things and it just stresses me out. What if it isn't the length, width, color, etc. that they wanted? Or am I charging too much (too little) etc. for this item? Or will I get it done in time for the person who needs it done next week, tomorrow, yesterday? Who needs the stresses? It is so much easier to make it as a gift of love and be done with it. No real time expectations (well, for a new baby, maybe before the baby turns 3). No extra stress in a world that can stress us out at the drop of a hat or bomb.

I think to give your time and money in the form of a gift is worth the effort. I think it makes the world a little better.

Linda:manyheart

For the most part we definetly undercharge ourselves to much and don't value our time like we should.:yes

PS) I'm loving the raise to 6.40 in florida and it will go higher when it is re evaluated for cost off living regularly.:clap

This being a right to work state wages are lagging behind the cost off living rising- and being elevated by the housing boom.

I don't think the people who are moving down here realize they are getting a 200,000 mortgage and making half as much as up north and still paying the same price for everything else.

"I've given this a bit of thought too - have you noticed that quilts frequently run in the :eek $150-500 range. Why is quilting valued more than crochet? :think Quilts are frequently made of scraps."

Ok, I quilt too. Most quilters don't use scraps anymore. I do more crochet, only because the materials are actually much cheaper. I got the material for the afghan I'm working on now for about $20.00. The same size quilt would cost at least $100.00. You have to take into account the material for the top, just as much material for the backing, then the batting to go inbetween.

I never use the cheapest yarn or fabric, but I don't use the most expensive, either.

Most people today want something for nothing and aren't willing to pay for quality hand made items.

I also give my crocheted items away. My hubby and my sister-in-law said that I should sell my items instead of giving them away. My sister-in-law wanted me to set up at a craft show ($50 a table) and she said that she would help me. I told her (and my hubby) that I truly get more enjoyment out of giving my things away rather than selling.

Minimum wage in Pennsylvania is $5.15 an hour. They just passed a bill that will raise minimum wage up to $7.15 but that will not be until July 2007 and then they said that they are going to give the smaller businesses more time.

And when I was in high school, employers were allowed to pay less than minimum wage. When I was working while in high school, they could pay you $2.85 an hour and that is what I earned (I graduated in 1985). I don't know if businesses can still get away with that.

i do both, give my treasures away and i also sell them, when i sell i use this formula, i add how much the yarn or thread is(except for some special yarns, then i multiply it by 4, unless as i said it did not cost me that much to make but took alot of me, such as a doily, then i use the minimum wage which here is also 7.50 i believe is hard sometimes for me , as many times i fall in love with the item myself and some how never get around to making mysef, i think the best thing to do is check your local boutiques, if you find something along that line and it seems to be close and then price with that original item, then list it for that item. i wish you lots of luck selling it:manyheart :manyheart :manyheart

I feel the same way. I have made things and it just stresses me out. What if it isn't the length, width, color, etc. that they wanted? Or am I charging too much (too little) etc. for this item? Or will I get it done in time for the person who needs it done next week, tomorrow, yesterday? Who needs the stresses? It is so much easier to make it as a gift of love and be done with it. No real time expectations (well, for a new baby, maybe before the baby turns 3). No extra stress in a world that can stress us out at the drop of a hat or bomb.

I think to give your time and money in the form of a gift is worth the effort. I think it makes the world a little better.

Linda:manyheart

Exactly what I meant to say!:hug

"I've given this a bit of thought too - have you noticed that quilts frequently run in the :eek $150-500 range. Why is quilting valued more than crochet? :think Quilts are frequently made of scraps."

Ok, I quilt too. Most quilters don't use scraps anymore.

FelixLake - I meant the scraps comment as humor :blush - no disrespect was intended. :oops

Archived