Teddy Bears

I have just finished an interesting mystery "Mourning Teddy". This concerned a teddy bear made to commemorate the sinking of the Titanic. Only a limited number of copies were made. Anyway, I think I am going to start a collection! At my age! (60) My husband says, why bother, but I hope to collect some small artisan bears, and I am going to try to crochet a few. Can't afford big bears, but I think it is so important to keep actively pursuing new interests, no matter how old a person is. And, I will leave a small legacy to my daughter.

I am addicted to teddies, having aquired over seven hundred of them. A good source for collectables are thrift shops. I buy bears that " growl " at me. collecting is a matter of personality.....the bears, not you. certain types will always be more collectable (expensive) than others. I buy plain bears and dress them. Most " fat " doll dresses will fit them and there are premade costumes available....A.C.Moore is one ( I live in Canada and have limited access to US stores) As for leaving a legacy for your daughter, then I think you would want to pursue making your own bears. There are so many toy making books available. I would suggest a visit to your local library because these books can be incredibly expensive and personal experience says to really read the book before investing in it. Some are really good and others....well if you can't say anything nice.....stuffing is the hardest part. You can use most any kind of thread or yarn and I would start off with embrodiered eyes because of the expense of bead and glass eyes. And by the way sixty is not old!!!!!! Grandma Moses started painting at eighty-four

Thanks for the great suggestions, craftconniel 1. I am planning to start with the 13 inch bear in the about.com patterns. It looks cute, even though it is just a drawn picture. You are so write about thrift shops. I know Goodwill is a good source for stuffed animals, as I have seen many there.Thanks again for starting me on the "teddy bear traill"!

60? old? don't make me laugh. My grandmother in her 80's, crocheted up 'til she died. I got her knitting basket and a big bag of granny (LOL) squares she was making 'til she got too sick. I hope to put them together some day (it's been a few years).

Ellie 13

Archived