reuse stuff!!

Hey everyone I was thinking we do so much to help everyone with the giving blankets, hats, and multiple other things why not help the earth? Instead of through a tolet paper tube away wrap your tread around it. make a hook holder out of used cans or glass jars. store beads or stich counters in pringle cans or french friend onion cans. use pop sickle sticks to decorate these things!!

I grew up with parents who had come through the great depression. What you are describing was and is a way of life for us.

Way beyond just crafting...to making our own clothing and chopping our own firewood.(we have our own tree factory).. canning our own veggies, etc. etc.

But a nice reminder. :)

It is important to use what is already out there, so it doesn't go into a landfill.

Purchasing hooks, needles, notions and yarn at thrift stores and estate sales helps out quite a bit. I check my local stores regularly and get many things I need or new things. I have also frogged old afghans, that can be tricky though.

Debbi

We recycle everything here - glass, plastics, newspapers, magazines, steel, aluminum. Our plastic bags go to the Humane Society. We grow our own veggies. We use cloth diapers and cloth toilet paper. We breastfeed too. We are very enviro friendly. Its nice to see a younger appreciation for environmental awareness. :-)

I have always done those kind of things I've even baught clothes from charity shops(they are like 2nd hand shops but the money goes to charities) and frogged things to reused the yarn and I'm actually planning on buying some more to frog and then hopefully someday dye...I'm not sure what with though I'll have to have a look at what Kool Aid is made of...does anyone know? I also draw and paint so I always use cans and pringle tubes for my brushes and pencils and I also use alternative things such as used teabags and such to draw with...it's just my way of life just my little share in the process of helping our beloved mother earth:manyheart

I always save all my toilet paper and other cardboard cores for my son's gerbils. They love to run through them and chew on them, and what they shred becomes part of their bedding.

When the bedding becomes old, it goes right in my compost pile (people raise their eyebrows when I say this, but gardeners will understand...I love my compost pile).

I have frogged thrift shop sweaters, hats, pillows etc. & reused the yarn. I have also bought lg. clothing, taken all buttons, zippers & trim off it & used the fabric to make dresses for my daughter ( the scraps always go in a quilt). I use old bedspreads/blankets for quilt stuffing. I reuse butter/& other bowls,

coffee cans etc. When I get too many, I take them to a nearby elem. school for the teachers. They love them. If they're not used for storage, the kids use them to plant flower seeds, play in the sand etc. Some old fabric (or crocheted) items can be used in their texture box. Always think of schools/daycares when you have these types of things to dispose of.

Pringles cans ROCK!!! I use them for everything. The tall ones I use to store paint brushes, pens, pencils, etc. and the short ones I use for everything else. Now Lays has Stacks or Stackers out. They are Lays chips stacked in a tube like Pringles only the tubes are plastic. I like the plastic tubes because I can wash them and use them for other things.

I also use cans, bottles, jars and other recycable stuff in my crafts. And I never pass up an opportunity to thrift shop for old sweaters to frog or redo.

I've used the prinlge cans for candle molds. They are tearable and leave an interesting impession on the finish product.

Any container that doesn't leak or melt and can be easily removed is great for candle molds.

I also melt down old candles and strain off the debris and wicks.

Some of the purchased candle's scents will stretch suprising long when mixed with other wax.

I think us crafters are all ultimate recyclers. re-use, reduce, recycle....nothing goes to waste even plastic bags!!!!! berry baskets become doll beds, margarine tubs become purses, tin cans become canisters, vases from glass jars, and pringle cans become banks. what can't we make into something useful? Ive seen used wire made into sculptures through crochet and " chain-mail "vest for a medieval festival made from soda can pull tabs. What's the most unique item you've seen made from crochet and recycled materials?

We reduce and reuse whatever we can. We also grow some of out own vegetables...but have limited space. Our aluminum cans go to help local children charities and pet shelters. I recycle yarn and I do use the toilet paper rolls when I am winding my yarn. I don't buy pringles but my cans, glass and plastic are always recycle and I don't use plastic if I can buy it in a glass container. I also shop for products that have coupons on them to save for education. I think that we are getting so large as a society that if we don't recycle that we will all be living on landfills.

I use coffee cans (the large ones) for yarn and thread storage rather than buying a yarntainer. Honestly, if we were to all (as in the world, not aiming my wagging finger at C'vellers) recycle just a little, it truly would add up!

I love to recycle stuff!

I use altoid tins for stitch markers & mini sewing kits.

I shop thrift stores a lot for odds & ends & yarn/craft mags.

I often re-use cans, empty water bottles, pringle/lays containers etc for different things.

Recently I crocheted a small pool bag for carrying sunblock & a bottle of water in & at the bottom of it I put a *topless* plastic bathroom wipes container. It keeps the bottom shape & is very helpful to keep little things like my watch from getting "lost" in it. If need be I can even slide the container up & out of the bag.

It's cool to recycle!

Cloth toilet paper? Wow, that's amazing. I don't know, I live in NYC, where people just don't seem to care, so it warms my heart to hear what you are all doing. I work in a very large corporate law firm and the waste here is disgusting. Paper, plastic, etc. It's so upsetting. I've recently started taking plastic bags to reuse at the grocery store. Seems simple enough, yet noone else was doing it. What's it going to take for people to start getting it. Anyway, thanks, you all made my heart a little happier today.

Archived