Crocheting at the beach.....

Any suggestions on how to keep my crochet sand free when I'm at the beach next week? I want to be able to crochet in between reading, swimming and sun bathing. :clap

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful help!

Hi Jess,

Here are a couple ideas that I use/do for either the beach or the pool. Buy zip lock bags- depending on how large the project is you can use either the gallon or the 2 gallon sizes. I also have a nice beach bag that zips on the top and is water-proof. Definately keep extra skeins of yarn in separate zip lock bags!

Have fun!

Heh heh heh... if you find out, let us know!

I guess an actual tip (instead of heckling) would be to at least crochet something highly washable and that won't trap sand as badly. Thread crochet, perhaps (but keep your hooks out of the sun - ouch!), or venture into plastic bag crochet or the like. And take old hooks that you won't mind as much if they get gooky, sandy, or lost.

And smaller projects will be easier to keep out of the sand/puddles at pool. Again, this makes thread a good candidate, but squares or something would work, too.

Zip lock bags and small projects are the best ideas I have as stated above. I keep all my "travel" projects in zip lock bags - just easier to take along on the plane or at the beach, etc. I also try and take hooks I don't care if they get lost - I leave the good ones at home. Have fun!

Definitely leave the good hooks at home. Be careful with plastic bags in the sun....Condensation can form and you could end up with mildew. I like to take projects that don't require "thinking" because I don't want to end up frustrated. I don't like big projects like afghans because of having to cart around the yarn and I never take a ' must be finished ' project beause it is vacation and you might actually not want to crochet.....what am I saying? I prefer cotton over yarn because yarn can get hot to work with. Have fun, and play safe!!!!!!

I recently read a tip that might work out well for you, but, honestly, I haven't tried it myself yet......get a large ziplock bag for each skein of yarn, and clip off a tiny part from one corner,thread the yarn through the corner so the skein stays clean and I imagine not very sandy.....it was actually suggested in another place to eliminate pets from getting too friendly with the yarn and getting it covered with pet hair!

You all totally rock! :cheer Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'll have to let you know how it turns out staying sand free! Definitely think that we'll stay within the "small" project range!

I'm at the end of a short vacation and brought crochet to do but haven't done much. I have been too busy shopping at needlework and quilt supply stores. A visit to Herrschner's outlet left me with a much improved stash of yarn and cross stitch supplies. The area around Madison WI is full of great stores and I'm lucky to have a husband who is willing to read the paper while I shop (when he isn't with me saying "are you sure you don't need more of this?"); quilt shops are his favorites, but he is a willing accomplice at the others, too.

Archived