Yarn, Yarn, Yarn - How Much Yarn Stash Do You Have?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my 8 year old with the ballerina barbie outfit she just finished!

ballerinabarbie.jpg

Congratulations on the yarn !!

Loved your purses!

Question- Did I read that correct? Did you say that your 8-year old made that Barbie outfit herself? If she did--- Can I send my 9 year old to your house for a week in August and will you teach her how to do that :lol

She's very competitive so a little competition might spark her interest in crocheting !!

Lorraine:

Yes my 8 year old made the barbie ballet outfit. She just finished another one this afternoon that is a dress with an apron and headband. I will try to post later. She is getting really good at crochetting. She loves it and is hooked!! She has been crochetting every morning (since school has been out) for about 4 hours each morning and then again in the evenings with me for a few hours.

Laurine

P.S. Note we share a name. I have never met another person with the same name. We just spell it different. I was named after my grandmother's best friend (they are from Fance) so my name is the french spelling and pronounced ( la rain ).

OH MY GOSH! I tried a Barbie outfit and after 4 times frogging it I gave up!!!! How in the world did your 8 year old do this???

Believe it or not Laurine, my nieces middle name is Laurine, and it's spelt the way you spell it! How is that for a small world?

That is increadible!! Do you have french ancestors? Hey where do you live in South Carolina? I have family in Greer. Wouldn't it be a really small world if you knew them!!

Oh man - wish I'd seen this thread sooner, I could have easily helped you out! As I am currently not working, my yarn stash is GOLD to me! :c9 Here are some shots of the stash that resides in my living room, where I do all of my crocheting:

There is more piled up at the top of this pic, just couldn't fit it all in...

LvgRmStash1.jpg

LvgRmStash2.jpg

LvgRmStash3.jpg

LvgRmStash4.jpg

LvgRmStash5.jpg

In the two "tall" stash pics, there are 18 gal containers at the bottom of of the stacks, hiding behind the other plastic bins/bags/totes and what-have-you. I didn't take a pic of the stacks of pattern books/magazines piled around my chair and next to the TV area. (Oh, the cabinet around which my stash is piled is a wardrobe and does hold clothes, lol! Closet space is nearly nonexistent in this tiny house. The wardrobe was given to me by a friend who had no use for it, lucky me.) That's just the living room.

In the bedroom, I have 4 of those ziplock XXL bags and one rolling underbed storage bin stuffed under the bed, plus 3 XXL bags and an assortment of smaller bags, backpacks and totes stacked in the corner that stands as tall as me, all full of yarn.

Then there are the bins in the basement - 2 25 gal bins and 5 18 gal bins.

Most of these bags and bins are packed tightly with yarn (I have one full and nearly a second one filled with thread which, due to the way it comes wrapped on a large hard hollow tube, cannot be packed into it's storage container as tightly - unless I rewind it. I'm working on it.) and needed to have stuff piled on top of them in order to keep the lids from popping off/open!

Since I can't sit at the computer for more than short periods right now due to a health issue, it will take me awhile to finish reading through this thread. I did scan it real quick to see if you made your goal, though. So glad to see you did! :yay If there hadn't been the added urgency of needing to come up with your goal in time for hubby to do that shopping, I feel pretty certain that you could eventually meet that goal a few times over - with as many members as we have here, I can assure you there are a LOT of us working hard on building a serious stash. :lol:hook I know in my case, nearly all of my stash came from great sales (rarely ever less than 40 or 50% off retail price) and clearances (at least 60 to 75% markdowns), often combined with savvy coupon applications (daily visits to multiple shops during coupon week - not so economical now, with the price of gas! :eek) to give me more bang (or rather, yarn!) for my buck. I must have known there might come a time when my stash would become my "store" and be necessary to help me keep on crocheting despite financial hard times. Stash is yarn in the crafter's "bank" and, as far as I'm concerned, a necessity! I'd go without food before I have to go without my yarn! Fortunately, that hasn't had to be a decision I've had to make, though.

Okay, off to the couch for some yarn therapy! :yarn:hook

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS OH MY GOSH!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek

MY HUBBY GIVES ME A HARD TIME ALL THE TIME ABOUT HOW MUCH YARN I HAVE AND HOW MUCH I BUY. I PALE SEVERELY IN COMPARISION TO ALL OF YOU. :nworthy :nworthy

ARE YOU ALL SITTING?

I HAVE 1 TOTE THAT IS A 25 GALLON RUBBERMAID! :rofl

HE TEASES ME ALL THE TIME AND SAYS THAT I HAVE ENOUGH YARN TO CROCHET US A NEW HOUSE! :bounce

WAIT UNTIL HE SEES THESE PICS IN THE MORNING!:devil (HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW LUCK HE'S GOT IT!) :rofl

CONGRATS ON THE NEW YARN! :clap

HAPPY CROCHETING! :c9

Ok, I showed my hubby your pics and he just stared for a few seconds then looked at me and said, "Hunny your level of self control is astonishing and I worship you"!!! Ha, so I off to buy more yarn!! Michael's is have a sale aaaaannnnnndddddd, I have a coupon too!!! Thank you goldie316!!!! Thank you everyone!!!! Must shop!!

:lol Well I'm glad to see I was able to help you out after all! Have fun shopping! :shop

So, did hubby buy all that luscious yarn from the I'd Rather Be Knitting shop? If so, that is one dedicated man you've got there - the store is a bit of a distance from Fox Lake - I used to live in Fox Lake, and I have been to that shop and drooled myself silly, lol! In fact, my last gift (for mom's day) from dd was a gift cert there, so I got to do a bit more than drool. :shop:hook

I can't tell you how many times I've rearranged those piles from those pics just in the last month alone, only to have to go digging around in them looking for a specific yarn and messing the whole lot of 'em up again, lol! I do know I've got at least 4 more 18 gal bins' worth of yarn to be sorted and bagged, in order to get that mess back under control. I had been working on getting all CLEAR bins for my yarns so that it would be easier to find what I'm looking for without ripping the whole works apart each time. It works to a point!

Yes he got it all from I'd Rather Be Knitting. He said it was about 35 minutes from where he was staying in Foxlake. He said they also had beautiful knitting needles and crochet hooks. He said they were real expensive though. The large white hank of yarn (Ironstone) he got me was $38.95 so I can just imagine!!! It was all real pretty stuff, the pictures didn't do it justice!!!

Well, I CAN tell you that this shop is located in one of the more expensive outlying suburbs of Chicago, which is one reason why the prices were so high - they tend to be a bit higher than "normal" LYS standards, as a result. But it's a very lovely little shop (well, actually, not so little, by LYS standards) located in a quaint little shopping district filled with artsy-craftsy types of shops along with antique stores and such. Median home prices in that town start at around a half a mil and there are some truly gorgeous places there, at least the ones you can generally see from the road! Despite that potential for snobbiness, however, the ladies who run the shop seemed to be extremely nice and it's one place that will remain on my recommended list as a result. No looking down their noses at crocheters found there!

Although there are a few other LYS shops in that general area, they are rather few and scattered, so I guess he didn't do too bad with the choice he made, and you certainly made out like a bandit as a result! They have one of the largest, nicest collections of all the high-end name brand yarns that I've seen, a fabulous place to lose a healthy chunk of time petting yarn and drooling! Sounds to me like you've got yourself a keeper there - men like that are few, most of 'em already attached to members here! :lol

NOT FAIR!!

i get in trouble for having 1 tote of yarn and a tote bag of WIP's grr

and most of that yarn has a project, such as my blanket... if i took out all the blanket yarn id have 1/2 a tote full

and the tote doubles as my night stand

grandmoms stash is in a huge tote and a trash bag... i can litterally fit in the tote... and im allowed to tap into that (as long as it doesnt have a project yet), but most of it is icky 70's junk (think bright orange...) and scraps so i rarely go in it

and she lives 2 states away... so yeah

shes been meaning to return some of the new un-used stuff but i doubt she will... some of hers is hand me downs...

and im 16 so i get in trouble with mom and grandmom (even though shes worse than me)

Nobody in my house except me, the cats, and the spare bedroom with the large closet, and I only recently started to get enough yarn to fill that closet. The dog (a pug) is beginning to look nervous, though . . . hey, where is the dog??

well iv got 15 tubs (about 15 gals) mpacked full and then about 3 30 gal tub packed full pluse several lage shopping bags full of yarn cause they wont fit in the tubs and i constantlly buy more especilly anything on sale u never know what u might need. i also have 7 30 gal tubs just packed full of pattern books several old ones that i got from my grandmother and i keep buying more of them to. i just always find another book or type of yarn that i just have to have.

I think I have too much yarn... a couple drawers of a bureau...a couple wicker baskets in the closet...some more in plastic boxes in the corner of my room...some tucked downstairs in a closet..some in garbage bags behind my treadmill and I dont think I will use them all...I think I need to purge and only buy yarn for the projects on hand..

three storage tubs in my attic

two large spacesaver bags underneath my bead

one sweater storage container (full of crochet cotton, nylon, and plastic canvas thread)

Four wicker covered baskets beside my bed

two storage containers behind my bed

one six foot tall storage hanging contraption in my craft room

one four shelf organizer container (that was suppose to be for office supplies)

-FULL of yarn

Yes my husband thinks I have issues.....

And this isn't my only hobby :)

I'm so glad you won your bet!

I bow before all of you! I aspire to such yarn heights. I've been crocheting a year and a half now, so I only have: one 18.5 gallon tub (and I thought I had a "stash"...ha!) plus my three "WIP" totes, each of which I can stuff an afghan and a couple pounds of yarn into.

I am not yet married, but my DB (darling boyfriend?) is showing every sign of being perfectly content with my yarn hobbies. We have come to an agreement, you see: I can have as much yarn as I want, so long as I don't make him pretend to have any idea what I'm doing. He will, however, smile and nod and be genuinely grateful for anything I make him.

Haha Keiyla,

I am in the same boat. My boyfriend just shakes his head when I go to the yarn isle..but when he goes to the tool or computer section I don't say anything except remind him that if I can't buy anything, neither can he :P Tools and computer parts are more expensive, right? SO that means I can buy more...hmmm, I might be on to something here :)

Oh, I think I have you all beat!! I have : the bedroomcloset, the fron room closet, the downstairs bedroom, and part of the living room (really large)---all totes and boxes of yarn. But mom has everyone beat--the whole top floor of her house is yarn!! It's in totes and plastic bags in both bedrooms, down the hallway, all stacked up about 6 ft tall (over my head)! There's just a little pathway to walk down the hallway and that's it.There has to be thousands and thousands of skeins of yarn there. I have started to sort it for her (where to really start) and there's a lot of really great stuff up there!!

See, you never can really have enough yarn!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a solution...

Just get (6) 50gal containers... then it won't be (17) 15 gal bins anymore!!! ;) They will not necessarily take up less space, but it will look alot better :) AND... (the best part) if you do buy more yarn, you already have storage set up for it with all those extra bins you have!!!

I have:

1 50 gal rubbermaid container

1 20 gal underbed storage container

1 underbed storage container of indeterminate size (but smaller than the 20.)

I have at least 20 photo/video That should count as about 3, maybe 4 bins.

There is another solution... Tell your hubby to build you a HUGE shelving unit in the extra bedroom... He can make doors for it to hide everything... That way it will be like you are walking into a yarn shop everyday... (although in this shop you can leave without paying!!! )

If only my mother was reading this!!! :) She tells me the same thing... "USE WHAT YOU HAVE... ) Although I have to admit... she has contributed to the problem... Last year she purchased ALOT of the boa yarn for me as sort of an investment into making scarves and headbands for a holiday craft table... Needless to say, other projects came around!!! :) She also wanted socks made... so that was at least three skeins.

Archived