Yarn, Yarn, Yarn - How Much Yarn Stash Do You Have?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a spare bedroom full of yarns, I think I have 40 different boxes (I have each box for each type of yarn, wool, handspun, fun fur, cotton, etc) and then on top of that I have about 50 pounds of unspun fiber waiting for me to spin up. So I should count as 2 people!

I have:

4 22gallong tubs

2 15 gallon tubs

4 pop-up mesh laundry bags

2 old end tables that hold at least as much as a 15 gallon tub

1 3 drawer plastic chest of drawers

plus the projects that I have in the totes that I take with me everytime I walk out of the door.

Hey thank you all for your support!!

We are up to 20 yarn addicts!! Hoooraaaayy some of you count as two you have so much!! I need to work harder and catch up to you! I am half way there!!

Jenksie: Mine is nothing compaired to yours!! Thx:clap

christinacoghill: You do count as two!! Thx!!:lol

wildthing: Lost count? My interpretation of that statement is that you have too much to count, which means more than 17 - 15 gal tubs!!

Hey newbe "shakeyr" aka "Robbie" I know you have a yarn stash, cough it up girl!! Confess!! :P

I am half way there!! Thanks for all of the support!! :cheer

I store partial balls in huge garbage pails....the ones with wheels and just for you I did a quick count of full skeins;108 balls of black because I'm " going to outline grannies in it", and it was on sale, forty balls of beige because I always need beige, 23 barrels of cream because I use it for borders on my afghans and I hate running out of it. I store skeins in cardboard banana boxes store on their side(like a book case) I use banana boxes because they are always the same size no matter which company they come from.....nine of them with thirty six skeins to a box. I have bags of fuzzies and mohair etc........maybe I should count as two stashes (ha-ha) There are cones of yarn under the bathroom sink because I honestly have no room to store them any where else, and zippered pillow cases of yarn on the couch (hubby thinks they're actually pillows and hidden stashes all around the house. He also gave me an ultimatum about not buying any more yarn and after I stopped laughing I simply found better hiding places. (hint hint) I have a sign in my craft room that says GOD GRANT ME ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH ALL MY PROJECTS .....I figure I have to live to a hundred and forty at least

I don't have 15 gal tubs.. I have a shower stash!!

th_showerstash.jpg

But this isn't all, I don't have pictures of the 4 collapsible laundry baskets full of yarn & thread.. the 5 plastic containers on the shelf of my closet.. the bags of yarn by the computer or the bags hiding out in my van. The only places in my house where there isn't yarn is my two kids bedrooms and the kitchen.

I'm also a computer person (not a programmer.. eek.. my mind doesn't work that way), I help to repair & maintain computers at a local community college during the school year.. so I have computer stash too!! (tools & books & extra harddrives.. etc.)

I'm not compulsive for nothing. :) Thankfully my hubby is kind and understanding (hehe.. he better be kind & understanding if he wants to watch his sports in peace & quiet :devil ) he's good with my yarn & computers.

i must admit im a yarn aholic i have a craftroom over flowing ,i had to put sacks in my closet(yarn all over the floor in several sacksin craftroom hidden under round table with long table cloth, a 9 cubby hole shelf full(probablywell over 200 skiens,also have about 100 to 150 balls of #10 thread ,and about50 balls of sugar n cream. not to mention all the kits (about 8 or 10 with yarn included):cheer i have yarn hidden in my closet, and behind my craftroom door and in a little cloth cart i have about 15 or 20 skiens for an afghan(the color is neopolitan):lol when he walks in my room he just stands and shakes his head(if he only knew!!!!!!) so do i qualify?:think:knit

i am the yarn queen:queen:boxi feel sorry for the person that tries to come between me and my stash!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps! and keep the girth of my stash a secret lol jackie the yarn aholic

ok,I have 8 18 gallon totes,2 smaller about half that size,3 regular cardboard boxes,1 3 drawer plastic dresser thing one 4 drawer plastic dresser thing,6 cubby stackables and an entertainment center with doors on the front to hide a 37" tv full.Plus so many backpacks or totebags with one or two projects going in each.Oh and a padded storage thing that sits at the end of a queen size bed also full.Hubby never says anything when I buy more.He is always amazed that I can make anything out of a roll of yarn and sometimes even sits with me while watching tv and pulls out knots or whatever little bit that will help keep me going. No,not perfect but he is really good about my crochet stuff:manyheart

This is terrific!! Due to space & money constraints I'm keeping myself contained to what will fit in the front closet, so I'm not really in the running for this at all...but I thought it might help if you let your DH know that when my DH & I talk about when we get to buying a house...it has to have a full basement so that I can have a place to store my yarn!! We're at least 3-4 years off from even starting to look at houses, but he already knows that I'm going to need a whole room just for my yarn by then LOL!! So, you can tell him that, while you've got an impressive yarn collection going, at least the collection isn't going to make you pick one new house over another LOL!!!

and a little funny...every time my DH opens the front cloest, a few skeins tumble off the pile and hit his legs...he keeps complaining that I've got my yarn attack trained LOL!!!!

Jessie

Same here with no space and no extra money...I have been using what I got ..Quilting frabric,cross stitch stuff and books , my yarn right now fits in a gallon zip lock bag and a larger one ..:(

here is my wall of crafting the rest of the walls are used up by fish tanks bird cages and the computer desk..:yes

th_IMG_6043.jpg th_IMG_6041.jpg

[/url]

Count me in! I have a fourth of the basement full of yarn, It outgrew my dedicated bedroom and I just had to move it. I have a full wall of shelving full of yarn and another four tubs and a foot locker full. I'm bad, bad, bad about yarns! Oops forgot about the box in the front bedroom! lol!:lol :lol

I have a room just for my yarn and crafting supplies. Although most of my yarn isn't in tubs, This is what I have. 3 Tubs, 3 antique steamer trunks, 1 large dresser, 1 sideboard, 1 corner hutch, which is huge, 1 buffet, 4 suitcases, 5 large gym bags, and the closet. I think if I would put this all in tubs I'd have as many as you. I am so lucky my hubby is llike he is. You see ladies, you can't send mine to a Walmart or a Michaels store by himself, If I do he comes home with not only the yarn I sent him for but any other yarn that catches his fancy or is on clearance.

I am so lucky my hubby is llike he is. You see ladies, you can't send mine to a Walmart or a Michaels store by himself, If I do he comes home with not only the yarn I sent him for but any other yarn that catches his fancy or is on clearance.

Wanda, I think your hubby should hold seminars for other husbands.. teach them the proper appreciation of yarn and how to shop for yarn. :D

I must admit that I was getting quite a stash, but hubby is out of work right now and I only work part-time (for $$ for my yarn stash). But since hubby is out of work, I'm saving my $$ just in case. He should be going back to work in 2 or 3 weeks. If I don't go through my $$ on bills, then I am going to get lots of yarn after he goes back! I've gone through a lot of my stash these past 2 weeks, still have a lot, but not enough. I'm going through withdrawl symptoms! I went to Wal-Mart today and had to restrain myself from getting more yarn! I'm glad that I am not the only one addicted to yarn!

Ok everyone we are up to 27 yarn-a-holics!!! Only 23 to go. My husband is currently in Foxlake, IL on business and when I told him that I was halfway there he did not believe me!! He upped the anti and said if I get the 50 he will buy me some yarn in Chicago!!!!!! :cheer:c9 !!!! Ok, help me out here, and are there any IL members who can direct him to a good yarn shop in Foxlake, IL, cause I am going to win!!! Thanks for all the help so far!! No more complaints about my yarn stash AND some new yummy yarn from IL, that is an offer I cannot refuse, so lets go girls!!

Hey, our Walmarts here in Modesto don't carry much in the way of yarn!! So unfair!! We only have Michael's, Beverleys and Joanne's although Joanne's doesn't really have a good selection. But what we do have are specialty shops!! When I walk into one and sink to me knees in the carpet, I so know I am in trouble $$. Talk about expensive!! Crystal Palace, Berraco, Ironstone, and the list goes on and on!!

Lisaizme: Too funny! LOL:lol Love the shower shot!! What do you do when you need to shower? Thx!

Craftconnie: All I can say is :hook You also are a yarn Goddess and I worship you!! You count as 2!! Thx!

Smithvilleana: You definately qualify and my lips are sealed!:yes LOL!

cb1274: Is the area where the TV goes full of yarn!? Where is the TV!! Cool hubby, mine likes to untangle the skeins too, he is just frustrated with the storage of the stash!! Thx :D

jessc031778: Sounds like you are definately "hooked" on yarn, ha ha :lol ! Thx.

Goldkeeper: Lordy! What a craft collection. Thx!! :)

Pampsmom: 1/4 of a basement!!!! Can I shop for yarn at your house:hook !! You count as 2! Hey is it all organized? I am freaky that way. My friends laugh at me because I have my yarn divided into catagories, i.e., leftover balls tub, novelty yarn tub, bulky weight yarn tub, finger weight yarn tub, solids, varigated etc.... No, I am not an*l!! I am just organized!!:D

lhasaapsolady: Sounds like your yarn stash definatley qualifies. Can you get your hubby to send out a chain letter to all the other frustrated hubbies:

Quote from Lisaizme:

Wanda, I think your hubby should hold seminars for other husbands.. teach them the proper appreciation of yarn and how to shop for yarn. :D Thx!

The Crochet Fanatic: Hang in there girl!! ;) You will get a fix soon, LOL!! Thx!

Thanks everyone!! Keep um comin, I want new yarn from IL!!!

Laurine

Lisaizme: Too funny! LOL:lol Love the shower shot!! What do you do when you need to shower? Thx!

Laurine

Uh.. I forget to tell people that that shower doesn't drain properly anyway and nobody was using that Bathroom.. (we have 2 others) and sooooooo.. in desperation one day (I had family coming from out of town and needed to clear the yarn out of my living room) Shower storage was invented. TADA!!!

Uh.. (I had family coming from out of town and needed to clear the yarn out of my living room) Shower storage was invented. TADA!!!

I'll have to remember "shower storage" when the downstairs spare overflows!! There is a connecting bathroom!!!:lol

Dragonfli.....I forgot to mention that if sewing and other crafts count, I also have (in addition to what I already posted), 2 large flat bins under my bed and 10 large bins of my sewing and fabric supplies and 4 more large bins with my paper (card and stamping and stenciling) crafts and another large bin with my beads and bead supplies. I've got a lot of stuff...well, at least hubby thinks so....but he doesn't complain because he wants me to be happy in what I do. Would I count for 2 then...with my previous posted stash??

yes the entire entertainment center if full,the space where the tv goes and all the other spaces for the dvd player,vcr and on and on.I also forgot about my 3 wrapping paper storage containers,narrow but a little over 3 ft tall each all full of yarn.I hope you get this,have fun

I can't wait to see the final outcome on this poll! Dragonfli....I'm sure you will win. You have enough yarn-a-holics behind you to support you all the way to the craft store :yes:D:hug We're such funny little :devil LOL!

:dragonfly Ok my hubby and I haggled over the phone for twenty minutes !!! I convinced him that crafting supplies have to count because my bins include sewing supplies for crochet beading, etc., he agreed but only if the crafting supplies contain a substantial amount of yarn!! So Daisy, girl you are in for 2!!! But, that still just brings me to 28!!!! I gotta have that yarn from Foxlake, IL ladies!!! I need more yarn-a-holics!!! or even craft- a-holics with yarn!!!!

Hey I still need someone from IL to advise me as to a yarn shop in Foxlake, IL !!!!

Lisaizme, I hope you don't mind, I copied and sent the pics of your shower to my hubby, it was just too good to pass up:rofl. One problem though, now he wants to talk to your man!!! :blah

If it counts, my aunty has a loft with a christmas tree and the rest is filled with bin bags full of yarn, her spare room is filled with card making and other crafting bits too.

she isnt a member here but im sure you can add her to the list:)

this is fun :)

Dragonfli....you should pm the Crochet Dude and see how much yarn HE has. I bet he has a substantial stash hidden around somewhere. We gotta get the yarn-a-holics out of the closet!:rofl Just trying to help you sweetie....so you can get your new yarn. :yes Maybe if you added to the title of your post; "Yarn Yarn Yarn" - 'Reality Yarn Poll" or 'How Much Yarn Do You All Have?" or something like that, it will grab more people's attention.....only a thought!

You can count me as at least 1 :hook maybe 2 :devil I have 1 -30 gallon tub full to the top. I have a 4 bin wire shelf/bin full of yarn---that is probably equal to 8 -15 gallon bins, then there are several XL ziplock bags full, and other assorted shapes and sizes of plastic bins. that is just in my bed room :lol

Now on to the RV we are living in for a few months. There is one large bin under the RV that is 46" x 23" full of yarn. don't know how many 15 gallon tubs that would be but it would be several. Inside the RV is a compartment that is 27" x 15" full of yarn and patterns.

I probably have more yarn stuffed other places both at home and in the RV but I think I've made my point :lol

Archived