Yarn, Yarn, Yarn - How Much Yarn Stash Do You Have?

Ok, my husband:hug thinks I am nuts, :eek so I am trying to prove that I am not nuts (not where yarn is concered anyway) or maybe we are all a little wacky!! May I see a response for all of you have have collected more than 17 tubs (15 gal each) of various different yarns:yarn . . . . . and . . . . you are still buying new yarn! My husband is frustrated because I have a whole room dedicated to knitting and crochetting supplies (mostly yarn) and that I should use them all up before purchasing more because we are running out of room to put them. I cannot believe that I am the only knitter/crochetter that has a substantial yarn collection. He says he will not mention it again if I can show him at least 50 other knitters/crochetters that have the same or more yarn than I (who don't own a yarn store - yarn store owners don't count -- his rules). Ok ladies, give me a hand here!!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol I don't have that much yarn. But, I do have a lot of fabric as I like to quilt too. Although lately, I have leaned back to crocheting and knitting. Sorry, I can't help maybe someone else can. MY husband is like that with my fabric, :yay I wish you luck :hugPINKROSES

50 15gal tubs? Oh my! Okay, I don't have that many, yet! Does your hubby have a hobby that he collects things for? Tools? Anything?

Um if I had the tubs, I'd be guilty as charged. I have a walk in closet at my home in NC that, well...you can't walk into. Then there's the yarn I brought up to NJ with me...and the yarn in the van (at least I could start a project while stuck waiting at the ER for 5 hours for daughter to have a CT scan). Under the beds at both homes...not to mention what might still be in the camper or shed from when we moved.

I say hubby should be glad you have a hobby that keeps you happy.

Um if I had the tubs, I'd be guilty as charged. I have a walk in closet at my home in NC that, well...you can't walk into. Then there's the yarn I brought up to NJ with me...and the yarn in the van (at least I could start a project while stuck waiting at the ER for 5 hours for daughter to have a CT scan). Under the beds at both homes...not to mention what might still be in the camper or shed from when we moved.

I say hubby should be glad you have a hobby that keeps you happy.

My hubby says you count as 2, yeah only 48 more to go!!

Meet or beat 17 - 15 gal tubs!

Well this might be close, I have 9 tubs and 2 chest of drawers full of yarn plus 2 tubs of cross stitch kits. My kids won't even go to Hobby Lobby with me anymore!!

LOL ok .. I have 5 18 gallon totes, 4 underbed boxes, three of the net pop up hampers, and two suitcases full of yarn. AND I just went to an estate sale and purchased 40 CONES of yarn for $45 ... GUILTY AS CHARGED

I have 15 storage boxes, and a few bags of yarn around the house, and I still buy more yarn :yes

I definately dont own a yarn store, dont even have one locally :no

I'd love a room to dedicate to my yarn, but the kids are too young to leave home yet ;)

I'm sure it is impossible to have too much yarn :think

Im a multicrafter and i have about 5 tubs of supplies at my mums and 3 here (we only have a tiny room in my bfs mums house so as far as the ratio goes i have about 20% of my 'house' filled with wool)

When i move we HAVE to have a spare room which will contain a jewellery workbench, a sewing machine table, a spinning wheel, dyeing space, 4 boxes of beads, 2 large boxes of fabric and so far 3 big tubs of wool. I may find somewhere special for my bobbin lace pillow and my cross stitches too!

Oh and i walk past my LYS every day on my way from work and 9 times out of 10 i go in and buy some more!

I confess, I have 20 tubs and most of them are larger than the 15 gallon tub....and they are loaded and overflowing. I still buy more yarn....hubby doesn't mind because he knows that I crochet for charity and I need what I need. He also knows that it is good therapy for me. He has his model airplane collection....and I have my yarn, so we're even. Actually having a large stash doesn't really mean that you have a large stash....because there is always a need for a certain color, yarn type, and yarn size that we must have to work on a project.......and I think that we all run into that problem when we have a project in mind and we just don't have the right materials to make it.......so it's off to the craft store we go...to get more yarn. And that's not a bad thing! Does that make me number 3? LOL! :hook I love my stash!

Ok--mine are not in tubs BUT...I have 2 entire closets stuffed full. 10 of the ziplock XXL bags, 4 boxes in another closet, my cedar hope chest full, 2 dresser drawers and 4 moer boxes of yarn arrived yesterday. Oh...and this doesn't not count what I have stashed at my mom's.

Our other bedroom is 1/2 full of yarn, plus I have some in that closed also, plus!!! the yarn out here on the couch, I'm using, :hook :hook !!

My husband tells me, "hey, if you want it, GET IT!!!!! because I know you'll use it", it's funny, funny funny:) husbands souldn't have so many rules, what happened to the rest of you?? the better 1/2 of your husbands, just happens to be you ladies!!!:manyheart and what would happen if, we had so many rules just like the guys do?? :eek I know, they wouldn't like it at all,

I do not own a yarn store, either !!

I also do crafts, sew, and I have a whole lot of fabric, and I do not own a fabric store either,

I told my hubby, that I just don't want to run out :hook:c9

Ok I really think I should count., I have a bedroom I can not walk into there is so much yarn, I only have a two bedroom house I have 12 tubs filled, a walk in closet with shelving filled with spools of yarn. In my living room is a box of yarn filled with yarn from Amber of Ambersapfghans which now has other yarns and is over flowing amd in my closet is a large overstufed bag of alpaca yarn, and a big box of Noro.......and I love it, and he HAYES!!!! it:)

Laura

My husband accused me of having yarn in every room in our house! I said I don't have any in the kitchen! LOL I have since organized my yarn and I can safely say that I don't have as much as you do. Sorry I can't help you out!

Ok, back from afternoon court, and a quick check before next appointment. I just need 40 more confessions of yarn collecting to button my sweet hubby's lips on the subject. I am so proud of everyone thanks for the support:

theworm: keep us posted you are so close, maybe after tonight's visit to your LYS?

losingmymind: thank you!

Lady Kindred: two of my fellow crochetters/knitters agree that a chest of drawers count as 4 tubs (we are fudging a bit, but . . . .)

Solitare: Wow, thanks!

Buffle: I love it that I am not alone!

xampx: I am going to keep you on reserve if I come up short I will argue your collection qualifications with him (I always win, may it comes from working in the legal field!!) thank you!

Daisy: see this is what I am talking about, there is nothing wrong with us!! I am going to show yours to hubby personally! thx

tween: you go girl! thx

Around74: Don't you just love it when your new boxes of yarn arive, it is better than x-mas!!

natcat: I am going to show hubby your response and tell him to play the glad game. Be glad it is all in 17 tubs and confined to one room!! Thanks for your support!

laurastar0962: I want to go yarn shopping at your house!!! Sounds yummy!! Thanks!

P.S. My husband is a computer software guy and is on the computer all the time. The computer is his hobby. Writing software code does not require space outside of the computer!! He is very supportive of my hobby and is proud that I make afghans for hospice, and amazed at the Christmas presents I make each year, but his eyes just pop at the amount of yarn I have collected!!

Thanks again for all of the support!!!

Laurine

I don't have gallon tubs. I do have: a large square box filled with yarn, this box is cleverly disguised as an end table, covered w/fabric complete with lamp: The mission style sofa table that sits, where else, behind the sofa offers selter to another box of yarn: 100 50gram balls of mixed yarn, a bag filled with yarn for 2 baby afghans ,a bag with the yarn for the spider web skirt, a basket with several balls of size 10 thread: my closet, oh my closet: it now resmbles a small local yarn shop, (extremely local:) 5 two lb cones of mohair, a 2lb cone of black yarn from England, 20 50gram balls of a wool/acyrlic blend, 15 50 grm balls of a pink/raspberry boucle, then theres the large cones of chenille, 1 med blue, 1 drk blue, 1 brown, 7 space dye, 3 burgundy , 1 eggshell. @ lb cone of sport weigh space dyed acrilyc in brown/black/white Can't forget the 2 hanks( still have to make into balls) of linen/silk blend , the red rayon flake, the blue rayon cones , the mixed lot of 15 balls of green/green white blend. 5 cones of a homespun type boucle. 10 skeins of Homespun in 4 different colors, 700 yards of a beautiful hand dyed something, 12 skeins of white boucle, 12 skeins of mauve woolease, 2 cones of gold metallic . I know that there's more, but I'm not going to go look:: I might scare myself...and yes I do buy more. 2 weeks ago I bought the pattern for the Lisette sweater shawl and went right out and bought yarn to make it with...it turned out great,

Ok ladies, give me a hand here!!

:cheer:clap

:) I only have 6 VERY large containers of yarn (not nearly enough) and several smaller containers for my thread. My hooks are scattered everywhere since I don't have a dedicated place for them. :(

We have a smallish house (3 bedrooms with 6 kids :eek ) so my crochet stuff is in our closet (and all over my desk.:( ) I sure wish I were organized.

Oh, Honey! If your husband thinks YOU have a lot of yarn, he should talk to MY husband! Mine is a saint though. He never ever complains about the fact that I have more yarn than I could ever use in 10 lifetimes, and I keep buying MORE! He just shakes his head & once he mumbled something about an addiction. Well, I freely admit - yarn is my drug of choice! Okay, I've never actually counted the tubs, but I'm sure it's around 30 of the giant tubs, and probably 80 more various smaller tubs and baskets. I have run out of room in my craft room, and the spare bedroom is busting. Also, we have a playhouse outside that's so full you can't walk around in there anymore. I have put myself on a yarn diet recently. And I must say I'm doing better than I thought I would! :yes I have cut wayyyy down. Hope this helps.

I have a standard closet dedicated to yarn (4' x 2' x 8') stacked to the ceiling on shelves. I also have 5 satchel-style bags of yarn with WIPs. And I bought 4 POUNDS of yarn today because ACMoore had cotton mill ends for $5 a bag (and I used a 40% off coupon, too)

GUILTY!

Oh, and my husband has a 2-story garage and back yard full of chevy truck parts....my little ol' closet is not any worry of his.

I feel very left out. I only have 2 tubs - but one is mostly thread. If I went around and collected all projects being worked on or not and a few scattered skeins here and there, I might be able to fill a third tub.

I am so hanging my head in shame that I have so few tubs. What kind of crocheter am I? It is obvious I have a problem. I do take my crocheting addiction seriously. I have been at JoAnn's every Sunday for the last four weeks. I just don't understand my lack of yarn. :think

I will just have to try harder. Sorry I couldn't be of help in your quest to show your husband that it is okay to have lots of yarn. I honsetly believe there is nothing wrong with having lots of yarn. Once you make something, you can't use that left over yarn for the next project - it has to be different yarn. That left over yarn is for scrap type things that can only get made when you have lots of that left over yarn. Doesn't he understand the concept of crocheting!

:hook Well, I'm almost ashamed to say, :blush that I have about 12 of the 18 gal tubs of yarn and thread in one of our sheds, 6 xerox boxes in the house & I'm not sure how much in the other shed :think maybe 5 or 6 more boxes????? And still, I'm always looking at yarn. HUbby???? well, he accepts it, sort of. He realizes, most of the time that it's my hobby and keeps me out of trouble, usually. :yes

And this doesn't take into account some of the other crafting hobbies......sewing, counted cross stitch, plastic canvas, gallery glass, and I forget what else.

Barb

Ok, off work!!! Time to crochet!!!! Yeahhhh!!!!

We are at 16 qualified yarn collectors, yeay!!! Only 34 more to go, but I must tell you, my hubby is already sufficiently impressed, but not enough to back down from our bet!!:(

CrochetCronies: You are on your way to addicted!! Thx:lol

Shelleden: Your diet doesn't sound like a diet I could stick to, but thanks for weighing in. I tried to get your collection to count for two, but hubby laughed and said no way, fair is fair. However, he was quite impressed with Faedragon's collection!! Thx :yes

Feadragon: You are the "Yarn Goddess" and we worship you!!:c9 You count as two!!!!! Thx!!:clap

Crochetmama: I must ask, "If you had more storage space would you have more yarn . . . . . . whhhhhyyyyyy . . . . yyyyyeeee! Thx:hook

Krystal16: Closet . . . . . floor to ceiling . . . . . . oh yeah you made it!!!

luckybmr: LOL, Thx!!:lol

Rosie: Give it time, it sounds like you could easily become a real addict!! Thx.;)

Fuzzbugjr: Don't be ashamed!! You are a contender!! LOL :manyheart

Well I am going to put on my big girl panties (can I say that here) and step up to the microphone: Hi, My name is Laurine and I am a Yarn Addict!! :D

Thanks for all your help!! :yay

Archived