We all love crochet but how about knitting?

Guest Yarnentangled

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knitty.com is wonderful!!!!! And the new winter edition just came out so go check it out for sure!! I adore the "Tempting" sweater and also the "very long socks". But the Uterus is just plain wierd!!!

~Rebecca

well i can knit.. but its frustrating to me.. i am with sampler lady on this..i am much too slow in the time it takes me to do a 3 inch square(which really turns out ot be a trapaziod cause i am stressed out by the end) i can do a WHOLE scarf in crochet..

as much as ppl say it takes more yarn.. its not that much more to crochet..

i guess i am just not patient and would rather spend my time producing than practicing

I tired my hand at knitting, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. It's something I hope to get better at, but for now I LOVE to crochet and to me it is much more fun.

The world of crocheting is relly opening up and there are lots more patterns for us, just like knitters. I think for so long crocheters felt left out, but not anymore.

I have to agree with MrsWho and Crochetdiva. It all depends on what you want to achieve.

I learned to knit in '74, when my first baby was just an infant.My dmil was a whiz at everything, knitting, crochet, sewing and I sure felt inferior since I couldn't do any of those things. So I asked her to teach me. She told me to get a book and see what I could learn on my own and whatever I couldn't "get" she'd help me with. That's what I did. I've made mostly hats, a few pair of booties, and a couple of sweaters over the years. Not to mention loads of UFO's that have gotten lost in various moves.

Once I "mastered" knitting, I tried crochet. My mother had tried to teach me when I was younger but she worked so rapidly I couldn't really see what she was trying to show me. I didn't think I'd ever learn. But once I caught on to knitting I got brave and went out and got one of those little 5x7 Coats and Clark "Learn to Crochet" books and worked at it, and again with my dmil to help when I got stuck, I mastered crocheting too. I'm not adventurous enough to try anything really complicated but I've made plenty of baby booties, baby sweaters, scarves, and afghans.

I like sweaters and hats to be knitted...I like the closeness of the stitches for warmth. But for afghans I much prefer crochet...they're not as limp and stretchy when they're crocheted.

I still haven't mastered crocheting with thread...it's just too fine for me. Someday I'll try again. I still have a few of my late mother's steel crochet hooks.

Sorry to be so long winded.....

Elaine in the Missouri Ozarks

I've been knitting since I'm 9 years old. Sad to say, that's 50 years ago. I worked my way through high school in a knitting store. I got to teach all the people who would come in, thinking they'd start out with a cabled sweater, or something equally as inappropriate. The shop owner had no patience for them. Somewhere in there was when I learned a bit of crocheting. I learned it to do finishings. Never really made things. I'd made an afghan or two, but knitting is what kept me in money for many years.

There was a time when my sweaters sold on Worth Ave. in Palm Beach, FL. I've also worked on knitting machines. I own two that I haven't touched in years now.

Somewhere along the line the crocheting wormed it's way in. It is faster and easier on stiff hands. There are still many things that are beyond my abilities with crochet. Mostly I cannot understand the directions. With knit, if I see it, I can make it. Not so with crochet. But with the inspiration I've gotten from so many of you here, I really am enjoying my crocheting far more and keep running into more and more projects that I just have to do.

~Teri~

• 11 months later...

I really admire those who are able to knit sweaters and the like... I would NEVER be able to stick to it!! Knitting feels so slow compared to crochet and harder to shape. My grandmother was fabulous at knitting... but I never got to learn from her due to language barriers. I did teach myself to knit when I was 10... and gave up after a few months.

I am just in the middle of teaching myself to knit again and so far it is going really well and I am enjoying it. Although it can be slower going I find it easier on my hands and wrists than crochet. Like others have said I think its useful to know how to do both- then you can use the right technique for the results you want to achieve.

Last weekend I made my dd a poncho- using the 2 rectangles technique and chunky wool. I found it actually worked up quicker than the same design one I crocheted for her a couple of months ago. I also prefered the drape of it too.

I think that crochet will always be my first love- simply because I always have so many projects I want to do and get obsessed with getting things finished. But am really hoping that learning to knit works out for me this time.

Hey-

WHen you knit, you don't have to hold the yarn in the "wrong" hand. Just as you can hold a hook either "knife" style or "pencil" style, and either way is OK, you can hold the yarn in either hand for knitting. If you hold it in your left hand, you'll be holding it "continental" style.

I knit A LOT; and I crochet A LOT also!

Edie

I knit and crochet....crocheting is my favorite...but I love to knit socks. I am in the middle of my first pair of knitted, felted clogs...one down one to go. I also was taught the "continental" way to knit. My yarn is in my right hand (I'm a lefty). I find that it is much quicker than the american way (throw your yarn). I love to do both, but crocheting will always be my first love!

I am the only person in the whole world who knits faster than crochets! :blush I think the quality of my crochet work is typically a little higher than my knitting, but lately there's much less of a difference in quality between the two.

I learned to crochet when I was 7-8. My mom told me that knitting was "too hard" and she couldn't do it. She and I both stuck with crochet for years, until she got into sock knitting a year ago -- at the same time I was getting into sock crocheting.

I finally gave into the sock knitting bug in May/June and taught myself to knit with socks. Socks were a fantastic first project for me -- I learned different leaning decreases, short rows, ribbing, patterns, shaping, double pointed needles... it was a weird first project perhaps (and my first sock was before I learned to purl, so it looks very funny), but it worked for me.

Since then I've knit tons of socks, including lace socks, stranded socks, and plain ol' ribbed socks. I've also completed two sweaters (with another almost done), scarves, baby hats, and a multitude of other things. I have been just jumping in and trying new techniques and I don't fear the :2frog !

I still crochet -- and sometimes mix crochet + knitting, like in these socks for my sock swap pal. I find that I am inspired by crochet patterns that I want to take to knitting, and the other way around.

I have one really fantastic crochet pattern idea in my head right now that came about from a knitting project I recently completed. I was thinking of ways to adjust the pattern as a knit project -- then I realized that what I wanted to do was something that was often seen as a "negative" about crochet -- well, it's a feature, and I am going to use it to my advantage (if I ever finish the holiday crafting and have some spare time to test crochet and write up a pattern!).

I like being able to do both and being inspired by both. :manyheart

My first journey into yarn happened with knit. I first learned to knit thinking crochet would be harder so once I learned the basics of knitting I switched to crochet. Boy was I wrong! Crochet is much easier for me.

I knit and crochet....crocheting is my favorite...but I love to knit socks.

I love knitting socks also! I don't think I have the nerve to try knitting something big so socks are perfect for me. I would like to try making a top/sweater at least once. Once is good enough for me :lol

I knit,too. I knit slower and after I start something I get bored and want to frog it.. My Grandkids gave me a yarn ball for Christmas and it has a Pattern and Instruction booklet.(DVD,too.) On how to knit and half a page for Crochet..But it has Continental which I will try after Christmas presents are done....Funny now that I look at the booklet, it has 9 pages with pictures of Knitting the different stitches and patterns. The half of page for Crochet is how to chain and single crochet and no pictures....:angry

after the holidays I am going to teach my self to knit . I want to do it so badly . But if it takes a long time to finish I may flunk at it. I gave up cross stitch because it takes so long. But I will give it a try:manyheart

My mom taught me to knit this summer (she tried to teach me when I was little, but I had no patience for it). I haven't actually made anything other than a bunch of Warm Up America squares so that I could learn different stiches. Mom and I knit continental, but we also do what my friend's German mother calls Russian knitting, which Annie Modesitt calls combined knitting. Mom definitely perfers crochet to knit, and so far, so do I. But I wanted to know how to do both, and maybe be able to make some things in each (and I fell in love with the sweater on the cover of the fall Interweave Knit magazine, which I'll probably never be good enough to make, but it's good to have a goal, right?), and the sister of a friend gave me some knitted socks last year for Christmas. That was so nice and so heartwarming and touching, I had to try. Patty

My neighbor is going to teach me to knit. I always wanted to learn, but ya know, I REALLY love to crochet. I think a lot of love for it comes from the fact that my grandma taught me when I was 7 and it was just something I associate with her.

I know it seems like there is just so much knitting love out in the world, more patterns, more classes, more people .....but I think crochet is really coming into it's own and pretty soon knitters will be out numbered! LOL!

I love to do both. Knitting is more time consuming, and is more dangerous to have knitting needles laying around (with kids) than crochet hooks. But, some things you just can't crochet, and some things you just can't knit. (Like doilies and snowflakes, etc...)

Tina

My mother and grandmother always told me that knitting was very difficult (they were both crocheters) and never learned to knit themselves. I tried to teach myself a few times this year and it was a disaster! lol! I do, however, plan on giving it another go again after the holidays. Both knitting and crocheting have their own beautiful and unique looks, and I'd really love to be able to do both, changing off whenever I found myself bored with one project or another. ;)

But, some things you just can't crochet, and some things you just can't knit. (Like doilies and snowflakes, etc...)

Actually, knit doilies are really cool!

Here are a couple of examples:

http://tmooka.net/blogs/stitchingirl/index.php?p=358

http://tmooka.net/blogs/stitchingirl/index.php?p=354

For the same reason I stand up for crocheted socks and garments, I stick up for knit doilies. :) We can do anything in any format we choose!

[but have I knit a doily? no. crocheted? plenty. :) ]

My mom taught me and my daughter this summer. I've made a couple of things, including a scarf with the free disco yarn and one sock for my hubby. I like knitting but not as much as crochet. I think my daughter is leaning towards the knitting.:(

I love to crochet because it produces a beautiful project in just a little time. I crochet very fast. I've always wanted to challenge the worlds fastest crocheter...he he

Knitting to me is very pretty but very slow. I can crochet an afghan in the time it would take me to cast on 55 stitches and straight knit for 3 feet....hahahahahahaha

Linda :hook

I do 90% crocheting and 10% knitting, and the last time I knit something, I couldn't get it over with fast enough. I love crocheting, but knitting (at least at the moment) just isn't nearly as enjoyable to me. To me knitting seems less "flexible" as a craft, I can do so much more with crochet.

Archived