Aunt Mary'

Carol

My favorite discount yarn shop, Aunt Mary's Yarns, in Rochelle, IL, is closing. This is the end of an era for discount yarn shoppers in northern/northwest IL. Caron used to have a couple of mills in the area, with outlet stores in Rochelle and in Oregon, IL (that one closed some time ago). I was introduced to these stores by my late MIL, who lived near Oregon and bought yarn at these outlets all her life. Sometimes she and I would walk out of these places with Hefty bags filled with yarn that we'd bought for 10 cents an ounce. I've bought yarn there ever since.

Anyway, I talked to Aunt Mary yesterday. She and her husband are retiring and closing the store and website catalog. I had just heard about it and was planning on going out there yesterday, but she said all she has left is wool and the novelty yarns, all of which are 20% off.

She had been doing phone orders, but her website catalog seems to be down now. The toll-free number is 877/250-9276.

<big sigh>

edited to add phone number.

• 2 weeks later...

That's too bad. I really enjoyed that store. I would go as a treat for myself and load up on sale yarn. End of an era!

Linda:(

That's too bad. I really enjoyed that store. I would go as a treat for myself and load up on sale yarn. End of an era!

Linda:(

I thought about it, but it's 75 miles from me, so it wouldn't really be a sale for me if I have to add $20 for gas. Oh, well... All things must pass.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: I did end up going to Aunt Mary's last weekend. (I had to go to my mom's and go right by Aunt Mary's to get there.)

I ended up with 25 skeins of yarn -- mostly Plymouth acrylic, plus 2 Cotton-Ease, and 3 novelty variegated (forget the name) -- and 3 Patricia Kristofferson doily books, all for $53. I was sad as I left though, knowing it was the end of an era here for northern IL crafters.

My LYS just two blocks away is closing, too (cclinda: Tangled Web in Oak Park). Don't know why. Guess I should check them out, too, but I've run out of places to store yarn. (The Aunt Mary's haul is still in the trunk of the car!)

Archived