Speaking of teaching crochet...what do you think of this?

Guest Yarnentangled

i agree with beth. i have taught many many people to crochet and i guess because i don't belong to the guild(way to much money for me the dues are) i guess i am not certified, but you try and tell thatto the people i have taught.:yes :yes :yes :yes they always offer to pay me, but i love to crochet and for others to learn always gives me such a:cloud9 vicki

i hope they are not trying to set a standard.

something similar happened in the pc support industy (i'm a techie girl, i know :computer ). Certifications just made it harder for those without to get jobs. :(

But, since there are so few teachers to begin with (especially when it comes to crafts), i don't forsee it as a problem!

I think if you were meant to teach, you'll teach ^_^

~Marj :D!

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifOf course they are trying to set a standard! :D If one teacher is "certified" and one isn't who are most people going to assume knows more? (And who gets to charge more? And who's FOs are worth more in the market place?) In a world where personal experience doesn't mean diddly anymore, of course they are trying to create an elite group of certified teachers.

It all contributes to "This is the right way, that way is the wrong way" attitude that just torques my jaws. :twocents

i agree with sampler lady. i don't think there is any right or wrong way to crochet. i croceht using the european way of holding my hook, (more like a knitting needle) and is way more comfortable for me. and once there was this "lady" and i use the term loosley thank you, that told me i wasn't doing it the "right" way, but since her croceht works looked like something i would take away from my cat after a hard days playing time, i laughed at her!!!!! she don't talk to me no more:clap :clap :clap :clap:tryme vicki

Oh, now wait..

Anyone who wants to become a certified crochet teacher should send ME $120 dollars.. (that's $5 less than my leading competitor) and I'll send you a certificate!

Guaranteed by the Crochet Chum(p)s of America! :rofl

Here's my :twocents :

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

:sb There a definately some good tips and tricks of the trade that everyone who wants to be successful in crochet should know (the basic stitches, tension and how to read a pattern), but other than that it's about the creative process. You can't certify that...if anything, telling someone: this is the right way and that is the wrong way, kills the whole creative spirit.

A certified instructor would have had a heart attack if they saw my first afghan....I taught myself and had no idea about...anything...but that afghan was warm and looked cool and I made it, which was the most important thing to me.....

Certified Instructors: BAH! end of:sb

~DAWN

Guest NCAugeriFan

As a newbie to crochet, all I would want is someone who can communicate and show me (and have lots and lots of patience) how to do stitches, combination of stitches and how to read patterns in a way I can understand. People learn differently (seeing, hearing, touching, etc) and everyone learns at different speeds and levels. Some folks may get a certain technique quicker than others ~ but as long as the end results are the same....does it matter if a person is certified?

Community colleges or places like Campbell Folk School in the NC mountains that offer crochet classes may require their instructors be certified or have a degree in the fiber arts.

Just my :twocents

Cadie

Archived