Discontinued yarn

does any one else hate it when some one buys you some yarn then you go to get more of it and its been discontinued? That happened this week my ex's grandmother got me some thread that was called baby print and when I went to go get more they said they'd stopping selling it the day before. grrrr

I have had that happen to me at least 2 times! i called all the stores in the area to see if anyone had what i needed. one time it was at the last store i went to and the other i got it off of joanne's on lilne

I had that happen recently too! Got an order for a backpack using the same yarn I'd used to make mine - couldn't find it ANYWHERE! Sure enough, it's been discontinued. I might just have enough left to make it anyway, but what a pain!

You didn't mention what design you were making the baby blanket in. But...would it be possible to make a border of a contrasting color around it to make it bigger?

Doreen

The baby blanket is a big granny square it has a square of pink then baby print around that then yellow around that all having 8 rows

You could pick out another color or colors that go with the colors that you are already using...possibly colors that are in the baby print if you can find them, then finish off with the pink that you started with. The number of additional colors you use would of course depend on how big you want the final size to be. If you cant find the corresponding colors from the baby print, you could use baby blue, pale green, etc to complete.

HTH

Doreen

I had the same problem. I had started a project with Walmart's mainstay. I had checked 3 different walmarts so I asked in Lincoln, NE and the clerk told me that they had discontinued the brand but I could use Red Heart because it was made by the same company just different labels. I don't know if that is true but I'm going to check it out next time I'm at walmart and see if my colors match.

I think it looks great as-is...what are the dimensions?? I always wind up making baby blankets MUCH bigger than they need to be, just cause I'm paranoid that I'm mis-remembering how little my girls were when we brought them home LOL!!

Jessie

• 2 weeks later...
Its between 25-28 inchs on each side and guess what I found the baby print by red heart this time at my wal mart but idk if I'm ganna put another row on it
Most square baby afghans are between 30 to 36 inches. I think yours will be alright. I make mine 36 inches squares. Unless some one wants a crib size, then they should be 38 in. X 46 in. rectangle.

Ellie 13

I always make mine smaller because they are easier to use with carseats, strollers, Moses baskets. I think 28-30" is ideal.

Seems a lot of folks got left high and dry with the Mainstays. A lot of people are looking for it.

I think your afghan looks beautiful! Do a nice border in white and call it done!

• 3 months later...

Archived