Calling all Dog Owners

Yikes, my dog would probably eat it and just get sick. I'm not sure that's a good idea. Rubber toys are generally better for dogs so they can gnaw on them. The fringe seems like a particularly bad idea. I think this would be much better for a cat, since they don't usually eat their toys and are generally "softer" on them. Even then, I'd nix the fringe. If string or yarn is swallowed by a small animal it can get tangled in their stomach and cause problems. Be careful!

I agree, my dog would eat it and get sick. She loves the stuffed toys with the squeekers, but we have to be careful. She chews a hole in them, then starts to pull out all the stuffing!

I usually add a strand of cotton twin or something so it doesnt smell like my crochet yarn and they dont' think my yarn is their "toy"... my dogs chew it and haven't gotten sick. They chew it up. I usually crochet a ball and put it over one of those water bomb balls for kids LOL. They love them! I've also done tug toys but they don't last as long.

Our dogs also pull out the stuffing, so I sometimes avoid those (except the water balls so they can be cool in the summer).

Debbi

Yea, I have MONSTER chewers here, so I don't dare make this for them. Chew toys last about 10 seconds with Mr. Big--he also likes to de-squeak. In fact, he gets so crazy with squeaky toys that they are outlawed in my house. Maybe when they're old and have lost a few teeth. :lol But there are some cute patterns out there, and I think I'm going to suggest a pet swap for next year. Anyone interested? When Julie asks for ideas, I'll suggest it. I have both cats and dogs, and there are some mighty cute ideas out there. E.g., Fayette's leash and poop bag in CrochetMe last year that I'm dying to make. Patty

Interesting, but I think I would use regular string. I've crocheted a pocketbook with house string. Why not a dog chew toy? Might last longer than yarn. :hook Certainaly is cheaper than buying them. :cheer

Certainaly is cheaper than buying them.

I agree with you there! and heaven knows there is ALWAYS some stash just lying around the house doing nothing! Might as well use it to entertain the pooch!:devil

That is so cool! I'm going to give that pattern to my neighbor, their dog chew everything! Including people:lol Thanks for the link:yay

It sounds like a cute idea, but I think if anyone made these they would have to closely supervise the little fur babies! My 2 dogs are MONSTER chewers! They both have pirahna teeth I think. They even chew up the kong toys. My Athena loves "babies" but it takes her all of 2 seconds to rip the stuffing out of them. So all of my latest crochet creations have been hidden up on top of the Closet so they don't get into them.

I like the idea for the pet swap, I am planning on making my cat a catnip filled wonton or fortune cookie as soon as I finish up 2 projects!

Archived