Do you Swatch?

I din't use to, but lately I've become a swatching fool. I can't decide what yarn to use for what garment pattern unless I swatch, swatch, swatch.... Last night I couldn't sleep since I had so many pattern plans and yarns swimming in my head... so I got up and swatched!

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/07/swatching-mania.html

Is anyone else a midnight swatcher?

I do indeed swatch:) . I also get out a stitch guide and try out new stitches:D . Swatches go into a box to be used at some point maybe somekind of freeform design.

Nope. Never have. I always thought my gauge would automatically be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY off because of the way I hold the yarn (very loosely).

But I decided to try granny squares for the first time, and realized that for THAT, my gauge was right on.

So I think the next time I make something from a pattern (I'm using my own brain [for once! :lol] right now), I WILL swatch. I'm curious to see how many patterns I use that my gauge is right and which ones it isn't.

I like that idea about keeping your swatches and using them in freeform, though! :tup That's an idea I think I might steal. :hook

Do you swatch just to check you gauge? or is anyone else like me who swatches up different yarns to see what fits the pattern best, and what meets gauge best etc.

I swatch to check gauge on patterns that I need to like wearables. I usually have a yarn in mind.

If I am creating something without a pattern, I will do swatches with different hooks and/or different yarns in different stitch patterns to see what I like best.

I never swatch and probably should. That's why I have some unfinished projects or frog them (very few frogged). I know my gauge by now (loose) so I just adjust and hope for the best.

I always liked the idea of taking swatches and making an afghan out of it.

I know the importance of swatching, but I must admit, I've only done it once, and that was to alter a knitting pattern. (Small pattern + larger yarn + larger guage = larger finished size).

I don't bother swatching for an afghan, but I do for anything that's going to be clothing--though, I have ended up with something totally different than how the swatch came out. Sometimes the ideal way to figure out if something is going to be wide enough is to just dive in and crochet the pattern...then when you get to a few inches long, measure and see if it's wide enough. It's not a total loss to have to frog it at that point, as you haven't gotten very far yet...

I swatch new patterns, new yarn or for wearables. I label the swatch with the yarn label, and what I made with it. Swatches are also good for checking to see if there is any shrinkage or if piling is going to be a problem especially with new yarns. I keep the swatches in case I need to mend something and every once in awhile I put a bunch of them together to make a small afghan or doll blanket. I like to keep samples of pattern stitches so my swatches help visually if I'm designing something. They can be used like grannies in many projects or as coasters or eye glass cases or......endless possibilities. I usually don't frog them until the end of a project and only if I really have to do so.

Archived