Silliest thing I have seen in a while

I liked it the first time I saw it. Not saying I'd wear it, but I did think it was kinda "cool" for a young girl ("young girl" i aint :) )

as for the heavy girls wearing the low rise jeans, i'm with you guys. I have to agree with something I heard Drew Carey say once a long time ago when he was just starting out in stand-up back in the '80's and he was addressing this very issue. He said, "dress for you #$% body size!" LOL. I see girls with rolls of fat hanging over their jeans, and I have to wonder, did they look in the mirror and say "dang! I look good!" :drool

Just because someone is larger doesn't mean they can't wear clothes that show off their figure. Just because a larger body size isn't attractive to some doesn't mean it's not attractive to others. Those same "girls with rolls of fat hanging over their jeans" might very well look in that mirror you mentioned and said "dang....I DO look good!"and they truly believe it because they have a POSITIVE self image, something not a lot of larger women have (due largely in part to comments like this). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can see wearing a halter top and hip hugger pants if you have a nice waist line but some of these young girls are down right fat and it looks horrible...don't they look in the mirror? or have any self respect?

i agree with you.... you wouldnt believe how many girls i see at school wearing clothes they shouldnt

im not thin and i wear hip huggers, but im always sure that skin doesnt show and the clothes dont cling to fat rolls

plus i have a mom who isent afraid to say you look bad go change

i have to wear them because they're more comfortable and thats all they make for juniors

womens jeans dont fit right, they're small in the waist and big in the legs

anyway ontopic...

i like shurgs but i dont like this one

Not being a person that cares about fashion, I agree with those that said it looks unfinished.

As for girls (and women too) that wear clothes that are too tight for them (if the fat is hanging over, it's too small!) they are only doing themselves a disservice. Too tight clothes only makes one look even bigger than they are.

Not being a person that cares about fashion, I agree with those that said it looks unfinished.

As for girls (and women too) that wear clothes that are too tight for them (if the fat is hanging over, it's too small!) they are only doing themselves a disservice. Too tight clothes only makes one look even bigger than they are.

As a woman of size I need to ask .....why would appearing bigger be a bad thing? Because society tells us that fat is ugly, that's why. I know a lot of larger women who would indeed wear this shrug, myself included. Why? Personally, I think it's adorable. It's fresh & young & the pattern is simple enough that it could be sized up or down to account for the amply endowed. (I would lower the turtleneck portion a bit because I don't like something quite so high but that's me). There's a similar shrug called Cleaves that is knitted & equally adorable. I like it.

i was a dancer at one time and think that would be abit awkward to wear with the neck the way it is........daughter says it keeps them warm on top letting the rest of body show and she thinks it is to make the breasts look bigger also......she's debating on wanting me to make it ....lol she's 17.5 and a size 10 imagine that .........should i smack her now or later???? j/k thought maybe some input from the youngers might help us elder ppl understand.....and i already told her i wont make it.....

just a little FYI if you read the pattern it isnt like a sweater that the bottom was left off of. it is more a shawl with sleeves

it is about 7 feet long and you sew up some sleeve parts and wrap the extra in the midle around your body, it is crossed in the back. i think if you saw a "rear view" of this one you might think different, it is actually much different that that "cleaves" one bellisima post (which i may contemplate making its so cute!!) but anyhow it is a shrug i guess and they arent for everyone. i think they are more of a young style, but they serve a purpose like you said its a bit nicer if it just chilly to not have to put on a whole jacket, its like a shawl you dont have to hold on or pin on. just my 2 cents

p.s. as a thin girl with a large sister i think that anyone wh wears the wrong size clothes is doing a disservice, whether you are thin or not it is better to flatter the figure you have and just love what you have to offer rather than doing the reverse of possibly highlighting things you may not like. im a big believe of size is just a number, its fit that matters (especiall since from one designer to another designer i can vary up to 4 sizes, so size is in the eye of the designer i guess)

Hey I started this post a while back. Interesting how it was bumped up. And you know what? I still think its silly, but that is just my opinion not meant to offend. And I dont get how you wrap this thing arround you.

AND fat or skinny young or old it is about feeling comfortable, and I personally I wouldnt feel comfortable wearing something that didnt cover my lower back. I am pleased tho that some of you have made this and liked it. Please post some photos as I am sincerely interested in how the back works.

If I was cold enough to wear this I would want more cover. There seems to be lot of yarn in this and I think I would go and make myself a blanket to wear instead (lol).

This one falls into the category of many shrugs that seem to say, "Look at my breasts!" Too .... ummm... forward, so to speak. :D

:yes LOLOL. Yeah, I agree. However, I do think its kinda cute. I really liked it the first time I saw it, but its not something I'd wear for myself. I wouldn't call myself "old" (although my teenager would), but there are some things that are just ment for younger folk. As for size, I too am a "woman of size", I don't care what society thinks about fat, it's a personal thing for me. I just will not go out with my stuff hanging out over my pants. It just plain looks ugly (and I came to that conclusion with out any help from society convencing me of it. I looked in the mirror.). I believe women should dress for their body size. If you're a size 16, dress for a size 16, not a size 10. But that's just me, and I'm usually hanging out there on the ledge by myself anyway so.......

Am I alone, or is it a pain in the rear-end that Lionbrand website now wants you to login. Man! is NOTHING simple anymore???

:yes

Am I alone, or is it a pain in the rear-end that Lionbrand website now wants you to login. Man! is NOTHING simple anymore???

yeah what is that about? Since they started that, I stopped going there because it all got too complicated for my simple brain.

Maybe it is so they can construct a mailing list.

Oh man. I used to think that all shrugs looked like that (well, most I was seeing don't have as long a front), so I really hated them for a while. When I started crocheting, I kept coming across patterns for shrugs that *didn't* look like that so I actually like, no love, shrugs now. LOL! Apparently what I go for (and I don't even know if this really even a shrug) is something with an open/close somehow in the front, whether they tie or have a clasp, etc.

(like these)

2024784530026294795KyxLCT_th.jpg

2932640980026294795EXsolc_th.jpg

If you allow cookies on your computer, you'll only have to sign in once on the Lion Brand site. I usually delete the cookies after I get off line but I have 3 that I leave on, because I can't always remember what I used as a user ID or password.

Here is the link for the knitted version - it has finished (fringe) sleeves and if you scroll down you can see the 4 ways to wear it

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50735.html?noImages=0

The annoying thing (for me ) is that I have to sign in every time - that firewall thingy - so you may need to do the same to get to this pic

• 2 weeks later...

, "hey, I'm sure SOMEONE will buy this!" she looks at her husband and says, "what should I call this?" he just rolls his eys and shrugs, and goes back to reading his newspaper, and she gleefully smiles and says, "that's it, it's a shrug!" :haha:rofl:laughroll

ROTFL! I'm too old already, I think..:blush .must be aimed at teens! they (supposedly) will buy anything fashion ads tell them too):think

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda like it. I'm not sure I'd wear it, as I think it would make you look a little top-heavy unless you were thin. I definitely think the arms should be narrower; they are way too bulky as they are. I think it would look pretty cool in a more open-weave pattern to make it a little "sheer." As for being open in on the bottom, speaking for myself, it's mostly my arms that get cold. When I put on a sweater, I tend to get too hot, so it's nice to have something that covers the arms. I'll have to try it out and see how I like it.

I've seen this pattern while browsing on LB's website many times, and I still don't get it...and I am a young crocheter, too! The biggest problem I have with it, besides that it looks ridiculous, is how incredibly impractical it looks. I mean, if I want something warm to slip on over an outfit, I don't want to have to pull it over my head...that's where shawls and the like come in handy. And what's up with the sleeves under the bodice (if you can call it that) anyway? Looks downright uncomfortable to me!

I'm sounding like an old record here but I can say that the knit version is really neat. Yes it is just a long straight run of knitting (or crochet) with a bit of stitching to form sleeves but it looks really cool on a young person. You do need to finish the sleeves in some way to make it looked finished.

It does not go over the head. you put one arm in, decide what you want the lo-o-o-o-ong part to do and then put your other arm in.

I think I may make another one of these - the last one only took 3 days by knitting 2 feet a day. I could do the same in crochet - two feet is nothign with my 15mm hook and double stranded yarn...so what colours have i got?

OK - - I must admit, although an "old person", I like it! I have been a maker and wearer of shrugs since the 70's. No one even knew what a shrug was because I used to get the patterns from 40's books!!!

I made one about 5 years ago and the "girls" at work all said, "What is it?" When I put it on they all said, "Wow, that thing is great - what is it called again? Where can I get one?":lol

Know why I love (d) to wear them????? In the winter when the house is chilly at night, I CAN SIT IN BED, WAIST-DOWN UNDER COVERS, SHRUG ON, AND CROCHET to my heart's content without getting a cold back and neck and arms.

Matter of fact, - for the summer I can't wait for bed jackets to come back!:think:D

:manyheart

I am definitely too old, large and busty for something like that, but might have liked it as a teen. (I remember halter tops and hip-hugger shorts quite fondly, although I wouldn't wear them now.)

Archived