How DO you do it??

Ok, since I joined this site I have avoided asking one specific question for fear of looking...well...stupid. But I have finally gotten to the point that I can no longer take it and I MUST know...

:think "HOW IN THE WORLD DO ALL YOU AMAZING PEOPLE MAKE UP YOUR OWN PATTERNS?!?!?!?!?!?!?" :think

Everything I make MUST come from a pattern already made...I'm in shock and awe and utter amazement :eek at all you beautiful people that can pick up a hook and a skein and come up with some of the most beautiful creations I've ever seen! TEACH ME HOW!!! Please!

Ok...you can call me crazy now if you want! Thanks!

I think a lot of us wonder the very same thing.....only you were the brave one to stand up and ask :cheer I have often wanted to know that too. Is it just a gift to be able to pick up a hook and yarn and turn it into something wonderful? I can make up a few small and easy things, but what I've seen created here......well, it's just nothing short of amazing!

I'm in awe too ........ I'd like to know how they write the patterns so easily too. I was able to create/crochet a donut pincushion (with guidance) but still haven't been able to write the pattern.

:think

Good question! I don't know! A similar question, how do people just LOOK at something, and are able to make it? I've been crochetting for 10 years, LOTS of things, and have never been any good at that. I can tell you what stich was used or whatever, but to make a duplicate?? Wow.... I read that's where crochet started, was people would make swatches of items, and send them like a pattern book to their friends, before stiches were named or you could read the directions. Anyway... My hats off to you!

I'm still at the point where I can look at something that's crocheted and still not be able to tell what most stitches are, except for the shell and FP and BP (but not if it's HDFP/HDBP). If I had to make up something as I went along, well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. :blush

well i make up my own patterns and have tested a few on some (un)fortunate cvillers i mostly started making up my own designs after i got bored of seeing all the same old patterns in different variations. i wanted something fun and fresh, and since i mostly make wearables i just started playing around. you just have to start something and see where it takes you. frogging can be fun i tell you!

Umm... well I crochet a lot. I made at least 4 or 5 vests before I attempted my own and the first was from a stitchbook... then I went to patterned sweaters and then tried a few by using the same measurements... doilies are hard for me to make up... I can't do fancy ones just very very basic.

I also have crocheted for ever. And when I first learned I didn't know how to follow patterns. I learned from my mom who couldn't follow patterns so I never learned. We made doilies but just with chain stitches and double crochet... maybe single crochet added in....

I also learn new stitches. I did a ton of dishclothes with that 63 pattern book (it was for afghans). And ton more dishclothes. Great way to learn stitches.

Plus I like to think of myself as creative. And I think outside the box... "what if...". Plus I don't follow directions or instructions very well (from people too...). I don't think there's only ONE way to do things... I figure if they can do it that way, I could do it this way... and come up with my own design. I figure there is no wrong way (unless the pattern turn out wrong in the end). I keep going on something unless it's really wrong. It may turn out right.

I just do and start. I just pull out yarn grab a hook and start crocheting something I was thinking of.

I have tons of unfinished projects I haven't frogged (hate doing that). I don't worry about mistakes or unfinished projects too much (unless I need or want to finish them). I am not afraid to start something and then not finish it when I'm making up something. Once I gave a lady a bunch of unfinished doilies (most from patterns as I was learning to follow patterns) for knick-knacks she had around the house (I think she liked them although she laughed that they were unfinished--yea I told her...).

Debbi

Like anything, it takes practice. I decide which article I want to make & then which st. /sts. Am I going to use a known pattern st. or make up my own. If making up my own, I definitely make a swatch (or 5) untill I get it just as I want it. Then I write it down step by step. Then I start to make the article. Since I've made my swatches, I've also measured them so I know what my guage is. If it is an article of clothing, I may look thru my patterns to see about how many ch. to start with and then adjust so the number of st will fit for my pattern rep. I may take measurements of the person if it's an article of clothing.As I work each. row/rnd. I write it down and put a tally mark (so I can count my rows). If/when I need to make adjustments, I erase or scratch thru whichever parts/rows that I've had to frog , & re-write them. As I've said .... lots of practice Try choosing a pattern for size & using a st. from a different item. If you do this first, I think you'll find you like it. Then as you get more experienced, you go further. It takes a lot of patience but will get better.

I can only speak for myself....

I get an idea in my head and then sketch it roughly out on paper and then I just attempt it. Sometimes I have to frog it several times to get it to look right. Sometimes I learn something new, example: half granny squares, and then I think of different situations on how to use it. Like a ribbon halter top for my daughter....

In my case, I have always had a harder time reading and following patterns. It's much easier to learn a stitch and then design something on my own.

It's thinking outside of the box. Being creative and thinking what if??? Looking at the patterns from the 60's and 70's can help too. Then using new techniques and new yarn.

Everyone is different. I'm sure some of you can crochet straight from a pattern and it will come out beautifully. I create rather than use a pattern.

Some people can draw things just by looking at it...some people can scan something instead. We all have different talents.

When I was in college I preferred to crochet stuffed toys. However, since I was in college I couldn't afford to buy a lot of patterns and this new-fangled internet thing didn't even exist yet, so I had to modify what patterns I did have to make what I wanted. That's what I do a lot of the time--change a fireman into a mermaid, or a flower fairy into a zombie, but if there's something I want but can't find I can usually figure something out (like the fishbone applique I made--it took most of an afternoon to figure that thing out. :think Frog away, baby! :2frog)

I understand crochet. I can't really explain it, but it makes perfect sense to me. Now, I love origami but I suck at creating origami models. I can follow the diagrams and make lovely things but don't ask me to make my own. I don't understand it; the process from flat piece of paper to 3-D model doesn't flow, but a piece of string into a ballerina does. :yes

I think Nan-nan explained it good and I should have done better... I also think of what I want to make before I grab the yarn (should have explained that better). But I don't do swatches (probably should). I just start. yes even afghans. I also do what Nan-nan does, look through books for starting chains and so on. Like the vests. I did so many and the beginning chain was just about the same that I could figure it out. A lot of times I do extra chains to make sure I have enough.

Debbi

I've thought alot about that as well. Better yet, how does someone who doesn't know how to follow a pattern, create their own design. I know a girl who makes the most amazing, innovative crocheted clothing and she can't even read, nonetheless follow a pattern. And she never frogs either. Ugggh. It makes me nuts.

I understand crochet. I can't really explain it, but it makes perfect sense to me.

How many times have I said while teaching, "once you "get it", you'll understand, and you'll get better and better". but was never really able to elaborate on what I ment by "getting it". And i truely believe some "get it" and some don't. I've found that those who "get it" pretty quick are those who stick with it. I still can't explain it either, it just makes sense.

I learned when I was about 10 years old, but didnt attempt to teach myself to read patterns till I was in my 20's. Up to that point, what little crochet I did was just afghans or scarfs, I hit my teens and crochet hit the back seat. but I never stopped loving it, and went back to it when my life settled down.

I've come up with many of my own designs, but I had a bad experience on a crochet email forum (that i think is now defunct) several years ago when another designer tried to say that one of my designs was "too much" like one of her's (that i'd never seen by the way). because of that, i quit that forum and from then on, I really don't share my designs, as a rule. I dont even post pictures of them, I only post pictures of items i make from patterns, that are available to everyone.

Writting your own designs just takes lots of practice, and huge amounts of love for the art, and creating with ones hands.

I have no problem making up my own designs, I just don't have much luck in writing the pattern! I find it very difficult to rewrite my notes every time I frog or make a change. I end up doing more writing than crocheting and then at the end I can't read what I wrote!:lol

It's tedious and I much prefer to just wing it and let the chips fall where they may.:lol

When I make up a pattern I start out with an idea of what I want....color size etc. Something like a toy I sketch out. I then break the idea down into the simplest form......square, round, triangle, whether I want the piece to be flat or made in the round, like toys. I have paper and pen ready. Double or triple space your directions. These do not need to be written out completely but YOU must be able to read them. For instance my shorthand might read 6-12-18-24-30-36 five rounds even 30-24-18-12 my basic doll head. As I make the outfit I write down the number of stitches, the number of rows and how much yarn it took and of course the hook size. I have a personal book of stitches and stitch combinations that make up a pattern. For instance 1 row sc, 1row reverse dc, 1row sc is what I use when I need a ribbon or string in an item. The rev dc row gives me enough of a hole but looks more finished than just dc. Keep a journal!!!! This is a must for any designer! Put in your ideas and thoughts color schemes anything related to crochet/ knitting/whatever. and remember frogging CAN be fun.

:cheer One of the main things about making something crocheted, without a pattern, is to know how crochet works as in recognising stitches etc.

I am always thrilled when I try an idea which works but it is not really a fluke, I just know, after all these years, that to make an item the right size, you need X number of stitches and rows for a particular yarn and hook.

:cheer Experience is a great thing so just keep crocheting and it will come to you some day.

:cheer Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Well I went into crocheting a bit backwards from what I consider to be the average crocheter...I very, very, very seldom used anyone else's patterns for over 30 years...I would use a stitchery encyclopedia to get a stitch pattern, but as far as making say a sweater, I would just figure out how to make my own sweater...I would experiment alot...and I really just did it for myself...sometimes for someone else...but for a long time people just weren't interested...I never considered making patterns to be tested and sell until I found this site and I'm still a bit gun shy about going that next step...it's only been in the past two years that I got over my rebelliousness and started collecting patterns and making things from them...and even then it's nearly impossible for me to make a pattern EXACTLY as it's called for...

But it's a good exercise in learning concepts of how things are made and done...and it will fuel the inspiration fires for me to create new things.

In the beginning though and for over 30 years commercial patterns for crocheting drove me nuts. I would have rather looked at a picture than the written word and see what I could come up with on my own, and always with changes.

I marvel over the amount of creative talent on this board...not just for those that design and create things, but for those people who really can stick to an already established pattern down to gauge, hook size, stitch, color and yarn...that takes it's own discipline I believe. And also just the quality of the work...very professional looking...I know I'm good, but I get absolutely blown away with what I see and I'm humbled and it makes me question my work...but not to the point of ever quitting, but striving to be better with my work...hope that made sense...

I have no problem making up my own designs, I just don't have much luck in writing the pattern! I find it very difficult to rewrite my notes every time I frog or make a change. I end up doing more writing than crocheting and then at the end I can't read what I wrote!:lol

It's tedious and I much prefer to just wing it and let the chips fall where they may.:lol

This is my BIGGEST challenge about designing anything...not just crocheting...but sewing, rubberstamping whatever...but I am working on this...I am...I have journals all over the place...

I've thought alot about that as well. Better yet, how does someone who doesn't know how to follow a pattern, create their own design. I know a girl who makes the most amazing, innovative crocheted clothing and she can't even read, nonetheless follow a pattern. And she never frogs either. Ugggh. It makes me nuts.

This was me in the 70's, 80's and 90's and even a few years ago...frogging? Why? I would just do something else...and it would work out...happy mistakes...If I ever had to frog before I started using other people's patterns it was simply because I wasn't "getting" the concept I wanted...

It's an odd thing...all the years of doing my own thing with crocheting actually in the end, help me successfully deal with other people's patterns, which in turned has helped me be a better designer...

Rereading this thread it's comforting to know that alot of what I do is not so different from many do with their crocheting.

Archived