How many hooks do you own?

At the moment I have 16 hooks. I have a bunch more at my mom's house, but I recently moved and was scared to death that airport security would take my grandmother's Lee Ward thread hooks away from me, so I left them at home.

This is what plastic hooks are for. :yes I'm not taking a chance on my favorite hooks being confiscated, either. Too bad there are no plastic thread hooks.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. If you include the knitting. Quilting. And the cookbooks? Oh , I don't even dare to count. I am addicted to them. I love books. I love to find them at a barging too. PINKROSES

I believe I own about :think 25 hooks. I have almost every size between steel hook size "1" to "Q". Although I think I have like 4 "H" hooks, 3 "G" hooks and doubles of many others. My favorite hook sizes are "D and E". I like working with fingering or baby weight "1 or 3" yarns.:hook

Oh, I have 4 cro-hooks and 2 afghan hooks.

• 2 weeks later...

So that was 25 answers from a possible 3,500 members(I know these are rough estimates!)....we have 1,041 hooks.....Now if we can consider ourselves to be an average sampling of Crochetville members that would mean that There are possibly like 145,740 hooks here!!!!! My Goodness!:eek Anyone who is really good at math can feel free to correct this if it is wrong....this was like those nightmare word problems they gave me about trains speeding towards each other and all...anyways, I think it is safe to say that There are A LOT of hooks around Crochetville!

You know, I thought that question looked familiar! :lol You may want to rethink your math a bit after reviewing some of the answers in this thread:

How many hooks do you own?

Also, just so you know - we have a current membership count (as of this very moment) of 6,670 of which 3,597 are considered "active" (and I was wondering why I couldn't keep up with the posts on this board!!!).

I have yet to tally my own hook stash, but a quick off the top of my head estimate would be probably somewhere around 200. The vast majority of my collection comes from an inheritance from my mil who had an inexplicable collection that included about 40 each of aluminum F, H and J hooks (all Boye) and about the same number of each in a rather cheesy plastic! We used to jokingly wonder what craft shop she robbed!

Maybe one of these days I'll actually sit down and do a serious inventory count of my collection, but for now my guesstimate will have to do.

I doubt anyone will be able to beat the hooklady's record, however. :hook

My goodness, what an interesting thread. That is sooooo many hooks!

Well, there is probably a sampling effect (people who own lots of hooks are more likely to post their answers here...possibly. So they may be overrepresented), but even then, I'm sure there are LOTS of hooks, not to mention the amount of yarn in everyone's stash...wait, that's another thread.

Well, considering that I own at least 30 after crocheting for only 8 months, I guess it's not surprising. Hook on! :hook

After Post 36 from this new thread, and Goldi's thread from before, the count is:

Approximately 5488. Now, Hooklady, I only counted 2500 cause she said somewhere between 2 and 3 THOUSAND!!!!! so I split the difference. On all others, I took the lowest number they gave. The count of members from Goldi is 6,670 of which 3,597 are active. I'm not a math person to figure out any percentages, so, somebody else can figure that stuff! But, I can add! So, now I have to change my symbols:

:hook = 1000

Hooks admitted to in the 'Ville:

:hook :hook :hook :hook :hook +488

Thanks for the info Goldi, I never saw that other thread as I had not joined Crochetville yet, and I admit that I was mostly counting up active members.....as I imagined INactive members were not going to tell us how many hooks they had...lol:lol .....and I agree that people with 2 or 3 hooks probably will feel as though they should not let us know they have only 2 or 3 hooks....but HEY as far as I am concerned 1 hook is enough to crochet with! The amount is mind boggling! All those hundreds of thousands of hooks:hook

Just think, we are keeping Boye/Susan Bates/TOTC and many other hook companies in Business! :lol Just keep buying HOOKs for each new project!:lol

That's what ends up happening here. Or I can't find the specific hook I need, so of course, back to the store for a hook or two.

Linda:manyheart

I have 7 sets of 5 assorted sizes, about 20 I got from catalogs, 6 from a crochet learning book, 1 from my mom, about 6 doubles, 2 afghans, and about 5 doily hooks. So, I guess, about 75. Wow, how scary is that!lol :yes :yes :yes oh yeah:2rock :2rock

Holy carp! 133? 200? I've got to go get me some hooks! I've got about 15. Of course, I just started crocheting again last August, so I've got some catching up to do!

Twinnish...Don't get all upset:hug ! There is no connection with the amount of hooks someone owns and how well they can Crochet....I have heard of women wearing out their favorite hook:hook (literally) because they used the same one over and over and over again! This would mean that a real Expert Diva Like Crocheter could possibly exist with just that one special hook!This is just for fun -to get a rough estimate!:yes

TX CrochetLover . . . thank you for keeping count!

I have 40 properly put away in the correct roll and in order (yay me)!

13 steel

18 aluminum

9 plastic.

My favorite red H is missing and I have 2-3-4 in WIPs. I've done my job . . . now someone else run and count.

I think I am well over 50 with my hooks.....and that includes my steel hooks, plastic hooks and aluminum hooks. I inherited some from my mom, and my grandma, and got a few as gifts, and the ones that I acquired all on my own. I have quite a few, but I am still missing a few sizes somehow :think:eek Now that you got me wondering, I will have to go and count them all.

I thought I would go ahead and add mine into the list.

26 size 10/1/30mm up to Q

3 crohooks, or whatever they are called

17 knitting needles

Not sure if your counting knitting or not. It seems everytime I started a project I needed a needle size that I didn't have.:hook I think I have them all now!:lol I do have a G that was my great gandmothers and that one I will pass down to my daughter.:manyheart

Archived