Baby Ideas...afghan

I friend of mine is pregnant and I wanna surprise her with a blanket for the baby. But she doesn't know what she is having. And may not know until the baby is born. So I need some ideas on unisex colors. I thought about a soft yellow with like a light mint green but then I thought if it turns out to be a girl she may not want to cover the baby in that. So I need help.

What about some of the really nice multi-colored baby yarns from RH and TLC? And you could do something like this or this that just look baby-ish without being too girl or boy oriented. Oh shucks, just look through my afghan gallery and see if there is something you can use for ideas. Maybe so. :xfin

I think it's the Big Book of Red Heart Crochet that has a baby afghan for either. It's white-based with both blue and pink.

Other ideas would be using a more neutral color like yellow, or a pastel varegated print, or a variety of pastels combined up in blocks, stripes, or even rainbowing out as a giant granny square.

They're both reallllllly basic stuff. Nothing but a basic ripple and a basic granny square. I guess that's kind of what I was thinking of when I suggested looking at the pictures. Ripples are my fond favorites I think because you can do just about anything with the same pattern and some variations in color and how you spread them out. Every one of the ripples I've done just made allowances for size and then the width of the color strips and the colors used. Otherwise it's the exact same basic ripple. I don't even think I have a pattern for them anymore but a quick search at CPC or even on Google for easy ripple afghan will give you plenty to choose from. :U

I think it's the Big Book of Red Heart Crochet that has a baby afghan for either. It's white-based with both blue and pink.

Other ideas would be using a more neutral color like yellow, or a pastel varegated print, or a variety of pastels combined up in blocks, stripes, or even rainbowing out as a giant granny square.

Is it this book :Crochet with Heart-Best Loved Afghans?

I'm working on a baby afghan right now. I'm about 15 weeks pregnant with my first. :yay I don't know the sex yet and I haven't decided if I'm going to find out so I figured I would go with a gender-neutral color. I chose pale yellow; I think I will do a border in white or variegated. I'm using Lionbrand Pound of Love. The pattern I'm using is called Crowded Shells; it's a square pattern that I modified to rows. Here's a link to the pattern... http://www.feir.com/crochet/patterns/crowded.htm

You could do the round ripple baby afghan in rainbow colors....that would be gender friendly. Just a thought.

I still have a blanket I made when I was pregnant with my son, who's about to turn 22. I used bright primary colors in simple squares. They say babies can see first in black and white, then the brighter colors before pastels.

Is it this book :Crochet with Heart-Best Loved Afghans?

Boy is my face red. :blush I just checked and "pink and blue" was in my Hershner's blue ribbon afghans book. Serves me right trying to use my memory!

I do have the Crochet w/ Heart - Best loved afghans, as well as the Big Book of Crochet featuring the best of Crochet with Heart Magazine. Most of my afghan books are by Leisure Arts as they seem to be the most easily obtainable.

GA Rebel, why not just choose a color that the mom has either in her house or is her favorite? Really, you can use any color, as long as it's thin and not bulky it'll be completely appropriate for a baby.

Julie, your afghans are gorgeous!! The pineapple is my favorite, but where did you get the kitty afghan pattern? I have a niece who would go crazy over it! TIA, Patty

I'm a big fan of Terry Kimbrough patterns. They're less practical, perhaps, but so beautiful done in white. I made this one for a friend. At the time, I didn't know what she was having, but she's since had an ultrasound, and knows she's having a boy.

Mary

Heather: Georgous ripple! I love making round ripples. I've made two so far and I've been eyeing that Mary Maxim one for ages. :)

Ga_Rebel: Round ripples are so worth the effort! I bought New Crochet Basics by Leisure Arts (at Wal-Mart) and made the one that is in there. I did my own color changes on both of mine and I used Bernat's Cotton Tot. Here is one I made in blue/white and here is one I made in blue/yellow/green/white. (I still need to edge that one though.)

If you are looking for something extremely simple and quick, I made a v-stitch afghan for a friend's daughter's baby. I did it in Bernat's Baby Coordinates in blue and white stipes. It was so simple yet so nice. I have the pattern here somewhere...it's a free pattern but I'll have to hunt it down. If you are interested in it just let me know. It has like 2 rows of instruction and the rest is all repeat. I noticed this v-stitch pattern. It's not the same one but it's nice too.

Good luck in finding a pattern that works for you!

Right now I am making this blanket:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

It's done with two strands of yarn held together and it works up FAST! What I am doing is making it as a scrap-ghan sort of - just using different scraps I have on hand, with a strand of white, and it's turning out pretty nice, if I do say so myself...don't ask me why I decided to put a dark green stripe in there, but I will add another just to make it uniform - the light green I am doing in the middle is going to be the predominate color.

babyscrapghan-progress01.jpg

Archived