Another example of underappreciated crochet gifts

I know what you mean. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I wonder all the time "how much longer will I be able to do this". It's not a problem right now, and I"m hoping it never becomes a problem. But there that chance....what would i do if i can't crochet??

Awww! Craftybutterfly! You break my heart! :cry I hope that never happens too! I just went to the slide show of all your lovely shawls and ponchos and afghans that you have made! You do beautiful work. I hope that your arthritis can be held at bay and you will always be able to do what you love!

Here's praying for a medical breakthrough and a cure for rheumatoid arthritis!!:applause

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Rheumatologist says as long as i take my meds (these new RA drugs are MIRACLES!!), and continue with the Remicade infusions, my risk of becoming disabled is greatly reduced. But unless a cure is found, there's always the chance.... thanks for your concern, and your nice comments about my projects. :)

I've had AR since I was seventeen, some good days some really bad but through it all I continue to crochet. I have to do it differently mainly I have to change yarns to heavier and or course larger hooks and I use the fist method on bad days versus the pencil method. wrapping a couple of wide elastic bands around the hook for better gripping also works. STOP when the pain becomes too much but try to return later in the same day. Never give up what you love. I believe its better to do a little every day than a whole lot on one day. Good luck

Hello, everyone

I'm new to the Crochetville community. I knit, and I just started crocheting a few months ago. I love it and I look forward to learning from everyone.

I learned years ago not make gifts for anyone, people just don't appreciate the time and money that goes into creating anything hand made. I had a friend who made a sweater and scarf for a guy she was seeing. The sweater took weeks to make, because the yarn was so expensive. After this guy received the gift, he decided to go out and purchase her a gift that was equal to the price of the yarn. The only problem was that he had no idea what kind of yarn it was, or where to buy it. The yarn was at least $11.99 per skein and she used something like 20 skeins. My freind really liked this guy and tried to express that in the planning and creating of this gift. Well the guy purchases her a $30 gift and made sure to tell her that he was trying to match the price of her gift. My friend was devistated and today we just make things for ourself.

Thanks for reading

Terrell

I do many gifts that are sewn or crocheted, but generally for my family (and my husband's). I have one brother-in-law who doesn't care for homemade things, so of course I buy his gifts. I want people to enjoy what I give them, whether purchased or created. Everyone else appreciates my creations, but most of the women are artistic or crafty in some way. You just have to choose your audience.

I WAS JUST :lurk ING THROUGH THE SITE AND HAD TO JUMP IN. I WAS WORKING ON A PROJECT AND MY OLDEST SIS REPLIED THAT WHE WANTED ONE, :eek WELL I TOLD HER IF SHE WANTED ONE, I WOULD TEACH HER TO :hook . HAVE'NT HEARD A WORD ON THE SUBJECT SINCE.:no

<snip>I did have one gift that was returned to me from a friend because it was crocheted. It broke my heart that she didn't appreciate it. She is a Gucci/Prada girl and I guess the item I made her didn't meet with her standards. Oh well!

I know this is an old post, but had to comment. I am sorry that her (low)standards did not match up to your gift. Hopefully 1 day she will have the self esteem (and to me, having to gain approval by ONLY having prana or gucci, is a sign of low self esteem..... trying to gain it by appearing "better than others") to qualify for such a wonderful gift. It was nice of you to try to lift it for her

I agree that a gift should be acknowledged either by a phone call or a Thank You note. That's good manners, and it only takes a very few minutes to do! Especially considering the TIME and $ involved in making a gift.

If someone doesn't acknowlege a gift, I don't bother making something for that person again.

I agree wholeheartedly that some people just have no clue about the time and money spent in crocheting/knitting/sewing/etc. a gift.

And the friend who returned a gift?! That was just plain rude and unkind!!! Always say "Thank You" even if you hate it. I've received gifts I was not crazy about and have said "Thank you for your thoughtfulness." The giver took the time and energy and money to buy something just for me. If you don't like it, exchange it or give it to someone else who you think might like it. Indeed, it's the thought that should count!

I know the feeling. In the past year I havew made several baby quilts that I designed myself (and I regret that I only have a picture of one). I didn't even get an acknowledgement from them, I had to call their parents (they were relatives) and the one that I spent the most time and thought on I ran into the recepient @ a party a few weeks ago and she didn't even acknowledge that she knew me let alone the quilt that I spent over a month designing and makeing..it was also hand quilted.

Now I make items for immediate family and for RAOKs because I know they will be appreciated and even if they don't like it they won't tell me LOL

I crocheted afghans (the kind that fold up into themselves and then look like pillows) for my family one year for Christmas (a total of 9 between Thanksgiving and Christmas). The newest SIL took it, looked strangly at it, and then said to me "oh, we have lots of these, let me show you" we walked down to the basement, where she proceeded unfold it and throw it from the bottom of the steps to the floor in front of the tv, turns to walk up the stairs and says to me, "I'm sure someone will use it"! I was so crushed, it took everything I had to not cry in front of her, and to be civil the rest of the day.

I learned to knit before I learned to crochet, but haven't knitted anything in some time, due to the fact that I have jumped whole-heartedly on the crochet bandwagon. Some time back, at my aunt's request, I knitted a scarf for my cousin. I made the scarf, and two years later, it is STILL sitting on the dining room table in my aunt's house. I suppose I should bring the poor little waif home, since it's just going to languish at Auntie's.

Generally, what I do, rather than giving surprise gifts, is to ask the person if they would like X or Y, then get their input on size, color, yarn type, etc. At least that way, I know what I make will be well recieved. (Actually, the only person I'm crocheting anything for is my mother, and she falls over anything I make, since she's sweet.:manyheart)

One of my cousins asked me to make a gay pride afghan for her and her partner. I was happy to do it. I made a 144 granny square afghan that took me the better part of 6 months to make. I was so proud of it. I gave it to her and her g-friend with love. Gave them washing instructions and the whole lot. Imagine my suprise the next time I visited her home and it had become a bed for their dogs and cats. :angry I have never been so p.o.-ed in my life!!!! When I asked her about it she said the animals just love it so that they could not keep it from them. How nice. :ohdear

I've been thinking of making little dice bags (yes, I'm a gamer) out of crochet thread and trying to market them online somewhere; but when I showed a completed bag to my brother-in-law (also a gamer) and asked him how much he would be willing to pay for the item he said only two or three dollars-- this after I had spent about three hours making the bag and cramped my hand in the process! Which gives me the idea that trying to market these bags to non-crocheters would just not work...

*sigh* it's so true - folks just never understand what goes into a crochet (or any handmade) gift. I'm really glad she got a chance to have the light turned on for her - maybe she will pass on the information to other folks who haven't any idea about the costs and time involved. And, of course, now she will love your gifts even more :D

Honestly, though, we can't really get TOO angry with people because places like Walmart and the Dollar Tree are selling hand crocheted doiles, scarves, etc. for CHEAP, so, of course, people don't think "These are made by starving women and children in third world countries who work 15 hours a day for .25 cents" - no, they think "Wow, these must be really easy and cheap to make."

Archived