freeform what

snugsmontreal

maybe it is just me, and no offense to those of you who adore and enjoy this but what is with freeform? i am completely lost on the concept of just freeforming these projects and what exactly they are used for? are they art? do you hang them? what is their purpose in yarn-life? i am a very strict crocheter, patterns and a set objective. i do write my own patterns for objects but never for art crochet, always a means to an end, clothing or blankets so on and so forth. many of the items i have seen are in my opinion just odd and maybe its not my style or whatever but can someone please tell me what i am missing or am i alone in this feeling?:think

must just not be for everyone i suppose

I would have to say that you've got it right -- it's just not for everybody.

When I first heard about and saw freeform crochet, it struck me as something "artsy." And, being the artistic type, it appealed to me.

The items I've personally seen done in freeform crochet (or should I say PARTLY done in freeform crochet - because I haven't seen any particular item that was ENTIRELY done in freeform) struck me as beautiful. They're usually very colorful, full of texture, and I like the individuality of them. (I was the "individual" one at school... i.e., I was the one that got picked on for not "running with the crowd" :S I'm still pretty much like that now, but if people don't like it, they can kiss my bum! :lol)

But having said that, I kinda figured - even before you said anything - that it wouldn't be for everybody.

Heck, a lot of people don't care much for thread crochet (doilies and such). They see them as "old fashioned" or something. So it would only figure that freeform wouldn't be for everybody, too.

Most of my freeform (thread projects too) end up as totes or handbags. Freeform is relaxing for me, but could see where it would drive some people crazy. Also, I'm on a limited fiber budget, so it lets me use up all my bits & pieces.

:)Alosha

Now I Get That, Because It's Soooo Og That It's Yours And Only Yours. But As I Stated, I See It . I Get The Concept. I'm Artsy Crafty Myself But Now I Get It As A Form Of Poetry, You Can't Interpret Someone Elses Poetry

http://www.knotjustknitting.com/

Hey I used to have the same idea about free form, until I met Prudence Mapstone earlier this year and saw hwe amazing work at the Gold Coast Craft Fair. It is not for everyone, but when done well it is stunning.

I used to think it was a bit like finger painting, where half the fun is the texture between the fingers.

Check out the attached link. Prudence does amaizing bags and shawls etc and the texture and colours are simply beautiful. But then Prudence is a legend! :manyheart

I don't care for the wild far-out freeform, but I DO love free form. Because, my kind of freeform is making things without a pattern, and I've made many a lovely mat/flower/sarong/shawl/home decor items "free-form".

http://www.knotjustknitting.com/

Hey I used to have the same idea about free form, until I met Prudence Mapstone earlier this year and saw hwe amazing work at the Gold Coast Craft Fair. It is not for everyone, but when done well it is stunning.

I used to think it was a bit like finger painting, where half the fun is the texture between the fingers.

Check out the attached link. Prudence does amaizing bags and shawls etc and the texture and colours are simply beautiful. But then Prudence is a legend! :manyheart

i checked out that page and i must say i understand it a bit more from those pictures, but those are not what i typically see for freeform. when i look at a lot of free form all i see is a mess of different fibers that to me resembles a giant knot. hers actually is something, sweaters and stuff and it has flowers and identifiable objects in it. maybe what i have seen before of freeform is just... not quite so talented maybe? i think it is all in the interpretation like one of you said. im glad for all the people who love it anyway, whatever makes you happy right

Thanks for that link! :) What a nice website she has.

I'm with the rest of those gone before... freeform is self expression... hard to interpret. I find it to be very expressive and beautiful. My mom looks at it and says, "What a mess!"

I have not tried my hand at it yet... but I will. I hope to create a bag or scarf or some other accessory! :hook

• 2 weeks later...

I adore freeform, especially Prudence's work...cupcake, I bet that was wonderful meeting her and seeing her awesome creations firsthand!

I'll echo everyone, it's just a preference thing. I "wish" I could be one of the ladies here that uses freeform and scrumbles to relax, destress and be creative but I am not good enough. I would love to make a fat bottom bag and "scrumble it up"!

If you don't like it and don't see a point to it, just don't do it! :) To me, it's more of the 'artsy, let it flow' side of crochet and knitting, which is great for some, not so much for others! (ie: freeform:crochet/knitting as abstract painting: realism)

SimonSez,

Thanks, I find that with freeform I have a whole pallet of yarn. I can just play.

And have a nice afghan when I am done. This is made with all wool yarns. My next afghan is freeform using all my UFO's I should take some photos of it.

Spinning and dying wool are my main focus at the moment.

Deb

Deb, I love the butterflies on your afgahan. I saw some photos on your blog (or at the Freeform Crochet site?) and loved it when it was a work in progress. How great to see it finished! It came out great!

Someone recently posted this link on the FFC site and her wearable art is fantastic! She brings in a respectable profit, which is frefreshing to see in fiberarts: http://www.susanobrant.com/

And if you have the chance, look for Prudence Mapstone's book, "Freeform: Serendipitous Design Techniques for Knitting and Crochet. I bought mine from a link on her website, but you can buy it in the States now. It's a fabulous book. Here's the link again: http://www.knotjustknitting.com/

I love the creativity of freeform, since no one does it the same as anyone else. As Debbie New said in her book, "Unexpected Knitting", which I finally ordered from Amazon and received yesterday and haven't been able to put down since... Darn, now I can't find the page with the quote, but it was something like: "Mistakes happen when you try to follow a pattern. In freeform, a mistake is something exciting"

Freeform is the perfect way to crochet and knit in the summer. I usually fill a ziplock baggie with small balls of yarn and carry it in my purse everywhere I go, or even put a small ball or two in one pocket, and as I make motifs they go from one pocket to the other. (It's very discrete, if you've ever been chastised for knitting in public as I have been!). Any wasted time in lines, or as a passenger in the car and I can make a motif or two. Then, by winter, you have a great start on a shawl, and it's amazing how quickly it all comes together. Believe me, making motifs is quite addicting!

Kim

Archived