Flying with hooks

I heard from a knitter that she was not allowed to take her knitting needles onto the plane when travelling, so now I am worried about being able to take my crochet hook onto the plane. I do mostly thread crochet so my hooks are very thin. I am planning on going to the UK which is an 8 hour flight and I don't think that I have gone that long without crocheting before, and I can't imagine sitting on a plane for 8 hours without being able to crochet. Has anyone had any problem taking their crochet hooks onto the plane?

yep. I had mine convisgated a few weeks ago for a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne. I begged the security man and he let me go out and put my hand luggage through the baggage so I wouldnt lose them. I had a steel 1.75, 4mm. and 7mm aluminium.

Bamboo and plastic hooks are ok.

The stupid thing about all of this is that my hub some how got through with a razor in his back pack. :eek and what really peeved me was that the girl in front of me had one of those metal Ibis Clips in her hair ( a real likely weapon), and another bloke had an umbrella.

and the biggest annoyance was that once we were in the Quantas club, they had glass glasses and metal forks which I could have at any time had stuffed in my bag.

Now I understand the concern re hijaks etc, but can you imagine someone like me saying " this is a hijak... I have a crochet hook and am going to double crochet you if you dont take us to Fiji!" :D

I suggest you check, and maybe see what the smallest hook is you can get in wood or bamboo.

According to the FAA both crochet hooks and knitting needles are allowed, but individual airports can make their own determinations. From what I have seen, it's best NOT to take steel hooks on the plane. I'd bring something larger than an E for work on a plane and if you really want to bring knitting needles, just to be safe I would get plastic.

I remember needing to know this info when I had to fly last summer because I hadn't flown in years plus I hadn't flown since 9/11. Things really have changed! I looked up the info I needed on the internet at Transportation Security Administration here in the US. They didn't even begin to prepare me to go through what I went through! In the end I was allowed to take my entire bag of hooks, all steel, including a whole set of hooks for thread.

I found the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority for you.

Here is their permitted and prohibited items list:

http://www.catsa.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm

They don't list crochet hooks specifically but they do list knitting needles so I bet it's ok. I would just tell them your hooks are knitting needles....nobody ever seems to know the difference between the two. :lol Then I would start a crusade to get crochet hooks added to the list. ;)

HTH!

Thank you for the info and the sites, it was very helpful, I had a plastic hair pick, and a nail file confiscated one time, so at least if it is up to the individual airport I can print up the list and show it to them. I have to crochet, I wouldn't know what to do with my hands otherwise, so I really appreciate you going to the time and trouble to find these sites for me, thank you again.

You can take crochet hooks and knitting needles on flights you can also take small scissors up to 3" in lenght from the folcrum ( that is the rivet that holds them together where they are joined you can veiw all the items you are aloud to take on flights at this web site

http://www.tsa.gov

I do not know about other countries but US and Canada go by that one as we have Air Canada flying out of the airport I work at and they go by same guide lines

I've flown with crochet hooks and knitting knittings many times. I've never had a problem with it. Of course, those were all internal to the US flights. When I flew internationaly, it was in 2001 before the regs had been loosed up to allow knitting needles and such in the plane.

I would suggest going on line and trying to find the reguatlions for the countries you are flying to/from. I know that in the US, you can take crochet hooks and knitting needles on the plane, but it is still up to the indivual TSA screener to allow/not allow them. So, while the regs say you can, some people have problems. IF you are reallly worried, either take a plastic hook with you, or bring a self addressed stamped envolope with you so that you can mail yourself your hooks if they are not allowed.

Archived