how many extra stitches?

Auntcut

Question

4 answers to this question

I don't know if the same principles apply to an oval as a circle, but someone (sorry can't give credit, don't recall the persons name) gave the following for making rounder circles, maybe you can play aound with this and figure it out. hope it helps.

INCREASING A ROUNDER CIRCLE:

If you add increases in same place in each row sometimes, especially in stiff yarn, a circle becomes a multi- sided polygon instead of having a smooth circular curve. The trick is to NOT place your increases in the same spot.

If you know the gauge you are working at, stitches per inch, you need to multiply the measurement you get from the center of the circle to the row you are working on by 6, or more precisely 6.28, then by the stitches per inch, to get how many stitches would lay flat around that far away from the center. Just use 6 since yarn stretches and you don't need to be so precise to get a rough number to use.

It is a little hard to gauge your starting chain and your increases, without knowing your gauge and doing some playing around. But that said:

(Work inc by working all sts in one stitch)

I would work 5 sts inc in each end on the first row, on the second round, you will do (2 sts inc, 1 st, 2 sts inc, 1 st, 2 sts inc) for the end. The next row, you will do (3 sts inc, 2 sts, 3 sts inc , 2 sts, 3 sts inc) on each end and on the next row *(3 sts inc, 4 sts, 3 sts inc, 4 sts, 3 sts inc). Continue the combination with the asterick, increasing the number between the 3 sts inc on each round. I haven't actually made anything larger than a purse bottom using this method, so you may need to play with the increases and sts a bit.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Archived