Uncommon Threads Show

Fun show! I can't wait for more. :clap

Julie was that the Fat Bottom you showed at the end?

Okay! Who's who?

The first lady was Marlo, she posted a few replys up.

Her site: http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/

The second was Julie, aka skamamawa designer of the Fat Bottom purse in the Happy Hooker book. Her site: http://www.skamama.com/

And the last is Tiffany, one of our admins. Also posted a few replys up.

I don't get his channel at my house... and my Grandmother does not have a VCR. My TIVO friends don't get DIY...! Augh! and I have to be at work... where I am right now. ;)

I am hoping that someone will tape the shows for me.. and want to send them for my viewing. I am willing to swap something. I have an extra 2006 Crochet Pattern a Day Calendar... any takers?

:manyheart

thanks everyone, it was so much fun to tape. All of the staff at uncommon threads are super fun and nice. The host is beautiful and very kind.

I had a hard time watching myself, I didnt recognize my voice at all. It was very surreal. My two items were the jute rope basket and the plastic bag crochet.

marlo

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com

http://thatgirlcrochet.blogspot.com

Great job ladies! I am definitely going to try the plastic bag bag.

It's so nice to put names to faces and blogs. I have been TIVO'ing all of the crochet ones and saving them so I can go back and get more ideas.

So far it's been a pretty neat show. I'm going to tell DIY that we need more shows with crochet. If knitting can get it's own show, I think that crochet should get it's own too!!!

Again, great job!!!:clap

Me too!! I just got back from taping Uncommon Threads as well! WOW what an adventure! Thanks to Amie from NexStitch, I got the chance of a lifetime!

Today I posted on my blog Knotty Generation, about our crazy 4 days in LA (Burbank actually.) I'm still amazed it happened, glad I got some pics to remember cause it went by so fast, it was a blurr of yarn and hooks and lights and cameras... the smile on my face is a mile wide!

Like the first season, we weren't given a date, but told it will be next year. And that could mean anything! That could be January or July, or whatever. I know they email us a segement number when it's getting closer. I'll post that when it comes, but again, it'll be awhile before that happens. We were told that they had already begun editing the shows they were filming for Season 2 (and they started filming the first week in August!). And I'm sure that's because of the 180 degree turn they took for Season 2.

Season 1 people won't recognize anything! The set is completely different, and WAY nicer. (You can see pictures on my blog). The format for the show is different too. They're trying to make it so that you actually feel like you're there making the project and walking through each phase. They don't want it to look like you're going from step to step like last season without explaining anything. And because of that, they've had to shoot way more than they expected, which means more editing, which means more work. As a result, projects, or portions of projects were cut. And not just my group, but other groups we spoke to said the same thing.

It's both good and bad. Bad for us having spent the time and money, but good for the viewers because they won't be flying through projects without showing how to actually make the items. The show will come off as being authentic in the respect that it cares enough to TEACH the audience something, rather than just SHOW it quickly.

My prediction: This show will far surpass HGTV's, "That's Clever," if not for the teaching aspects, but for the simple fact that it doesn't trivialize the craft portion of the show with goofy gimmicks and cheesy camera angles.

Sometimes "That's Clever" is cute but I agree usually they just achieve cheesy with the camera angles and stuff. I don't get DIY:( but I've enjoyed reading about your experience in your blog." More energy!":lol

The crafts on that show are wicked cool! It's the production of it that stinks. I know several people who have been featured on it and have expressed to me that they felt they sold themselves out for having been on it. It's free exposure, but who wants to be a part of the dumbing down of crafts and crafty businesses. I certainly wouldn't want to put crochet in that realm. We've had a difficult time getting respect all these years. I wouldn't want to take a step backwards!

And, it's been 72 hours since I've heard..."More ENERGY!!!" LOL. Thank heavens. I'm all pooped out.

I remember when it first came out (when it was called "Coast to Coast") and I feel it was more quirky then but as time went on they just went overboard straight to cheesy. I have respect for all the crafters though. One of the things I do like about the show is the range of crafts they have. To see all of the different talent out there is really awesome.

Yes, they've changed a lot of stuff, for sure. I would do it again though. Actually, it would be a heck of a lot easier now that I've done it.

What really threw me off was that they didn't fully explain how different your season to mine would be. If it was the same as the first season, everything I had planned would have fit in fine. But because they are trying to get every last small step in, anad have you physically demo each part, they've created themselves a situation where they need to seriously edit down the projects or cut them.

I watched your show on Monday (last Monday) and put it on DVR to replay it, thinking that would be the format and I could watch it to get the whole feel. But not so. When we got there, it was like, "Things have changed.." and "...make it work."

But what can you do?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived