A Token for the Expectant Mom

I'm at the stage in my life right now where it seems like everyone around me is having babies! There are 5 (FIVE!) couples in my Sunday School class alone that are expecting (and quite early in their pregnancies, all of them).

I remember being pregnant (as well I should; my daughter is only 18 mos. :lol), and how everyone is so excited about the baby. Sometimes the pregnant mom gets a tad overlooked. She gets presents... of things for the baby. They're loved, they're appreciated, but I want to do something for the mom.

Nothing huge - I will be making a present for the baby - but just something for the mom to have during the pregnancy and feel loved. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So far I have thought of a prayer journal with cover, or a bookmark of some kind. Part of me wants to do just like a small bag with something in it... but what? (You know, like the one's that have a bandaid and a sucker and a penny and a clothespin with some little card about why the heck they're all in there?).

Didn't crochetme have an afghan for the mom last year? And how about a lovely stole-like coverup for when breatfeeding that can double as a shawl for her? Crochetme also had a pattern for one of those heat-pad type things you stuff with flaxseed and smellly good stuff (for the life of me, I can't remember the name) for aching body parts. How about some nice smelling sachets made from thread or thin yarn? Heck, maybe you should just troll through crochetme's archives--they always have such great ideas.

Patty

I like the sachet with smelly stuff...that's a great idea.

An idea that came to my mind is a nice set of bath stuff. There are some patterns for crocheted loufas and washcloths and soapsavers and things that have turned out real nice. When I was pregnant, someone got me some lovely smelling lotions and gels and bubble baths and stuff and if you included the little crocheted washcloths and things, it would be perfect. She also gave me a little book with thoughts about being a mother. I loved sitting in my tub those last few weeks, lighting some candles and reading other peoples stories about babies while I rubbed my tummy looking forward to meeting my own little one soon. It was a very thoughtful gift.

Well, from personal experience: Some nice lotion/massage oil for foot or back rubs or a lotion to avoid stretch marks is very nice, and would fit well in a small gift bag. A journal to keep babyrelated thoughts and questions for your health practitioner is also a good idea. Or a cd with some nice, relaxing music? I love your idea of doing something for the mum!

Yes, the idea of some nice handmade washcloths tucked in among other bath goodies is a great idea. Maybe you could also crochet a flower of some sort to tuck in with it all. Even if you made a "foot" basket. You know , nice smelly stuff to soak in along with lotions, exfolients,polish etc., anything for a pedicure. I don't know about anyone else but my feet would swell & get tired very easily and this would have been a wonderful gift. We didn't have all that stuff 48 yrs. ago tho so I was out of luck. I have done it for my granddaughter though when she was expecting her son. Might even add a bottle of sparkling cider & of course some candles.

My cousin's wife just had a baby. I made the baby a lovely pink blanket, and soft slippers from the leftover yarn. She loved :manyheart them! And they had matching *outfits* right off the bat! ;)

Remembering all three of my pregnancies, I have a suggestion. How about a basket to "Pamper" mom to be. Things like crochet wash cloth, nice fuzzy socks or slippers, book, bubble bath and lotion, etc. OR, make something like this

http://www.pixiedustgifts.com/gifts/category/survival_kits/120index3-22-0.php

I just made the military ones for my husband's unit. You can buy it for $15, OR make it yourself for MUCH MUCH less!!

Donna

These are some great ideas, and I thank you all for all of them :U I wish I had the time and resources to make afghans for all of the moms (I do love afghans), but did I mention there are at least four pregnant women in my Sunday School class alone? :eek

I'm with you guys... pampering the mom is a good target. I love the idea of the heating pads (my friend gave me a bought one when I was pregnant, and I love :heart love it - and so does my husband); and didn't know you could make them.

Donna, that link was just wonderful... I would love to make something like that, maybe put it all in a small drawstring bag. Thank you!

How about some cute slippers or embellished flip-flops? I couldn't wear my regular shoes when I was pregnant in the summer time, as my feet kept swelling up! The lotions in a little bag is a cute idea,too.

i'm not sure if it was mentioned, but you can make microwavable heating pads out of buckwheat or cherry pits. make them using fabric and create a pretty crochet cover for it?

Some type of afghn comes to mind. I love to see whatever you end up making.

Is this the one : http://www.crochetme.com/Apr_May_2005/patt_mommy_blanket.html

Thanks so much for posting this link GA_Rebel! :hug

I'd remembered coming across this pattern in the past but couldn't find it in my "stash" and couldn't remember where it was online. :eek Since I just found out that I'm expecting a week after my sister-in-law I thought of this shawl to make for her (and definitely one for me)!!

Hi Katherine,

how about a nice pair of slippers for Mom to wear? Out of some nice yarn? They would be easy to get on and off and also warm.

since you have 4 women that are pregnant and wanting to give something to, why not make up "pamper baskets". could buy several diff types of tea bags and divvy them up in the baskets (that way they could try a few different types, maybe), a cup/mug w/ something nice on it, if you can find them where you live they do have the spoons w/ sugar crystalized on them for sweetening, a movie(?) so can sit and relax a bit, a comfort shawl/nursing cover for breastfeeding, a coupon from you to paint their nails for them (not been pregnant myself, but know folks and they complain they can't bend over to paint their nails very well), etc.

theres also the option of fixing a dinner for the mom and dad to be's and delivering it to them to have a special nite together before the baby comes.

Sandy

I'm doing the same thing for an online mommy friend of mine...she's expecting her third in Nov, and has already found out it's a boy...I've made a sweater for him, and am nearly finished with a baby blanket to match...but I'm also going to make the Seraphina shawl for her...planning to do it in all white so that she can use it with whatever she wants...

I remember the days of getting up at the oddest hours with my girls to feed them and there were definately times I wished I had something that I could just pull around me easily without disturbing the baby's bottle...the shawl will be good for that, or as a cover up if she nurses and they're out in public...but it's also something that she can use just for herself for the rest of her life...

Jessie

How about crocheting a large tote bag(that could also double as a cool diaper bag later.)In the tote bag you could put small items to pamper mom such as a wonderful smelling lotion,a small journal,chocolate,...

Wow, You people are really creative about gift giving!:yes :yes :yes I have bookmarked this thread as it has so many great ideas! Thanks for posting your suggestions for us all....

How sweet of you to do. I love so many of the ideas that have already been posted. Maybe a memory bag or envelope? I know I'm like a broken record with that idea but I just fell in love with it after getting my memory bag from my sis for mothers day.

eta: Dream pillows are also nice to. I've given numerous ones as gifts , yet another idea from my sister. She usually gives one to mom and one to baby.

Archived