Guitar Strap Crochet - a short epic saga

Do you play the guitar? I need to pick your brain.

I have decided to crochet a/a few guitar strap(s) for my brother for his birthday. As easy as it looks, I thought I would check online to see if there was a pattern. Well, there are two. For knitting. :eek

Good for me I had planned on kind of making it up as I went along, anyway. But for those interested in doing the same thing, I got one great idea from these patterns: line the back with fabric for sturdiness (and comfort!).

I also got the wake up call that I need to know how long to make a guitar strap :think Makes sense to me, but I hadn't thought of it. How do I figure out how long to make it, if I want it to be a surprize? I can get my mom to check his closet for clothes size, I could have my dad sneak into his car for how many cds he needs a cd holder to carry... but won't it look suspicious when my mom gets him to hold the guitar at a comforatable level and then measures around his neck? :U

My back up plan (and really front runner right now, actually) is to go to JoAnn or Ben Franklin and find a slidy-thingie (I'm sure they have real names) like on overall straps, only bigger, so that it will be adjustable. But what is the average length range, then? (for the record, my brother is 6'2")

I've decided to make the first one using hemp or jute. Very "boy", very natural", very "him". I might try some nylon or felted after this one.

Any experiences with guitar straps, crocheted or not, is appreciated, including interesting patterns/materials to use!

don't know if this helps at all but :hook . In Happy Hooker there is a pattern for a scraf that can also be used as a guiter strap. I don't have the book in front of my otherwise i would give you the pg #. It's the sefl striping scarf. Good luck

I don't know if this will help but Knitty Gritty on the DIY network did a show on guitar straps. here is a like to the patten

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3021197,00.html

as far a the length can you try to mesure the length of one of his guitar straps that is lying around when he is not there?

I play guitar and I have to say it's not really about how tall he is...it's more about how he likes to hold the guitar...some ppl like to have it hanging around the neck really low and some like to hold the guitar way up high... so like tweety256 said before me... you should measure his guitar strap when he's gone... that's what I'd do:think I hope it's any help:D

Crocheted guitar straps seem to be a hot topic--I've had at least two requests for a pattern in the past month or so. I had to ask them if they knit. :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! (Lining would be very nice, as otherwise it would stretch too much.)

The one on the DIY site is 44" long. That is probably a good starting point, but I would definitely use one of those "slidy-thingies". (I don't know what they're called either). :)

Hmmm.... sounds like I need to do some espionage. :devil I'm not sure how I'll measure his strap, but I'm sure if I can convince my dad it's remotely James Bond, he'll be up for it (I'll tell him to dress in his tux and sneak in to take pictures from the end of a drinking straw while my brother is at work. How to get the camera in the drinking straw will be his problem).

The one on the DIY site is 44" long. That is probably a good starting point, but I would definitely use one of those "slidy-thingies". (I don't know what they're called either). :)

I feel better that I'm not just the last person in the world who knows they're actually called frombrocks, or whatever crazy name they actually have (although I think I may call them frombrocks from now on! Hey, yeah, I like that!).

It occurred to me, after answering Knitted_Painting's question about musical instruments (we have some talented 'villers, too! Not just crafty!) that... I own guitars! Some with straps! I feel like a moron. :blush This won't help me with length for him, but it will help with shaping and attachment tabs and whatnot.

Nylon might be a good choice as far as materials go, to combat stretching. I've had a guitar strap on my to-do list for quite a while. As another poster said, and from my own experience, it is really about how he holds the guitar, as opposed to his height.

Darn it, now I'm going to be thinking about starting that long-overdue project.

Thaaaanks!:P Just what I need...another WIP:lol

Darn it, now I'm going to be thinking about starting that long-overdue project.

Thaaaanks!:P Just what I need...another WIP:lol

uhuh.. blame it on the thread :rolleyes:P your just one of us who suffer from the Starting But Not Finishing Projects Syndrome (SBNFPS for short)!:devil

Archived