I don't know what to do!

I don't know about you guys but I have the biggest problem deciding on what to crochet. I find myself spending hours looking over the different patterns on crochet pattern central. I don't want to waste time crocheting something that I have no use for. Like I really don't think I'll ever need sachets or soap savers :lol . unfortunately I don't have the patience to make afghans. What do I do??

My most popular things (the things my students or people at the mall stop me & ask about) are little tote bags. They're fun, functional, and can use all kinds of different, colorful yarns.

Here's a few . . . thanks to our "free crochet pattern site" ladies! You girls are THE BEST :cheer

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/bags_totes_purses.php

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/totes.html

you can also make small afghans......that match a color scheme...then put them together to make the project seem smaller.....you can make gifts for family and friends for special occasions and christmas....scarves and hats dont take long......baby blankets are pretty quick....kitchen items....doilies... i hope this gives some ideas......try bookmarks....they are real quick and useful in cards......as gift toppers.....even for men......i hope this helps hun gl in your crochet adventure

you can also make small afghans......that match a color scheme...then put them together to make the project seem smaller.....you can make gifts for family and friends for special occasions and christmas....scarves and hats dont take long......baby blankets are pretty quick....kitchen items....doilies... i hope this gives some ideas......try bookmarks....they are real quick and useful in cards......as gift toppers.....even for men......i hope this helps hun gl in your crochet adventure

I think hats are great quick projects. I love receiving bookmarks as it is really difficult to buy a crocheted one. and yes you can make great pkg. toppers for any occasion.

I'd say try making something that you can wear. I've crocheted several sweaters and tops. I get the fun of crocheting, plus I get to update my wardrobe with something that actually fits. There are several books out there with easy patterns...also, for a seamless crocheted sweater, I'll give my usual plug to:

http://www.io.com/~cortese/crafts/raglan.html

This was, hands down, the easiest sweater I've ever made. I embellished it a little by using FPdc/BPdc to make wrist and neck ribbings. I still get compliments on it...

I have that problem too. Unless it's a gift or charity item. That helps a lot. So maybe make a list of items you want to make for people for Christmas and then start on that list. Of course with doilies it's hard, as I have quiete a few Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet magazines and can look through those for hours and not decide on a doily... :rolleyes Sometimes with gifts too if I don't know what to give them... so I have to be specific, like dishclothes or hats or something!

Debbi

I am guessing, that like me, you just WANT and NEED to crochet SOMETHING. And, like you, I don't want to make things that are of no use so, here is what I do...

When I don't have a particular project that I am making for myself or family but I still want to crochet, I will either make scumbles in free form and just stash them for later use OR I just crochet a hat, a scarf, a pair of gloves or mittens, a shawl or a baby blanket - all of these things are then consigned to the "charity" boxes. In the fall, the boxes will be taken to various homeless shelters, battered women's shelters, etc. It's a great way to get the enjoyment of just crocheting something and still be making something that will actually do someone, somewhere, some good.

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I think I'll start doing the crocheting for charity. That sounds good. And I guess its never too late to start christmas items. :) And what are "toppers"??

I have on going projects like granny squares that I do when I can't think of what else to do. I have specific times allocated for certain charity works for instance I make preemie hats during General Hospital and pet blankets during Antique Roadshow. I " allow" myself one hour at a time for dreaming and scouring magazines and if I haven't found a project in that amount of time then I probably won't on that particular day.I'm EXTREMELY organized (anal) in the tasks I do each day. Too many projects, not enough time.

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I think I'll start doing the crocheting for charity. That sounds good. And I guess its never too late to start christmas items. :) And what are "toppers"??

A topper is like an über-bow. Instead of just putting ribbon on a package, you can tie on a pretty bookmark, or a mini-sweater, or a snowflake, or ... whatever! It's like a present before the present.

Sometimes I make them as teasers (like a mini-sweater for clothes (bought or made)). Sometimes I use them as a decorative extra gift (like a bookmark or a mini-doily coaster or snowflake ornament). Sometimes I use them instead of gift tags (my husband is notorious for "shaking presents", so I put one color/type of topper on his, and another for each person... they can't know whose is whose until I distribute :devil!

Archived