Am I the only one???????????

I don't know about any of you, but when I crochet something I am very anul about it. If I find any errors, I "HAVE TO" fix them. It doesn't matter how much work I have to redo or undo, but I just absolutely have to fix it. I don't have this problem with anything else, just crochet. Some of my family call me a perfectionist, but I don't feel like I am. When I ask friends and family if they see anything wrong, they always tell me no. All I have to do is take a quick look at whatever it is I am making and if there is anything wrong, I am sure to find it. Do any of you tend to do this as well??????????

you are not the only one, I do the same thing! I have frogged an entire baby blanket because I found a mistake while doing the edging on the very first row after the beg chain!!!

When I originally started crocheting; I wouldn't go back more than a few stiches to fix Anything unless it was major. Now I'll frog & restart more willingly-but it has to be something noticable if I'm going to undo a lot of work. I'll also crochet embellishments to hide flaws, especially on purses & hats. Those usually turn out to be my favorite anyway. I admire people who are perfectionist-I just don't have the inclination-or time;) .

I do too...

The double wool with tartan inlay blanket actually was within 2 hours of being finished when I found an error & unpicked the whole thing & remade it in a different pattern..

it sucks being so anal... someone said to me here in Auz that its the "mistake" that makes it unique...

hmmmmm..... NUP... its the mistake that drives you nutso....

Just today I was almost finish with this project I had been working on for the longest time my daughter said mom you have a gap right there in the start and out came the needle and the yarn just flew .My kids think I am nutsI thought I was the only one that was that nuts to start all over when most people wouldn't even notice it was there or that it was just not part of the pattern

I did complete one afghan and noticed a gap but was able to stitch into it ...... I couldn't even find it later. Now, I try to really check my work as I go along, saves a lot of frustration later. Much easier to frog a couple of rows instead of the whole thing. I guess it was a learning experience. I've also done my share of frogging on smaller pieces.

Its just having pride in your work. Otherwise you would always see that spot, because although no one else may see it, you will. My grandmother said she would rip back row after row to fix a spot and my grandfather just couldnt understand why she would do that.

Its just having pride in your work. Otherwise you would always see that spot, because although no one else may see it, you will. My grandmother said she would rip back row after row to fix a spot and my grandfather just couldnt understand why she would do that.

My husband is the same way. He can't understand why I take it out when no one would notice...I tell him that I would and that is what matters.

OK, gotta admit - I'm NOT with you guys...I look at it and say "can anyone else see it?" If not, I'll move along, unless it's within the last 15 minutes of work. I often have "deadlines" for my projects, so can't just rip it all out, my time is too short and I'd miss my deadline. But, I'm with Nevadamama, I check my work and count often to try to prevent that....if I have to frog work, it makes me nearly cry for the time wasted....

I also try to avoid going too far past a mistake, but if I miss something and it won't be visible to anyone else, I ignore it or, if possible, repair it.

i am sooo like that. once i had made this intricate afghan pattern, i mean it was only for advanced crocheters. i was on the last row, the last stitch, and i found it, a mistake in the 2nd row from the begining

the wedding was in less than a week, what should i do, i frogged it. the whole darn thing. lol, and redid it, was just a wee bit late but the bride and groom understood, when they got back from their honeymoon it was waiting for them in their new home:yes :yes so no your not the only one who does this. i am probably one of the worst people to do this. it has to be just right for me or i redo it:lol :lol :lol

If I notice a mistake, I have to fix it. If I have already finished the project, and it is done, I won't take it apart and fix it. One time I made a doily for my mom, and my step-dad came home and within two minutes he noticed a mistake. (It was the pattern, I went home and checked.) But it made me SOOO mad. (I of course didn't say anything, but that is how 'anal' I am.) :blush

Tina

ok, i'll frog back like one row...but if i don't notice it until way into the project...too bad! it stays. however, if it's extremely noticable or makes a difference in the finished look (say a garment like a sweater) I'll be doing some frogging.

It really depends on what I am making. If it is an Afghan, Yes I will frog no matter how far. If it is something small like a hat then I consider it a "design element" (borrowed this from a forum poster) and leave it.

Fix it, I just can't leave it. It really annoys me sometimes that I can't leave it, but it bugs me if I don't fix it. Maybe it has something to do with something I always say.....if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

:lolWHEN I MAKE A MISTAKE, I DON'T USUALLY FIND IT UNTIL I'M HALF WAY THROUGH. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY , REALLY DO NOT LIKE TO RIP:no SO I MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE IN 3 OTHER PLACES EVENLY SPREAD, UNTIL ABOUT THE SAME PLACE I MADE THE FIRST MISTAKE SO IT LOOKS AS IF IT'S PART OF THE PATTERN.:lol

I do this. First I'll look at it and debate the amount of work involved. I don't know why I think about it 'cause I always end up ripping it out. Ribbit:2frog. My husband just looks at me and shakes his head. My daughter helps me. She's 6, and I tell her take this piece of :yarn and run girl run!! She loves it.

I understand your compulsion, but am happy to say I don't share it - happy because I have made a lot of "little" mistakes :P

I just fudge around it if the mistake isn't really noticeable - which in most things, it's not. But I think I get that mentality from the fact that I do so much with freeform crochet, where mistakes simply don't exist :yay

Nope I don't have that disease! I only fix the mistakes if they make a change to the outcome of the pattern or if it is obvious to others. Usually like Nhewyt I will fudge it, if it is just a row or two back I will frog it.

I don't seem to have this problem either....that's not to say that I would leave a MAJOR mistake...I just don't sweat the small stuff. This is a handmade item....it's not supposed to be "perfect".

I get frustrated at the start of a project and usually end up frogging it several times early on, especially if it is a counting mistake that will make the item look different. I am almost done with a tote bag and have just noticed that where the rounds meet that there is about a six inch area that looks thicker than the rest - probably didn't insert my hook in the right spot. It is right in the middle of all the rounds. I have thought several times of ripping it apart, but have decided to get some yarn and make flowers to attach right in that spot. From now on, I am checking my work every few rows or so.

Archived