Crochet & Air travel...

What has been everyones experience with crochet hooks on a plane? I can't think of a better way to pass the time, but I started crocheting :knitafter my last plane trip....hmmm:think ....As I recall...my "girls trip" with my 2 sisters, to surprise my grandfather is what resulted in my taking up crochet. While spending the ENTIRE night stuck in the stinky Philadelphia terminal:yuck , my middle sis suggested we make christmas gifts for each other....and so the crochet monster was born from me. I sure wish I started crocheting before that trip because a nice warm blanket would have been custom around 3 am.

We are planning trip number 2...of course a surprise:yay to grandpa yet again...and I'd really like to bring my work with me...so what do you think ladies?

Crochet hooks are explicitly allowed by the TSA on domestic flights (as are knitting needles and all the components for needlepoint excet scissors).

However, whether or not you are allowed to bring the item on is always up to the individual screener. I've certainly carried on both metal crochet hooks and metal knitting needles with no difficulties, but you could always buy a plastic, bamboo, or wooden hook if you're worried.

Internationally the rules may vary: what you're allowed to carry on to the return flight depends on the rules of your destination country.

I have flown at least 10 times in the last year and I haven't had any problems taking crochet hooks - but as Bethany says, it is up to the screener. I try to take just a plastic hook so that if they do want to take it, it isn't that great amount of money to have lost on the hook and I can probably get another wherever I am going. I leave my good ones at home, just in case. Instead of scissors, you can take those thread/yarn cutters.

Recently when we flew for missions I emailed and asked about this very question. Crochet hooks are permitted. Knitting needles are not (plastic may be but not guarenteed) Yarn pendant cutters are a big nono because they are a razor blade. Childs safty scissors are ok with a blundt end but I had mine confiscated an empty dental floss container was sugested but I just had hubby rip(not frog) the yarn when needed.(it was a big project that was finished just before we landed)

Strange You can not bring scissors but I was allowed to carry on a hand blown glass pitcher> Hummm thats one for the books I guess

And you are right philly is stinky!!!

I have never had a problem with any of my crochet hooks or knitting needles. And if you think about it, you can really do some damage with some of the hooks. Have you ever seen a size 12 steel? Or a size 0 knitting needle? I've drawn blood poking my finger on those. I also haven't had any problem with my blunt nosed scissors.

As everyone has said, it depends on who the screener is. I've always carried a prepaid small padded envelope, just in case they won't let me take my hooks or needles on.

When I flew to Vegas, I had a pair of scissors in my bag, and of course hooks and yarn. Well, they saw the scissors in my bag through their x-ray machine, and took my bag aside to remove the scissors, while they were in there, they found some yellow eyelash yarn, and decided it could be something that is used in explosives, so they scooped it up with this little wand thing, put it on a piece of paper, ran it through a machine, and of course came up negative. Anyway, point is, you can take finger nail clippers on the plane (I know for sure the small ones, but I'm not sure about the bigger ones), and they work pretty well.

i flew last year and saw this lady walking down the ailse with some BIG knitting needles and hubby asked me "now how in the hell did she get on with those and i have to tose my bic lighter?" he knows just how much damage can be done with those, his ex attacked him with a pair. :eek i have no idea how something like that can get by. I would think that crochet and knitting neddles, any size and metal, would be dangerous. but if you think about it, anything can be with enough force.

p.s.

I have a small pocket knife on my keychain and everytime we've flown it's been in my carry-on and never taken, go figure :think

We just flew to Salt Lake a few weeks ago I use flexible Balleen crochet hooks, and a cutter instead of scissors I kept them all in my carry on, no problems at all not even a second glance. since there isn't much room for yarn etc. in the seat and I find that tray table the wrong height, I sit it(the yarn) at my feet in a zip lock bag with just a small opening for the yarn to come thru. Worked great. I did look up the carry on policies on line for the Airline and Airports, ahead of time.

On UK flights they are super strict they dont let you carry on knitting needles or hooks. I had to buy a book and was severly traumetised lol. 4 hours sat down and not crocheting it was pure hell. but at the check in desk there is a poster up with a pair of knitting needles and a huge cross through them.

I was asked if i had anything sharp in my hand luggage and my fella asked me where I had put my knitting needles. I had to transfer them to my suitcase. major bummer. but I had loads of knitting and crocheting done when i got there by the pool.

Some places are more strict than others. as for those who can crochet during flights good on yer xx why would you want to gouge someone with a crochet hook when you could be crocheting lol. xxx

They've lightened up the requirements of what is allowed in the past 6 months or so. You are now permitted scissors, below a certain size (5" or 6", I think.) I recently crocheted across the country... no problem whatsoever.

Joan

Yarn pendant cutters are a big nono because they are a razor blade.

But the blade is not exposed enough to make contact with anything but yarn/thread... I have always been told that these were allowed, including by an airport employee that was one of my students.

I fly often (i.e. every week at least 2 flights) around Europe and have never had anything confiscated. I was questioned in a regional Belgium airport on what my thread hook was - I had a cap on it so they did not believe that it was for crocheting until I showed them how the cap came off and then they were okay.

One funny story in Italy - I had about 6 thread hooks in my carry on bag that I had forgotten about (I usually only take 1 but I forgot to dump the others in my checked bag) the security guard pulled them out and started discussing with his boss. I said that they were for crochet and that the airline said they were okay. The guy finally agreed with me and said that I could take them on the plane but........it was illegal to actually crochet with them while the plane was in flight! I gave him a funny look, said okay, and went on my merry way....crocheting the whole way back to Belgium!

Knitting needles of any size or composition are allowed by the TSA. Whether they're actually allowed on is up to the screener, but that's how people get on with them: they're allowed items. Sure, you could do damage with them, but you could do just as much damage with a mechnical pencil, and they allow those.

I use nail clippers as cutters on planes.

I knew that knitting needles weren't allowed on the UK, but I didn't know crochet hooks weren't allowed. I wonder what I'll do if I ever have to fly back from Britain again (and I hope I do). Knifty Knitter? Naalbinding?

I just flew two weeks ago with no problem, but I didn't bring scissors (I was working on a circular afghan and wouldn't need them). I had printed the FAA page stating it was okay to bring crochet hooks and knitting needles onto the plane because I could not find where this was addressed on the Continental Airlines website. No one even blinked at the security checkpoint. I brought a plastic hook just in case. In three weeks I'm flying again and willbe bringing my steel thread hook, so I'm hoping there will be no problems this time either. Patty

Personally, what DesertCrocheter did is exactly what I would do. Print the page from the TSA stating that crochet hooks are okay and take it with you, just in case. That way, even if the particular screener wants to get huffy with you, you have PROOF that they're an accepted item and you can silently go tell him to take a hike! ;)

Years ago when I cross-stitched more, I had a metal embroidery hoop in my carry on - boy did that cause problems - searched my whole bag and me - they thought it was a coil of wire.

As many have said before, it is up to the screener and also that days security level. It doesn't matter if the regulations say you can take it or not, if that screener doesn't want to let you, then you are not taking it.

Also, the reason things like crochet hooks and knitting needles and pencils, etc. are allowed and not things like lighters and razors and knives is that the airlines know that just about anything can cause harm to someone, but they are more concerned about something being cut or burned on the plane to disable it from flying. With the improvements to the cockpit, you probably aren't going to get into it to do harm to the pilots, however, from the cabin, if you know where to look, you can cut wires, lines, all kinds of stuff to bring that plane down.

I think another reason is simply that people have a good reason to want knitting needles, crochet hooks, and pencils on planes: to entertain themselves on the flight. You can't smoke on the flight so you don't need a lighter, and what would you do with a knife or a razor on a plane? (Whittle, I guess, but a lot more people knit to pass the time than whittle to pass the time.)

I guess my point is that if you're trying to carry a crochet hook on a plane, the overwhelming liklihood is that you plan to crochet on the flight with it, wheras if you're trying to carry a knife on the plane, the odds that you're up to no good are a lot higher.

But the blade is not exposed enough to make contact with anything but yarn/thread... I have always been told that these were allowed, including by an airport employee that was one of my students.

when I emailed and asked specifically about the pendant cutter it was told me that they are considered a razor blade and could easily be taken apart for the use of the blade. I dont know who tried that but mine seems pretty well put together

again I started a project that was a BIG project and was done before we landed.

a year ago I took plastic hooks and pre measured balls of:yarn to make my 6 inch grannies.

I am not a trouble maker and when 9 others are depending on each other to get thru secrity well you know. I am just miss nice

I guess we are lucky here. I asked my neighbor (he does security at our local airport) what he would allow and he said no knotting needles because of the possibility of someone taking them to someone's eyes. He said that my yarn cutter pendant was alright but only in the US because of the possiblity that it could be used if taken apart. He thinks that it would be unfair to take my hooks because then I couldn't make him anything if I had to buy them again. I just said he would have to bring them home at the end of the day and not throw them away.

He does agree that some people to tend to over-react but I would rather not have someone try to hijack the plane I am on so they can do whatever they need to.

Usually I do only try to take one hook when traveling so I can at least do something. I think the scanner that took out the yellow yarn needs to get a clue.:blush

I don't see any way to get mine open (the Clover antique gold one). The little pin in the back has no way to get ahold of it to unscrew it...

So I'm thinking:think ...after all these interesting and CONFLICTING experiences. I'll bring a plastic hook, a pair of small nail clippers and enough skeins of yarn to keep me in business for a few hours....and of course I'll buy MORE :yarn for the trip home!...and...I'll bring a good book for plan "B".

After everyone's comments, Shellybrook has the right idea. And always have a book or magazine, just in case!

Have a great flight.

Linda:manyheart

I'm going to Hawaii in August, and I was crossing my fingers I could bring my crocheting with me - I'll definitely be buying some plastic hooks, though, just in case.

Archived