Kool-Aid Dyeing Step -by-Step with Photos!

cmr3877

Wow! Those are some interesting pictures, Catherine. I've never tried to dye anything but it looks like fun. I definitely like your second try better. Now, what will you make with that beautiful scarlet wool?

It WAS fun :D, except for the UNTANGLING part!

It took 2 hours per skein to get it all untangled and into balls :eek. Check my blog for the finished product

Roli, the wool is destined for a new hook case for my two wood hooks! They deserve it!

• 3 weeks later...

and another question, what is cool aid?

If it is a cordial and can be used to dye wool, what does it do to your intestines????

and another question, what is cool aid?

If it is a cordial and can be used to dye wool, what does it do to your intestines????

Kool Aid is a powdered drink. Mumbles sent me some to dye with but i thought id try it. Its great, it says 0%fat 0% sugar etc but it says ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR and you have to add a cup of sugar thats 16!!!! tablespoons lol.

It cant be any worse for you than coke lol.

So you can actually drink it too?!? weird lol I want to give it a try...I have to finish all my projects first though..most of em are presents so they HAVE to be done:) but I've always wanted to try it...where do you buy Kool Aid?

Don't you have anything comarable to Kool-Aid??? My question is, if you have no powdered drink mixes, HOW DID YOU SURVIVE CHILDHOOD??? LOL!

With 5 kids, I can't imagine my life WITHOUT Kool-aid! They even made me save the "points" to buy the plastic "Kool-aid Man" pitcher! As for staining, (I clean up ALOT of spills), I have always been able to get them out, which is why I was wondering if the dye will come out in the laundry.

And for those of you "across the pond", here is Kool-aid's website:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/koolaid/

• 2 weeks later...

kool aid is good stuff but I NEVER add the full amount of sugar when I make it for drinking.

Just got some raw silk in the mail today, plan to do some koolaid dying later ...maybe this weekend.

I always use half the amount of sugar, or even less to start with. Once you know your preferences you can make it that way every time.

If it gets on yarn by accident, it's ruined, if you do it on purpose, it's dyeing. Wool carpet + spilling children = disaster

it stained my hands more when i was making a drink than when i was dyeing lol. I dont use the full amount of sugar, i too add about half and then add more depending on the flavour.

We didnt have powdered drinks when i was a kid, we had bottles of cheap cordial with the same amounts of colouring and additives which kept our sugar levels up to the point of hyperactivity :) And we have always had coke too :) I think Kool Aid is probably better for you than Coke :)

Archived