Finger Indentation???

Hey all,

Does anyone else get a red line or indentation on their left index finger where their yarn rests? I know that I put a fair amount of tension on my yarn, but if I crochet for a long time it starts to get a little sore. It's not as bad when I just use standard stitches, but when I cable or things like that is when I really feel it.

Is there some kind of finger guard or something that can fix it, or maybe some something you do to make it a little better?

Tricia

I haven't seen anything for crocheting but i have seen some for kntting. I've noticed that i have a sore spot on both hands, one from the hook and one from the yarn/thread

There is actually a product made to help with that... it's called "Alligator Skin" and it's a tape that you wrap around your finger... it sticks to itself, rather than to your finger. You would use it when you first notice any irritation. I know it's available from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply.

I sometimes just wrap a bandaid around my finger if I am going to crochet for a really long time with yarn that may irritate, and remove the bandaid when I'm done.

Joan

I have tried bandaids and mole skin where the thread rubs, but find that when I do thread crochet it just wears right through with time. Another thing is my finger will get sweaty and make the bandaid slide and then the yarn/thread gets into the adhesive. So overall I find anything on my finger (sticky) is more trouble than it is worth to me.

They do make yarn guides:

Clover - https://www.knitpicks.com/cart/CartProductShow.asp?from=2&item=80133[/url]

Gydzit - http://stores.ebay.com/MECM-crochet-GYDZIT-Store

I have not tried either, I have found I have built almost a calluse now where my yarn and thread runs, but it can still get sore from time to time with certain projects and definitely turns red with thread projects.

I still have a sore spot from knitting something last month. Crochet doesn't do that, unless there's somethign else wrong, such as dry, thin skin, which I often get. But even then, I can still crochet most of the time, because I have pretty low tension. Do you hold the hook like a knife, or like a pencil? I think pencil grip may loosen your tension. :)

:cheer I dont have a problem with my fingers but with my wrists if I am wearing sleeves when crocheting.

I crochet quite fast and the movement of my arm inside the sleeve causes a nasty, very itchy rash, especially on my left arm.

My watch strap tends to do the same thing but that usually takes longer.

The cure is to remove my watch and roll up my sleeves.

:cheer My suggestion for your sore fingers is to use softer, finer yarn and a smaller hook and ease off on the tension.

I dont use anything thicker than 8ply and a 4mm hook because any bigger tends to make my hands ache.

It is maybe a little slower to finish but much easier on the hands.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

i get a burn sensation when the thread/yarn comes over my baby finger into the palm area (did that make sense?) so i try to keep it away from where the fingers meet (the web area) again, did that make sense?

:think

I do get a mark on my right index finger from both knitting and crocheting. ( I'm left handed so I use the other hand for yarn control than you righties do. ) But, it never hurts or anything. I've actually got a little wear spot right were the yarn glides on both the skin and the nail. It's not really that noticable,though.

I also get the indent. Right hand for me as I am left handed. Never hurts me though and I do use a lot of thread and rarely yarn. Just know when I have been working steady at a project. Goes away in an hour or so when I quit crocheting.

Yes mine use to go away, until I sliced it open a few times with a small steel hook. Now I have a permanent scar there built up for the thread to go through. Ack. You really cannot see it unless you look for it. thank goodness. The only thing that works for me is black electrical tape. Band aids dont work for me.

I have to be honest here (even if y'all are gonna hate me :lol) and say that I have never, ever, in my 20+ years of crocheting ever had this happen to me.

It seems to me that if you're getting an indentation in your finger(s), then it means that you're holding the yarn entirely too tightly.

Of course, I COULD be wrong (miracles happen, right? :D just kidding!!! :lol), but that's my initial take on the whole thing.

my gram taught me to weave the yarn through my fingers on my left hand and the yarn seems to just glide over them, it's a little weird feeling at first but i dont know how else to control my yarn tension and i've never had any sores from the yarn and i crochet all the time maybe you should try that, weave yarn under pinky, over ring, under middle, and over index finger

I've never had that happen with yarn. But my never-ending-project is a large oval tablecloth in thread. I work on it now and then and will always get a line across my finger from the thread. (This is probably the reason that it is a never-ending-project.:D )

I've beeen knitting& crocheting for almost 50 yrs. & have never had that happen (thank goodness) but You know those suede or leather "thimbles" that are made for quilters? Would those work to protect your fingers? or how about using either scrap leather or cutting some patches from suede elbow protectors (bought at fabric stores) and using them. I don't really know but these are the things that came to mind as I read your posts.

I just bought a thread guide. I am making a bunch of bookmarks for the people I work with, as I am leaving, and I need to make them all up in the 2 weeks before I leave. I get a spot where it almost rubs numbish feeling. So, I bought the 4 thread guide at walmart, don't know the brand, but it was $2.88, and I love it. I weave the thread around fingers et al for tension, but it never failed to bother that pointer finger. This has helped tremendously, and I can work longer.

Thanx All,

So many great ideas. I have tried the band-aid and after a bit it wears out. I weave my yarn around the pinky and over the ring finger, under the middle and over the index to the work. I admit that when I'm working on a complicated stitch I tend to press my pinky finger against the ring finger to create more tension to make my stitiches tighter. This Christmas I made my Mom a cabled scarf and I was running out of time because I made my Dad a Tunisian pillow, so I spent A LOT of time crocheting. By the time I finished both things my finger was beet red and was very sore. I haven't noticed if I still press fingers on normal stitches tho, so I'll have to watch myself tonight. I have seen the knitting finger thingy so I figured that there had to be one for crochet. I could try the leather and see how that goes. The red line and indentation do go away after a bit, BUT like so many of us I have a REALLY HARD time putting my project down.

Thanx All of You for your ideas, I'll give them a shot,

Tricia

i've never gotten an irritation but i knowe i was looking @ herrschners online yesterday and remember coming across something ....you could also use a "yarn guide" they cost approx. 3$ can get them almost anywhere they sell hooks and accessories.........

Must be the way I hold my yarn and hook, but I get it on my thumb just below the knuckle. I wear cotton gloves when it gets real sore; I buy the gloves at the dollar store....they're actually inserts for when you use rubber gloves, very light weight.

I'm in the callous camp... I usually have a little callous right at the top joint in my left pointer finger where the yarn/thread runs over it!

I have recently started thread crochet with small steel hooks, and I haven't quite figured out what is going to work best for me to not stab myself in the finger with the hook! I'm leaning towards one of those little rubber "thimbles" secretaries use for filing papers.

Archived