Edging a flannel baby blanket w/ thread

Carol

Question

For those of you who have edged flannel baby blankets (AKA "receiving blankets"): The blanket I bought is already serged/hemmed around the edge. (Hope that's the right terminology; I am not much of a seamstress.) My question is: Must I punch holes in the fabric to crochet the edging? Or can I just crochet into the hem stitching?

I haven't tried either way yet, because I don't want to ruin the blanket. (I haven't done anything like this since I was a child. I learned to crochet back in the Dark Ages by making edgings on my mom's linen table napkins. I didn't like it much and kinda dread doing it again, so if crocheting into the hemstitch would be stable enough for the edging, I'll try that. It might be easier than poking holes.)

TIA.

6 answers to this question

Carol-

I agree with you. I wouldn't put holes in the blanket, but one idea is to do a blanket stitch to attach the edging to the blanket. Using embroidery thread, use one strand of a piece, saving the rest of the embroidery thread for when the first runs out. This should work. I bet it will come out nice. Good luck!

I made several of these blankets for my grandson. I went to the hospital with my daughter when she had her ultrasound and there was a lady sitting next to me doing this, and since I didn't speak Spanish we couldn't communicate, so I just sat and watched her. On my way home I stopped to buy some blankets and thread. I searched my patterns, found some edging patterns, and set out to try my hand at this. I just used the same holes that they made with their hemming stitches, which then covered up their stitches. My daughter loved them and couldn’t believe that I just made these up from watching someone else do it.

Unfortunately, I didn’t take a pic of the blankets when I was finished, but here is a site that has some pics. Hope this helps.

Oh, such good ideas, ladies. Thank you! :)

I went ahead and crocheted into the hemstitching. I was afraid the crocheting would pull out the stitching, but it didn't. It didn't occur to me to use the holes they already made with the hemstitch (duh). I will definitely do that on the next one, because, as you said, luvmnms, it will cover up the hemstitch. And there are borders that are crocheted "crosswise" that I would like to try, so I will have to just stitch the finished edging on by hand. (Thx, #1crochetfan.)

Actuallly, I'm enjoying this. Haven't done edgings in ages, because I hate poking the holes. Now that I know I don't have to do that, I'll be edging everything. :hook

I have made these for gifts but used yarn for my edgings. For baby boys, a nice simple one works very well. You don't even have to have a sewn hem. I hadseveral yds of flannel which was 45" w. I cut it 45" long, press under 1/4" all the way around. then turn & press another 1/4" around. Using a steel 1 hook, poke hole in blanket then ch about 5 ch , reach down with hook & poke another hole & keep going making sure to work at least 3 (I worked 5) st. in ea. corner. sl st to finish & weave in ends. The flannel I used was white with a lot of (confetti looking) bits of primary colors scattered on it. I used red sock yarn for the edging. I made 2 of these plus a matching baby quilt (tied with red yarn0. They were a huge hit.

I have made these for gifts but used yarn for my edgings. For baby boys, a nice simple one works very well. You don't even have to have a sewn hem. I hadseveral yds of flannel which was 45" w. I cut it 45" long, press under 1/4" all the way around. then turn & press another 1/4" around. Using a steel 1 hook, poke hole in blanket then ch about 5 ch , reach down with hook & poke another hole & keep going making sure to work at least 3 (I worked 5) st. in ea. corner. sl st to finish & weave in ends. The flannel I used was white with a lot of (confetti looking) bits of primary colors scattered on it. I used red sock yarn for the edging. I made 2 of these plus a matching baby quilt (tied with red yarn0. They were a huge hit.

Nan-Nan, do you have a pic of this?

Archived