Round Rainbow Ripple Star Blankie :)

Chrome Kitty

I finally got around to making one of these now that someone I know is having a baby. I totally copied Stichinpick's color scheme because I liked it so much. Mine is just a teeny bit different. It was fun to make this, up until the last color ~ then it just seemed like it would never end. The ever-increasing rounds were getting to me. The first 5 colors got done in a weekend, but those purple rounds took a week. I'd do a few points, then have to put it away. I was happy to finally have it done. I did change something in the center to make it more dense than the original pattern. I don't remember now what it was, but I did write it down, so if anyone's interested I can dig it up. The colors are a bit off in the picture, especially the green which looks like strained peas in this pic:yuck . I used SS Brites and this pattern.

th_rainbowripplestar.jpgpost-2549-135897403852_thumb.jpg click picture to see bigger

Edit: I'm reposting the following additional information that came up later in the thread to this post so it's all in one spot:

+I used an H hook.

+I used Caron Simply Soft Brites in 7oz. skeins and still have some left in every color. Of course, the farther out from the center each color is, the more yarn I used. The red and orange look like they weren't even used. The purple has maybe an ounce or two left. I used about 5oz of the white.

+It has 37 rounds (6 rounds of red, 5 of each other color, 1 round of white in between colors) with 588 stitches in the last round (including the 5dcs I did at each point in the final round).

+If you do the color changes in the same rounds that I did, the white round is always a small shell row which helps you remember where you are. I'd like to say I planned it out that way, but I just got lucky.;)

+It's roughly 45 inches across, which sounds rather large for a baby blanket, but since it's circular and not rectangular, it doesn't look that big.

+There's an error in the pattern on round 3. It should be:

Ch 3, *sk one st, (dc, ch 2, dc) in next st, repeat from * end with dc in base of ch 3, ch 2, join to top of ch 3. (The * is in the wrong place in the pattern and if you follow it that way, you'll be setting up 24 points instead of 12)

I didn't do round 3 that way, though. I didn't like how hole-y it was, so I did [dc in next st, (dc, ch2, dc) in next stitch] instead. This replaced the "skip one st" with a dc and filled it in nicely without affecting the rest of the pattern.

+I posted this in a different thread to help someone who was having trouble with this afghan and I thought those of who mentioned making one of these might find it helpful. It's a row by row count of how many dcs should be on each side of the points. The small shell rounds are in blue. Find it here.

:hook

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks great! I think i'll be making two of those for soon-to-be-born twins!:manyheart

Great minds ...my 12 month old twins loved theirs when I made them about 5 months ago!! They are gorgeous and get a lot of attention because they aren't your typical baby blankie!:yes

~Susan

Busy Mama to:

Hannah (9), Logan (7), Lance (5), Hayden (3) and my TWINkies Mason and Morgan (1)

I agree, I never get tired of seeing these afghans. I love the colors you picked out. It amazes me to see how this afghan can change depending on the colors and yarn used.

Beautiful work.:hook

Oooh, I love that color combination....do you remember how many skeins of each color you used?

I'm so glad you asked this because when I went to get the bag with the leftover yarn in, I found a pattern book I had been looking for and another baby afghan I started and forgot about.:lol

I used Caron Simply Soft Brites in 7oz. skeins and still have some left in every color. Of course, the farther out from the center each color is, the more yarn I used. The red and orange look like they weren't even used. The purple has maybe an ounce or two left. This just got me thinking . . . I could do another one with the colors reversed (purple out to red). I'd probably have enough left. Hmmmm Oh, and I used about 5oz of the white. I used an H hook. It has 37 rounds (6 rounds of red, 5 of each other color, 1 round of white) with 588 stitches in the last round (including the 5dcs I did at each point in the final round). It's roughly 45 inches across, which sounds rather large for a baby blanket, but since it's circular and not rectangular, it doesn't look that big. :hook

The colors are wonderful. You did a fantastic job.

I hope it goes to someone special!

Linda:cheer

It came out fabulous! you did a great job on it, and I think your idea of doing it again but working the colors in the reverse order is truly inspired! what a great idea! I bet it will look just as pretty as this one!

Archived