framing filet crochet

TriciaPaLynn

Question

Hi!

For my friend's wedding, I did her new last name in filet. Now I want to get it framed for her but would like advice first.

:yes Have you ever had a piece framed?

:yes Suggestions on where to go (Michael's, local frame shop, etc.)

:yes Wash and block before I take it in?

:yes Price estimate?

It measures 14 inches long by 5 inches wide, made with white #10 thread. It came out really cute. I used the Celtic cross-stitch chart at http://www.celticxstitch.ie/cgi-bin/stitches.cgi

Thanks!!

Tricia

3 answers to this question

My mum has had crochet samples framed, and some lace work too. She always takes them to a local framer here in the UK. He gives her an estimate and lots of advice. He even gets out the backings for them to see which colour suits best, and matches the frames too the the correct shades (particularly when she's produced things in metalic colours) Shes always very pleased with the results

She aways washes/blocks work for framing

Some of the framing has been expensive, tho she doesn't mind when its presented so well and gives a really professional finish, especially if its a gift for someone.

Guess it would be an idea to take the piece along and ask the framer's advice ? You could get more than 1 estimate if you tried a couple of framers.

Cath

Hi Tricia

I haven't yet had any crochet framed, but I have had it done for cross stitch, and I'd think some of the same cautions apply. Make sure the framer uses either several mats or spacers in the frame to make absolutely sure the crochet isn't touching the glass. If it does, over time it will not only etch into the glass, the crochet could go mildewy and rot. :eek

The best (read more expensive) framers will sew or lace the work to the mat, but cheaper ones use glue, or sticky-backed board as a backing. Again if you want the piece to last, don't let them do this! Tiny pins would be OK as long as they are the rustproof kind. I'd definitely ask how they intend to mount it before giving your precious piece into their hands!

I've had several names framed.

I would use Hobby lobby or Michaels. I always blocked my items before hand, because of additional charges to do so at the shop. I usually get a double matte in a dark solid color, like navy, black, gold, silver, etc.and for the frame. Use something simple that coordinates with the matte and thread color. Usually a 1-1 1/2 inch frame width is good. With a basic frame, and matte you can expect to pay about 40.00 + up. Depending on how much you wanna spend for double matting, and thicker frames. Good luck! Post pics of it too!

Archived