Hands & Pain

Can anyone recommend something for the pain I get in my hands? :( It seems that the moment I pick up my hook, my hand starts to hurt. It is in my palm below my index finger closer to my thumb, OUCH :cry . Do your hands hurt, and do you do anything about it ???

Rest. I was getting horrible pain for a while, and everyone told me to take a break. I didn't crochet for a week or so and I got a wrist brace and now its better. Pain is your body telling you to slow down.

Sorry. Hope it stops hurting soon!

Take some calcium/magnesium. Most health food stores and even Walmart carried it in the vitamin section. Just a few dollars for a bottle (they're combined into 1 pill). That will help with muscle aches and cramps. I take it daily for charlie horses and it prevents me from getting them and other muscle cramps too! Hope it helps!!

Definately rest it. I know its hard, or nearly impossible because I have problems following my own advice. A wrist support brace is helpful- especially if you're like me and sleep on your hand (which does not help the rest & recover therapy.) It also forces you to rest your hand... sigh!

A physical therapist at the Hand Center taught me an exercise to help alieviate the problem- hold your arm out in front of you, palm down. Grab your fingers with your other hand and gently pull your fingers up and back. Don't pull until it hurts! Hold it a few seconds, then let go. Do this a few times a day. It helps to stretch the tendons that tend to draw up. Another something, DONT try to do this while your hand/wrist is bothering you.

Ice packs also help, as does an anti-inflammatory (such as ibuprofen.)

If it continues to bother you, please see your physician. My bil now wears braces on both hands because his condition is so aggravated he has tendonitis and carpal tunnel in both hands.

Then again, it could just be cramping... LOL

Good luck, and feel better soon!

Cris~

On top of the stupid amount of crochet I've been doing lately, Ive spent the last two days audio typing at work, after not typing that much for about a month so as you can imagine, both hands hurt everywhere :( To be honest though, the typing hurts more...

you hands hurt because you are holding your yarn or crochet hook WAY too tight. this happened to me...and i took a couple days break and when i picked up my crocheting, i tried not too hold thing too tight. it helped out a lot....good luck!

try putting on a tensor bandage. my therapist says that its only to remind you that you're injured. also try to hold your hook in your fist,rather than pencil style.. I find that sometimes I have to go to bigger yarn and a bigger hook until the pain recedes. good luck

Thanks everyone for your great advice. It is hard to quit crocheting, so maybe I can try some of the other tips and trick first. If that doesn't help I will have to take a break I guess.

LOL - crochetlady - a middle finger brace, can you imagine what that would look like :D

Thanks again

Kelly,

I've been taking a break from crochet for 2 1/2 months now because of excruciating pain in my wrist. It's tendinitis and won't heal unless it gets rest. My mistake was continuing to crochet even though I knew I should have stopped. I wear a brace and have recently resorted to a sling. This forces me to not use my hand. Once I tried the sling, the wrist finally began to heal and I am still babying it along. The doc wanted to do a steroid shot but I declined.

I just wanted you to know what happens if you don't rest your hand!:hug

I would follow the advice already here. If it hurts, STOP crocheting and give your hand a rest!

I just went through Carpal Tunnel Surgery. For quite awhile I kept telling myself it was nothing but when the pain and tingling got so bad I couldn't handle it anymore I went to the Dr. and boy am I glad I did!

I had the surgery a little over a month ago. Even though I am still not up to doing thread projects yet, I am able to work on yarn projects with NO PAIN!

If the pain continues, go see the Dr. If it is Carpal Tunnel, if left untreated you can have permanent problems that surgery cannot help. If it's something else like tendonitis they can help you as well.

Don't be afraid to seek medical treatment.

Good luck to you!!! :hook

Hi Kelly, a few years ago, I ended up with terrible carpal tunnel in both hands (between crochet and spending all day on a computer). In the end, it got so bad, I had to take almost a year break from crochet. But a few other things I can recommend:

1. buy a wrist brace to wear at night. These are absolutely fantastic! Get the kind with the metal brace in it: keeps the hand at an angle that helps the blood flow into the fingers. The CTS got so bad, I was being awakened all the time at night because of the pain, but wearing the braces helped tremendously!

2. If your hand hurts, and it's not too hard on the stomache, take ibuprofin. It will help reduce the swelling in your hands.

3. After crocheting for a while, take a break and ice down your hand(s). It will also help reduce swelling.

4. Limit your crochet time so that you don't overdo it.

5. If the pain gets really bad, you might need to take some time off (hopefully not as long as I had to).

Hopefully some combination of these things will help with the pain.

I have weak wrists and I have problems some of the time. First of, as hard as it is, give it a break or at the very least cut back.

I have found wrists braces can be helpful, depending on what is hurting. Also, look at how you area holding your hook and your work. Changing postions so that your writs are supported might help. Try using a pillow in your lap and rest your wrists there. Also, take a look at your hooks. I have found I have more problems if I'm not using an ergonimic hook like Clover Soft Touch or Addies.

Also, when I start back to working after my wrists call "break time", I have found it best to start with something light weight. This way my wrists don't have to start supporting the weight of a full afgan, but a hat or a summer shawl instead. Last time I hurt my wrists, I could work on my lace shawl a few days before I coud work on any of my heavier projects.

Hi Kelly

Lots of good advice here :) but I'm wondering, if the pain is between your index finger and thumb, maybe it's just caused by gripping your hook too tightly? It can be hard to train yourself to loosen up.

Maybe it might be worth trying those foam cushions you can buy -- I've seen people mention cheaper ways of doing the same thing, such as using foam cushions meant for pens and pencils, thick rubber bands wound around and around the hook or even foam hair curlers! :eek You could also try using one of the brands of hook with a handle.

Also, very important: take a break every hour or so!

Do let us know if you find anything that helps.

Smiles,

There have been great suggestions here. First, the calcium and megnesium tabs should always be bought as one single supplement, because they have to balance each other.

I'm a speed typist/legal transcriptionist and I've been doing this since 1980. Really didn't have major problems until I started using computers. By '97 I thought I was really having pain. What solved this problem was moving to a split keyboard. The only keyboard I ever use now is the Microsoft Natural. It's not always easy to find, it's approximately $49, or less at computer shows. It saved my typing and crocheting life.

You have to exercise your hands, too. Get one of those squeeze balls. You used to be able to get them in drug stores easily, but I haven't seen them lately -- sad, because they do work.

Rest cannot be emphasized enough. If you also knit switch to that for a while. I find that this helps me a great deal. I think it's because you're using different muscles.

I find that projects such as Martha Ponchos and knitting with large needles is actually pretty tough on the hands. So if you're doing a lot of these quick-knit or quick-crochet type projects switch to a project using a needle size you're really comfortable with.

I find that if you work with Lion Brand Homespun you might want to switch to Crystalites by Coats/Red Heart. I don't know what it is, but regular hooks snag and not only does it take longer, but it obviously gets painful. My speed increased and the pain decreased when I switched to Crystalites. I bought a set of these in all sizes specifically to work with boucle-type acrylic yarn.

I also wear wrist warmers in cool weather. I need this for my typing and I also use it for crocheting and knitting now. So make yourself a pair of these, either plain wristlets or, my favorite, fringerless gloves or mitts.

I've never been that fond of Hand-eze -- I found them annoying and a bit suffocating, but that's just personal preference.

One of the best pain-killing cremes around is Bio-Freeze. I have a really bad backs -- thanks to 20+ years of ballet and injuries -- and I've used reflexology and message. The lady I went to this therapy recommended Bio-Feeze and it works really well. Tiger Balm is also really good and that you can find in most health-food stores. Tiger Balm comes in a pretty small bottle and a little goes a long way. Good stuff.

That's just some of the things that have worked for me over the years. At the moment I type sometimes 7 days a week (must do, really need the money) and I make about three or four garments a week, either knit or crochet.

Also, if you knit -- very important -- use circular needs whenever possible. You would not believe the difference in comfort. I've also started matching hooks and needles to fiber -- bamboo for natural fibers and aluminum or acrylic for man-made.

Cathy:rose

Yeah, I absolutely love my split keyboard! I've been using one now for about 10 years, and when I get on a regular keyboard, my hand feels cramped, and I can't type worth beans (but can actually type quite well on the split keyboard).

Also, if you knit -- very important -- use circular needs whenever possible. You would not believe the difference in comfort.
Cathy's point about the circular knitting needles reminded me: they spread the load, so you're not bearing the whole weight of a large piece on your fingers. If you're crocheting a large/heavy piece like an afghan, for example, maybe use a lap tray or table at the right height to support the work, and when it gets big enough roll it up like a sausage and pin the ends.

Thanks again for all the idea. When I read all the responses I did hear alot about wrists, and my wrists (thank goodness) are ok. It is in the really strange spot on my right hand (I am right handed) inside my palm. I just picked up the hook about 15 minutes ago, didn't crochet at all yesterday, and it immediately started hurting, it is almost like it is a muscle I hurt because like I said I just picked up the hook, didn't even start to crochet. Very strange, huh. Anyway I will get some Bio-Freeze, my sister has some becasue of a bad back. I am going to take ibuprofen right now too. I guess I will have to call the doctor to just be on the safe side. Thanks Again to everyone !!!

hi, ijust wanted to add that several years ago i had thumb and finger pain it took many drs. and 3 years to find out that i had torn cartalidge(did i spell that right) anyway it was in my wrist joint, so it was rubbing the joint. i had surgery to take out loose cartalige. it actually felt better the day i had surgery. have problems once in a blue moon,but only if i really overwork it. if it is hurting to pick things up ,then you really should see a dr. jackie

I have that same pain in my hand, and what has helped tremendously is to stretch my hand several times a day, and several times during crochet. I do it by spreading my fingers then pushing the opened palm and fingers against my other hand. Hold for several seconds and repeat a few times. It still bothers me on occasion but it really helps.

Rest is also a must if it is too bad. I am speaking from experience! It got so bad at one point that it felt as if my thumb was out of joint. And I totally agree with what was said before, try to relax your hand when crocheting-I know I tend to hold the hook in a death grip and that is my problem.

Now I have wrist problems as well and so I haven't been able to crochet for a couple of weeks :( I have been crocheting with thread and I think I am going to have to go back to yarn for a while.

get your hands and arms massaged. That will probably help for a bit. You can even do that yourself even though it doesn't feel quite as good as when someone else does it. Sounds like your tendons are screaming don't do this movement for a while. Rest and ice are the first best thing for them.

I just wanted to include that I have been having alot of trouble with hands and upper arms above elbow.........I have had to quit crocheting and it is driving me crazy, I love to crochet...............I tried different things but stopping is the only thing that helps.............I am going to give it a try this week to see what happens...................Faith

Archived