Crocheting with other materials?

I think I've been bitten hard by this crocheting obsession because now I find myself looking at a random bit of "Yarn Not Yarn" and wondering "Could I crochet with that?!" I've seen people crochet with cut up strips of plastic bags, so I know I"m not that far off base here.

My mom gave me a bunch of satin ribbon in various colors and widths, it's all on spools and ready to go. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to use for a small crochet project?

I also have tons, and I mean TONS (it's embarassing, I'm not even exagerating :o ) of seed beads from ahem, yet another craft obsession gone awry and I find myself looking at those trays and thinking "Can I crochet with beads? Strands of beads in place of yarn?"

I guess all I have to do is try, but I'm curious to hear if anybody else has these thoughts and if they do, have you followed through? What were the results?

Hi!

I've not done much with it, but I know that you can work beads into your projects. Hopefully someone else who has done it a lot can give you some tips. I've heard of ribbon crocheting, fabric crocheting and plastic bag crocheting. so there is a lot of material that you could use alright. :) Have fun with it!

Amber

Joy, could those beads have been from xstitching by chance?

I have seen ladies that crochet with beads all the time. They use the finest threads to make doily hangings and such with them incorporated.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

I've never heard of people crocheting with strands of beads, but I do know you can string them and crochet them into your stitches. I've crocheted with strips of fabric and with plastic bags and they all feel different when you're crocheting them.

I have crocheted a Barbie doll skirt with nothing but beads. It looks a little like a "flapper" dress from the '20s. It just kind of loops down. Cute, but time consuming stringing all those beads.

Beads, beads and more beads.

Can you crochet with beads? Click on my button after my signature. There are hundreds of things you can make with beads.

Doll dresses, snowflakes. You can put them into your doilies, and best of all you can also incorporate them into sweaters, vest, shaw's and just about anything you make. :danc

It isn't as hard as it looks. and it can be fun.

I have seen things crocheted with using ribbon. You can make crocheted roses, again doilies and try adding into a shaw.

Have fun with the stuff and experiment.

The most important thing is HAVE FUN.

:yay :yay2

oh my - yes- crochet with anything.............and everything LOL I made a very cool beach bag using twine...( yes postal twine) - wouldnt make many of them - cos it ripped my hands up a treat !!_ but it was a fun bag - ( bday gift for a friend of mine)

plastic bags too- they make cool stuff- fabric strips.........

wire.......brooches/pins

ohh and beads- you had to say beads- there's some really :c9 fantastic patterns for beaded purses ( yes i have one - its on my list to make - just have to be totally wide awake, and alert to do it _ none of this mindless watching tv while you crochet!!!LOL) beads on doileys/beads on ponchos /beads on summer scarves.....( oh yes!!!!!! )

yay beads!!!

Fiona

I've been crocheting with beads for awhile now but not crocheting beads. I guess you have to use the real small seed beads like sz 15 or smaller. I would like to try crocheting with wire, though. I found some very beautiful pieces of jewelry using wire and gemstones strung on wire.:manyheart

I've never heard of people crocheting with strands of beads, but I do know you can string them and crochet them into your stitches. I've crocheted with strips of fabric and with plastic bags and they all feel different when you're crocheting them.

Christine,

Do you have any patterns or even a picture of something done using a sting of beads? I have a couple of rolls left over from our wedding decorations, and would love to use them in something crocheted ... I'm thinking a small handbag or something?

Thanks

Fran :hook

I've crocheted a few purses with wire and beads and they turned out fabulous. I'll get a pic and post it if I can get a hold of the friend I gave one of the purses to.

I've crocheted a few purses with wire and beads and they turned out fabulous. I'll get a pic and post it if I can get a hold of the friend I gave one of the purses to.

:yay Kathleen! Can't wait to see pictures of them....:)

Archived