Woooo Hoooo!

I am so totally excited!!! :woo My cousin and her husband just opened a guitar shop this weekend in Fayetteville, WV. :cheer

DH and I stopped on our way home to NC to check it out and lend support and spend some money..... ANYWAY..... they are selling some jewlery and other odds and ends in the shop on commission for a few local people when out of the blue my cousin says to me (I was of course sitting there and crocheting my mom some dish clothes at the time) that I should do a ton of different scarves and a few shaws and send them to her for when they have a HUGE festival for almost 2 weeks in October. :eek:faint

She thinks that they'd sell great and was excited that I seemed to want to do it. So on the way home DH and I got to talking about it - since of course the more I thought about it the more excited I was about the opportunity!!! More for the personal part of it rather than thinking I was going to make any money at it (I'm definitely not that delusional!!!).

So.... I'm going to rely on you wonderful people :manyheart to tell me that I'm not crazy and that I can actually do this and have fun with it! DH started getting into it and said that we should go and start pricing yarn :eek tonight and get an idea of prices to set and that sort of thing!!! So am I crazy or could this be a totally great life experience?

ANY and all help and suggestions on pricing or designs that won't take me a million years to create (I am a beginner still!!) would be so so so wonderful!!!

YEAH!!!!

I definately think this is do-able!! Especially since your cousin is the one who suggested it and would be the one selling them!! From what I understand, pricing is usually figured out by taking the price of materials and multiply it by 3..unless it's a very intricate design, or very labor intensive, then multi by 4...

There are TONS of free patterns at http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com and http://www.lionbrand.com ... for the Lion Brand site you do need to be a member, but it's free...

Good luck and enjoy it!!!

Jessie

Yes, it could be a totally great life experience! Go for it! Having until October is definitely a plus, and it's great that your husband is so supportive as well. Having an outlet like that for your craft is an opportunity too good to pass up. Lots of luck!

Thank you guys for your ideas and good wishes! I'm so excited about this and my mind is just spinning with possibilities!!

That sounds like a wonderful opportunity. In October, lots of folks are already thinking 'Christmas'. Try to focus on things that are not too labor intensive (time-wise). Accessories like scarves, hats, purses would be great. Personally, I wouldn't bother with dish cloths, because there's only so much you can charge for a dishcloth... you can get much more bang for the buck with accessories. Afghans are another thing I think would be a tough sell, because they take both lots of time and yarn. Unless you did one 'show-stopper' and put a ridiculously high price on it.

Good luck!

Joan

thats a great idea, maybe make some scarfs, and some hats, maybe purses, a shawl or 2

easy things for you to make and not really expensive ones , cause the cheaper you price things, the more you will sell, this is what i do, when i sell something, i will charge say for a scarf 5.00, or i will then offer 2 or more for 4.50, you might not make that extra 50 cents but i am betting on that you will,alot of times i will say buy 1 get one half off, or maybe buy 4 get the 5th one free

things like that, people look for a bargain and you can make alot of money if you price them right. good luck, i hope you make alot of money. i think its awesome your hubby is behind you:yes :yes :yes

What a wonderful idea on your cousins part. :clap Of course you can do this. Scarves are simple, just buy some novelty yarns and do up a bunch with a big hook in maybe a half double stitch. Maybe 2 skeins for most some might want 3 for length. Easy peasy. Shawls are simple, you could do some shrugs since they are so popular now and hats would go over well in WV and you have plenty of time.

Go for it girl. Let us know how it all works out. :cheer We're cheering for you.

Archived