My first stab at Tunisian

Recently I bought some Tunisian hooks on Ebay. Got a great deal that included 4 straight and 3 curved hooks. I've been itching to try, and yesterday I finally got around to it. I'm not used to such large hooks! I usually work with a G or H hook and these babies are FAT! Unfortunately, living in Florida, I usually work with cotton, fingering yarn or thread, so these hooks probably weren't my best choice.

I took out my thread and a tiny hook and started to do a little strip - just to practice. I love it!!! Tunisian is easy - once you get the hang of it - and it looks so pretty! I was using a varigated thread and it make such nice striping!

Loved it!

So I guess I need to get some bulkier yarn or some smaller hooks.

How do you do an afghan in Tunisian? The curved hooks I have are long, but not nealry long enough for a full afghan.

I learned this stitch as a teenager in the 70's from my bf's mom. It is a great stitch once you learn how.

They do have special hooks that have extensions on them so that an afghan would fit on the whole hook.

I have made pillows on afghan hooks and they turn out great. And there are other stitches once you master the basic.

There's a book called "101 Easy Tunisian stitches" from Annies Attic that has all kinds of stitches and variations in it. There are patterns that use two colors of yarn, cluster patterns etc.

You may want to see if your local library has this book. Once you get hooked on these Tunisian stitches, it is a whole new world of crochet.

Best wishes on your new projects.

Linda:manyheart

Oh cool! I thought that Tunisian was the one basic stitch. I did see a knit and a pearl, but I thought that was it.

From the little that I tried, I really like the stitch, and I'm looking forwards to trying a project with it. :)

Hi theworm

I just learned it too :)

Here's another great site: click on "The Study" for lots of stitch instructions, links and patterns. Arnie has also written a book, the Encyclopedia of Tunisian Stitches, with over 400 stitch variations. . . I so want it! :devil

With the larger hooks from Annies, they are showing that you can use different yarns and do many different things with Tunisian stitches.

Check it out and have fun.

My bf's mom used to make afghans in panels and then do the cross stitch on top. She made me a pretty pillow with a butterfly on it for graduation.

So Try it out!!

Linda:manyheart

Archived