Has anyone tried this shawl?

Hello fellow crocheters.

In response to the Tahki shawl, I just received the book yesterday, and can't wait to get started. There are some really beautiful patterns in it. The only problem is Tahki yarn is rather expensive, so I'm trying to find something I can use to substitute. I need to use some of my stash, but it seems everything I want to make I can't seem to get the right gauge. But I'm a die hard and I'll eventually come up with a solution. So if anyone does make this shawl please post a message and let us know what thread you used.

Terri, Winter Park Florida

I'm half done with it! I love it too and it's the whole reason I bought the book although once it arrived here I liked just about everything else in it, lol. The pattern is easy enough, well if you read the directions anyway. I completely misread the shell stitch and left of a dc in everyone of them. Not a big deal really, doesn't bother me enough to go back and fix it.

I used TLC Cotton Plus for it. Almost the same shade as the pic. It's ok but I think I might've liked a mercerized cotton better. Something with a little sheen to it.

Will try to post a pic in a bit.

I'm half done with it!

I used TLC Cotton Plus for it. Almost the same shade as the pic. It's ok but I think I might've liked a mercerized cotton better. Something with a little sheen to it.

Will try to post a pic in a bit.

Thanks! That's just what I was hoping for...a bit of a suggestion on alternate fibers to use.

Can't wait to see your picture!

Oh goodness! My wish list of books is continuing to grow! That shawl is gorgeous! Gonna have to make one for myself!

Thanks for contributing to my addiction. LOL

Amy

That is very pretty- it looks like a simple triangular shawl that is very light, so that you can wear it sideways, catching the corner points sides on the shoulder with some sort of pin, brooch or what- have- you......allowing the longer pieces to drape down. The stitches look very easy too....I am sure it will be easy to make Artemis....but if you want it to look like the picture...you probably need to get the more expensive cord......still you can wear it both ways ,sideways or the more traditinal longer point in the back way....so the money investment might not be an issue as you can wear it a lot! Maybe you can go to a yarn store and check out what the expensive cord looks like and then scout around for something like it in the shop....though cheaper:devil

Here is a pic. It's modeled by my daughter who is a S/M in womens clothes. Being a big girl I thought going up a hook size would make the pattern more fitting for me but now I think it would have been fine using the recommended hook. Between the fit and the mistakes I made with the stitch pattern I am going to frog and redo the whole thing. That's why it's still only half done. :)

Overall I'm happy with my yarn choice. Looking at it again I realize I like the yarn quite a bit.

th_shawl-1.jpg

I love the patterns I have seen so far in this book, but I've been hesitant to order it because I am not a S/M! How large are the sizes for the patterns in this book?

I love the patterns I have seen so far in this book, but I've been hesitant to order it because I am not a S/M! How large are the sizes for the patterns in this book?

Six have small, medium, large, and extra large.

Three have small, medium, and large.

Only one is just small, medium.

Then there are several that are ponchos, belts, bags that have no size.

I have to say that some are "slinky dresses" that, even though sized for extra large, might not be flattering.

I like these patterns: Lime Pullover, the Crochet Shawl, Bell-Sleeve Pullover, and the Muse Tunic. The others are not suitable for my age/size.

I have the book too (bday gift from my dd, the sweetie!) and like most everything in it too. On my to-do list are the bell-sleeved top, the shrug top (on the cover), the lime pullover, the shawl, the skirt (I am planning to add panels to make it more A line, not a pencil skirt gal myself, but I love the style otherwise) the tank and matching bolero, plus several other items, eventually. With all the other things on my list, this could take awhile, though! I'm still contemplating substitutes for some items, have yarns picked out for others but won't know for sure if they'll work until I've had a chance to sit down and work up a gauge swatch on them. The cover top will probably be the first I tackle, followed by that bell-sleeved top, and then we'll see...

:hook

Archived