Coonskin Hat Kinda - Well Received

crochet smartcat

My husband and I have an eclectic humor and I am always looking for things to challenge my creativity. Since his birthday is tomorrow, I came up with my version of a coonskin hat, since he has been fighting the great possum battle in the backyard. The hat is an adapted crochet pattern from a kids' coonskin pattern. The face is from the LionBrand (knitted) Hedgehog Pattern, with the mouth and eyes added. The tail is gasket rope from the hardware store that I painted with acrylic paint and then threaded a piece of fun fur down the middle of, rebraided the end, glued it, trimmed it and then sewed the other end to the hat. I then used a very small thread hook and pulled various threads of the fun fur through the rope.

th_0615003.jpg th_0615002.jpg th_0615001.jpg

UPDATE: It was well received, photo on post #38

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now why would anyone be offended by your hat. Looks like many a possum I have seen. I think you did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of possum. They aren't what one would call pretty creatures. Hope your DH enjoy's his gift.

Darlin' you are about the most considerate person to worry we might be offended. There is nothing offensive about him. He's a little cutie possum, and I also hope you take a picture of your husband wearing the hat. Cute, cute, cute! Happy birthday to your hubby. :cheer:clap

Ohhhhhhhhhh I love it love it love it!! :rofl I so should try to make that for a friend of mine .. we tease him about being a possum freak.:devil

There was another thread about someone looking for a certain pattern and some people thought it gross and ill humor and if memory serves me correctly, it did revolve around a possum, so just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and get offended. My entire family and friends enjoy our humor but, I do not want to open the door for ill feelings or discussions. Thank you for all the compliments, I will be sure to post a pic (if possible) of the hubby modeling.

:lol :lol :lol And here I was thinking that you had made something XXX rated! Of course, I rushed to look and found only this charming little beady-eyed guy! He looks like all the 'possums that live in the woods surrounding us. Quite a likeness!:yes

Archived