Another kind of eBay travesty

As one who buys and sells on ebay, crochet & non-crochet, I would ask that you attempt communication FIRST, only leave negative feedback if you don't get an answer in a couple of days. I have a perfect rating (so far, knock on wood :hook ), and because of that, I do very well. If there was a problem & someone left negative feedback without e-mailing me, it can't be removed, and I'm sure my business would go down because of it!:eek

If there was a problem & someone left negative feedback without e-mailing me, it can't be removed, and I'm sure my business would go down because of it!:eek

Absolutely contact the seller first, that goes without saying. But that does not always work, and negative feedback is warrented. The person who recieved the negative feedback can't change it, but I believe (some body correct me if I'm wrong) that the person who left the feedback CAN change it if they choose, if they and the seller work things out. Didn't I read that somewhere on Ebay? Honest sellers like you who don't misrepresent what they're selling, have nothing to worry about. It's those dishonest money leeches who NEED their business to go down, and I have no problem leaving negative feedback on a seller who I felt "shafted" me, and wouldn't make it right.

negative feedback on E-Bay is near impossible to remove. I have never had any but just once left one and then I was asked three times if I was sure. It was someone that sold me fabric...then told me I didn't win it that some lady called him and gave her CC#, then he tried to sell me the same fabric @ six times the original because he had more. If there is a dispute the entire listing is mutually removable.

The only problem with leaving negative feedback, even when warranted is that the seller can "respond" to that and basically call you a liar. That really burns me.

I got totally scammed on a cell phone last year. It arrived broken and the screen didn't work. I tried everything to resolve with the buyer, eBay and PayPal to no avail. When I left negative feedback the seller responded to my feedback by saying that the item was in perfect condition when shipped and that I was trying to get out of the deal. It turned the tables and made me look like the bad guy. In the end, because I needed a phone, I had to use one without a screen for over 3 months before I could buy another one. $100 down the drain and the eBay and PayPal buyer protection is a waste of time and money!

The only problem with leaving negative feedback, even when warranted is that the seller can "respond" to that and basically call you a liar. That really burns me.

I got totally scammed on a cell phone last year. It arrived broken and the screen didn't work. I tried everything to resolve with the buyer, eBay and PayPal to no avail. When I left negative feedback the seller responded to my feedback by saying that the item was in perfect condition when shipped and that I was trying to get out of the deal. It turned the tables and made me look like the bad guy. In the end, because I needed a phone, I had to use one without a screen for over 3 months before I could buy another one. $100 down the drain and the eBay and PayPal buyer protection is a waste of time and money!

oh wow Donna! That's awful. There are a lot of stores that won't let you return electronics, I'm wondering if it's because it's hard to prove they didn't work when you got them home. hmmmm....that's terrible, sorry you had to go through that. And I see your point about them "turning the tables". That's a side of it I hadn't considered. Thanks!

oh wow Donna! That's awful. There are a lot of stores that won't let you return electronics, I'm wondering if it's because it's hard to prove they didn't work when you got them home.

Really? That would be against the law here (UK). I'd never buy from such a place.

It sounds like Donna's seller was not very honourable. . . even if the phone was broken in the mail, an ethical seller should replace it. Just last month I bought from Ebay a cheap Bluetooth dongle (a little gizmo that plugs into the USB port of your computer to allow you to transfer photos from a cell phone to computer). It was only 7 GBP including shipping, about half what you'd pay for the dongle alone in a store.

Well, though the software installed correctly, I could not get Windows to recognise the thing when I plugged it in. After a few suggestions didn't get it working, the seller offered me a replacement or refund. I chose a replacement of a different model that cost a little more (they didn't ask me to pay any extra :) ) and this one worked perfectly first time. I felt considering it was such a cheap item they went out of their way to help me -- I made sure to leave glowing feedback!

It's a shame Donna seems to have crossed paths with someone who was not so concerned with making sure customers are happy. I've been buying from Ebay for five years now and in my experience most sellers are; but like anywhere else, you do get the occasional bad guy.

Archived