Best way to present a shawl as a gift...

Hi there:

I've crocheted a shawl to give to the principal at my daughters' school who is retiring. She's a wonderful woman who has become a friend to me and my daughters. :hug

I want to wrap it somehow but am at a loss as to how to do this best. I thought about presenting it to her in a gift basket with clear wrap and a bow. The alternative of placing it in a dollar store bag with tissue just doesn't seem to do it for me. :eek

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers. :hook

I think folding it inside of a nice gift box, with tissue is a great way to present it to her. You can wrap it and add a nice bow or pretty crocheted flower she can take off and wear. You can always make a tag to attach to the shawl that says something like "Because you wrapped our school with love and friendship".

Donna

I, also, vote for the gift box with tissue paper. A lovely white sweater box - or "nicer" box, if you prefer - with tissue folded so that when you open it up you fold back two levels of tissue to find the gift folded just to fit the box... can't think of a more lovely presentation! (I'm a sucker for things like this!)

This makes it a true "presentation" like you mentioned... and you know exactly what it will look like when she first sees it! :U

Nice ideas, ladies! :yes

I love the idea of a crocheted flower and gift tag. Where does one purchase a gift box? My mind's drawing a blank. :think

Cheers. :hook

You can get a plethora of gift boxes at most Dollar Stores.

Other sources are places like Hallmark or Walmart or Factory Card Outlet in the gift wrap departments.

If you are at a clothing store, ask them to throw in a box. I do this so that I have a box for other items! (I don't get them if they charge :eek some do!)

As a "last resort" you could always go to a department store like Belks or JC Penny's... they generally have boxes and/or wrap for purchase.

Why not just "wrap" it in colored tissue paper? You can find some stamped with different patterns and colors for relatively cheap and then just wrap some ribbon around it!

Gift boxes can usually be purchased in the cards and wrapping paper area's of most stores, like Wal mart and Target. Or party type stores or paper outlets. The Dollar Tree where I live has some neat boxes these days and they make matching cards and writing sets.

I think any way you present it, the shawl will be cherished.

Donna

Hobby Lobby sells really nice, very sturdy hat boxes in many different colors/designs/sizes. They're more expensive than a shirt box, but they can be reused and even displayed in her home as a decorative way to hide small items. Just a guess, but I think the price range is about $2 for a small one up to $5 for a huge box.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/Kisha2929/crochet%20projects/100_0335.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i286/Kisha2929/crochet%20projects/100_0330.jpg

Here's two pics of how i wrapped my friends baby blanket. I had to mail them so i wasn't sure if they would survive but she said they looked great. All i did was crochet a "ribbon" to tie the blanket with and use the rub-on transfers from scrapbooking on the tissue paper and the book, I got everything from my local Dollar Tree

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about with those boxes... I found some at Wal-Mart one year. I got a heart-shaped one, painted it with craft paint, and gave it to my best friend for Valentine's Day. (Best friend?? Valentine's Day??? Yes, because I LOVE her like a sister! So THERE! :lol)

So painting/decorating it might be an idea you might want to think about. :D

Hi everyone:

First of all, a photo of the "end result".

th_giftbox.jpg

[clickable]

Thanks to your collective advice, here's what I did:

• I bought a blue box at Walmart (you know the boxes used for photo storage) at a reasonable price
  • I bought 3/4" ribbon (also at Walmart) and wrapped the box
  • There was white tissue inside
  • I made a crocheted flower using a pattern from the Happy Hooker book
  • I bought some pinbacks (also at Walmart) and attached one to the back of the flower so it can be reusable.

The box was great as I was able to put lots of goodies inside as well. The shawl I made fit her great!! She was really impresed. :c9 I'll post a pic of the shawl in the Show and Tell section. You can click here to see the shawl - I shouldn't have kept everyone in suspense..

Thanks everyone for your help. :cheer

Hobby Lobby sells really nice, very sturdy hat boxes in many different colors/designs/sizes. They're more expensive than a shirt box, but they can be reused and even displayed in her home as a decorative way to hide small items. Just a guess, but I think the price range is about $2 for a small one up to $5 for a huge box.

Ohh...I think this is a neat idea (and my have to steal it in the furture) and you don't have to wrap or anything. What a clever idea. :)

Thanks for sharing your package. Very nice. I love the idea of a flower corsage and a card with this saying of Donnas.

"Because you wrapped our school with love and friendship". So many creative people in our group. Now if I can just remember the ideas for my next gift!

I like it! I like it!

It's ALL re-usable... except for maybe the ribbon... but then again, the Polish in me can think of a few ways to re-use the ribbon, too! :lol

On top of that, it's BEEEEautiful! What more could you ask for? :D

Wow, very nice package! It's inspired me to wrap my sister's Fat Bottom Bag with a bit more care than I'd usually take. And I think I'll add that flower pin.

Thanks for sharing...now I'm off to see if I can find the shawl under show and tell.

Archived