What lengths do you go to...

...to shop for yarn?

I'm getting ready to drive 155 miles to visit my mom this weekend. There are basically two routes to her house: 1) the closer and faster way, and 2) the longer way that goes past a yarn outlet. You can probably guess which way I take most of the time. It's not all that much farther, but it does take a lot longer (and not just because I spend an hour in the yarn outlet store!).

What lengths do you go to to go yarn-shopping?

Only an hour? You must be great at power shopping...I could spend days looking when I get to a store with yarn. At home (coastal NC) it's a 3 hour drive to the yarn store. Of course, I did have to go down there for medical tests at the same time, but I'd love to go back just to browse. Now that I'm in NJ for a while, I can get to the great yarn store I discovered with only a 20 min or so drive thru some pleasant countryside. But if you add in the 12 hours it takes to get UP here from home.. I'd say that's a long way!

Well, if you add up all the "short" lengths I go in one day,(Hobby Lobby to Michaels to Joann to Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Meijer to LUNCH to the mall to the bathroom, back to Hobby Lobby, forgot something at Michaels...HOME, we're talking 250 miles, and at least 8 hours. Mind you, these wonderful days are few and far between, but they sure are FUN!!!!!

Yep......I'll use every excuse in the book to go by a yarn shop or craft store (like JoAnn or Michaels)...... I usually say, I'm only gonna stop in for only a moment, but I wind up staying for three hours.....and a basket load of goodies to boot!:cheer :cheer :cheer How's that for yarn dedication, lol!:hook :hook :hook

• 2 weeks later...

There is a yarn store literally around the corner from my house. If a paycheck is a comfy one, I'll get a twenty in cash and save it for a trip to the yarn store...Yarn To Go. Woo-hoo!:yay

• 3 weeks later...

I always scan the ads to see what yarn is on sale. If it's one of my favorites, I'm off like a flash. I will make special trips of thirty minutes or more for a good sale on my favorites.

Rosemary

* sigh remembering back to the days when I could drive myself to yarn stores, and not have to put up with snide comments from bf or mother* go, enjoy dont have any guilt!!!

Laura

My big trip is out to AC Moore in Manchester, which is about 45 minutes away from me. Sure, I could just wait for Joann.com's free shipping offers, but nothing compares to being able to inspect the skeins up close and personal. Michael's is nearer, and I do have some LYS near me, but AC Moore tends to stock all the yarns I like to use at affordable prices. I may be making a trip out that way soon, as I see they have that Brett Marble Yarn on sale that I've been dying to try...

I usually don't go very far... I have a great independent yarn store not too far from my house. The furthest away I've ever gotten yarn would have to be Miles City, MT. Many, many in that area ranch for a living and have Llamas and Alpalcas that keep the coyotes away (how they do it, don't ask me). I have friends up there, so I try to go up every year or so to visit. There's a *very independent* Alpalca retailer up there that sells the yarn out of her home. I always come back with yummy yarn!

Archived