This is what I made today.

:cheer My 90yr old mum has been very ill for the last couple of weeks so I have been spending a lot of time at the resthome, where she lives, helping to feed her etc.

While she is asleep, I have managed to get a lot of crochet & knitting done.

I started off making cotton table covers, which I have posted elsewhere on this message board, using my old doily patterns and thick yarn so they come out really big.

Then I was knitting a scarf which one of the staff decided she needed to have so the next thing I know, everyone wants one. Thankfully they only take one ball of Eyelash type yarn and not too much time to make.

I must have made about 10 of those. At $10.00nz each I am making a little cash to buy more yarn, which only cost me $1.00 per 50g ball.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/TradeMe155.jpg

Yesterday, I bought a few 100g balls of DK Acrylic yarn 3 for $4.00 nz, so I took them to show mum and asked which colour she liked best. She chose a lovely bright red so I asked what she would like me to make her and she said, "A Beret."

I made a beret this morning and was making a wee scarf to go with it, when a staff member came into the room and asked if she could have it for her daughter. Mum was OK with that so I will make her another tomorrow.

Because mum does not get out of bed for very long at the moment, it may be a long time, if ever, before she gets to wear the hat but she will enjoy looking at it as it will remind her of when she was able to make them herself.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/CrochetSamples014.jpg

The colour does not show up to its best in the pic because there was not much light in the room when I took it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/TradeMe160.jpg

This is one of the doilies I have made. I still have the very fine one I made from the same pattern 40 odd years ago. It actually fits inside the centre circle of the latest one. The doily is actually over 60cm across.

Hope you enjoy.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS I do hope I have not overdone the pictures.

Colleen, I just adore what you've done. I knitted two scarves like you made with the eyelash yarn and they were fun and easy to make. I like the red beret. Did you make that up or did you use a pattern?? The doily is also very nice. Isn't it wonderful when other people like and are enthusiastic about what you crochet? I'm so glad the people at the rest home were like that. It just spurs you on to want to crochet more.

I love your work. What pattern did you use for the scarf? It looks so snuggly warm. The red beret is fabulous as well. You have been a busy little kiwi! :D

Colleen, I LOVE that beret and scarf. Do you have a special pattern for that? ummmm willing to share it? I've never seen anything like that before....it's beautiful! I want, I want :blush Your work is so perfect and precise! You are truly an artist with the hook! :cheer :cheer :cheer:hook

Colleen:

Your work is beautiful!

I crocheted many things while I sat with my dear mother in her final years. You are a good daughter and will look back on these moments as important times with your mum.

Would mum consent to having her picture taken wearing her new hat?

We'd love to see her!

Thank you for sharing.

LOL:rofl LOL:rofl I agree with crochet mama....there can NEVER be too many pictures!!:devil Thanks for sharing..everything is so pretty and your mom is in my thoughts and prayers

:cheer I guess you all know that i am in a very different time zone to most of you, in fact New Zealand starts the day.

It was a great thrill to wake up this morning to such lovely comments about my work, or should I say, "Play"

I have had a lot of experience and I hope what I do inspires others to "Just do it" as the advertising tells us.

In another life, I owned a wool shop and did knitting and crochet for customers so I have a lot of knowledge which it is important to share.

The only thing I used a pattern for, is the Pineapple Doily but I have written out the pattern for the Red hat and I have actually sent it to at least one member here. I have not heard if she managed to use it OK.

The little red scarf is a very simple stitch so I would be able to write that out if necessary.

The pink, knitted scarf is my design too and I have given that to quite a few people who have managed to work out how to do it.

There is a part in it, where you divide the stitches, as in knit one, then slip the next onto a spare needle, right across the row. Then you knit each lot of stitches for a few rows, then knit them back together, one off each needle. (I use circular needles for all of my knitting so I just have 2 the same size to do this with.)

This is a little fiddly but once it is done, the rest is very simple.

If you want any of the patterns, send your e-mail address via a PM and I will get them off to you ASAP. May be a little delay as I am not home much these days. It is really lke having a full time job and the pay is a nice smile or a giggle occasionally. (Mum giggles over simple things, like passing wind.)

I have not worked out how to post patterns on here, or even if it is allowed.

:hug Artimus, My mum would probably enjoy being the centre of attention but I think, right now, she would not think a picture would be too flattering.

I will try to find a recent picture of her, to post here.

:hug Thanks to all of you who are so supportive of everyone when things are not running too well.

We are not a praying family, but do appreciate prayers from people who are.

It is lovely to know that others care.

I am just thankful that I have got to the age of 64 and can still talk about, "My mum."

Little kids look at me funny when I say I have a mum.

Love to all.

10.10am Sunday 11th June 2006.

Cold, but fine winters morning.

Here she is.Mumandme.jpg

This pic was taken in January when we were going out for a walk with the wheelchair.

Colleen it is 10.25 am and I have just gotten out of bed! Had a sleepy sleep in cos we watched the soccer late last night,

The red beret will look fantastic on your Mum. My mum died when I was 25 so you are lucky to still have her.

re your wool shops. I lived in NZ, Palmerston North for about 2 years, 24 years ago. I used to loved those wool shops, and I bet they are even bigger and better now.

I would love a copy of your pattern if you can email me.

Have a geat day!:manyheart

Beautiful work. Isn't it nice when you work is appreciated like that? I really love that red beret. It is gorgeous.

I just notice the picture of you mother. It brought a tear to my eye for she looks like my grandmother in that pic who passed away two years ago. Its uncanny how much she looks like her. I am so glad that you get to spend so much time with her. You will cherish these times.

:cheer Cupcake,

Gidday to an Aussie Mate.

I saw the Wallabies playing Rugby on Sunday night.

The All Blacks had played Ireland on Saturday and we were a little worried for a while but they did win in the end. All a bit rusty for the start of the season.

We have not stayed up for any of the Soccer yet, but our English DIL and our son, are very keen followers so the watched a bit over the weekend. The both work so will have o be selective on what they watch.

Most games a re-played during the afternoon so Kath gets to watch the as she only works until school gets out.

Sadly, the great wool shops you remember are nearly all gone.

Spotlight has taken over, well they have in Hamilton.

The trouble is, where we used to give service and advice, it is very hard to get even just service from the people who work in retail now.

Ask them a question about their stock and you get a shrug and a blank look and are usually told to look over there, as they point off into the distance.

It seems like they dont like the customers to interupt their work.

Like they would have a job if they didnt have customers?

If you would like my hat and scarf pattern, feel free to send me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

I sold another couple of sets today so I need to go and get some more red to do another for mum.

Our weather has gone to the pack so I am glad to be inside, snug and safe, knitting and crocheting.

Most of the staff at Mums, are young and have never seen anyone knitting or crocheting so I am quite a novelty.

I have offered to teach a few but so far have no takers.

Thanks again to everyone who has sent good wishes to my mum. She was tickled pink when I told her she was famous on the internet.

She is not in the least internet savvy but she was pleased anyway.

Have fun.

Well, I was off-line all day yesterday and came back to see that Colleen had posted some FO's! They are all beautiful but I, like many of my compatriots here, love the red beret and scarf. Your mother must really enjoy having you come to see her because your lovely work brings so many visitors to her room. Many hugs to Mum and thanks for posting the photos.:hug

:cheer Cuddlefish and anyone else who wants the pattern, just send your e-mail address to me and I will send it to you.

It is my own pattern from 40yrs ago but I never forgot how to make them.

Mum and I made hundreds of them over the years but it is only recently that I actually wrote it down so I can share it.

They can be made from any weight of yarn, by adjusting how many rows you do but the basic pattern is done in 8ply, (Double Knit) on a 4mm hook.

I dont always work exactly as the pattern because I generally go by how big it looks as I go along. Sort of Trial & Error.

I do have a problem if someone wants a second one exactly the same. I have to look at the first one to see what I did.

Have fun.

Archived