another bid seller on E-Bay

I wouldn't pay that much for a pattern book either:eek .....not unless I was a super duper professional.....and that I am not! That book is probably worth 6.95 or somewhere there-a-bouts. Someone must have been really desperate to buy that simple book for that high a price. The most I paid for a pattern book on ebay was 24 dollars and that was too much for a book that sells for 6 bucks. I guess when it is out of print...people will pay the money to get it.:yes:no

What's really amazing is that, for a price to go that high in bidding, there not only has to be one person that was willing to pay that much for the book, but at least one other willing to pay just 50 cents less!!! The winner may have been willing to spend even more :eek

The same book is listed for a buy it now @ $59.99, I actually bid one up last week for a little less than that. I had it on my wish list but when I realized that even I couldn't find one for under $45.00 I removed it and will hope someday to receive it as a gift.

Because that is such an amazing and popular afghan, the pattern booklet usually goes for a pretty penny. Personally, I think it's worth it if you intend to create such a lovely piece of work.

Donna

:eek That is just insane. I know that the bidding can get pretty heated on ebay or any auction and people tend to lose sight of what they are paying for and just need to win. But I can't figure this one out :think

That's actually the lowest I've seen it on e-bay. It's a book that runs past $150 a lot.

Dang! I was working at getting that book in March and April I think it was... maybe May... anyway, I ended up paying in the $40 to $50 range... and ended up with THREE! I waited til nearly the end and put my max bid because another I had bid on someone kept sliding up, you know a buck at a time! Drives me nuts. Generally people who haven't been doing eBay very long and you see them bid $1, $1, $1 as they try and get above the high bidder, and I think "If you're willing to pay X amount then why don't you just bid it? or a least bid in $5's or something?" Geez.

So through a series of errors and obsessive compulsive I have three copies of this lovely, very sought after book!

If you really want it I would keep watching because there seems to always be a copy or two listed, and if it looks like every one of them is going for in the $70's then I'd do the Buy it Now in the $50 range. It really does have some great patterns in it - besides the cathedral afghan a gorgeous heart-shaped quilt and the beautiful waterlilies - I'm sure there were pictures in the eBay listing.

Good luck!

Yeesh, that is pretty pricey for a pattern book! Especially when one of those patterns (the Nosegay one, I believe? Could be wrong) was a free pattern of the day not too long ago. Those are striking afghans, though.

Wow! That is just too much for a pattern book. I know that my library has many out of print crochet pattern books to check out, don't know if this one is there, but doubt I could ever pay that much for a book... I could pay that much on a yarn binge though!:lol

.....Generally people who haven't been doing eBay very long and you see them bid $1, $1, $1 as......

You have to be careful when bidding on eBay. A lot of times, but not always, if there are a few "new" members bdding on something, they are only bidding to drive the price up. It's illegal on eBay, but it's still done all the time. The seller will open another account just for this purpose. A good tale tell sign of this is if the "new" bidder signed up within days of the auction, or if they have been a member for a long time, but have never really won anything. You can check a person's bid history and see if this "new" person bids a lot on a particular sellers items. If a "new" bidder is constantly bidding on one particular sellers auctions, they are more than likely a fraud. This is called shill bidding and if you suspect it, you can report it eBay.

This one has been going for high prices for awhile. It's not even a book, it's a booklet. I think we should initiate a writing campaign to Annie's Attic to ask for a reprint of this booklet. You would think they'd like to cash in on the demand, fer cryin' out loud!

ETA: I just submitted a message to Annie's Attic on their website asking if they plan to reissue the pattern book. I'll report back!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....Makes the $30 I paid for seem like change. I do agree that this booklet is worth it. I also wrote to AA and they responded that they were not sure if they would reprint this booklet.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived