Wild Bidding on eBay for this Booklet

Now that's what I call a real Bidding War !!!

The cynical part of me is wondering if she will actually pay for the bid now that the auction is over and her emotions have time to cool down. There's another part of me wondering if she saw that there was going to be some competition on the booklet and so on her way to work, she just entered some ridiculously high amount, and now when she comes home from work she's going to have heart failure when she sees how far it went. :eek

I have that book. If I were to list it here on Cville's Sell or Trade forum, would any of you kind and rich fellow Cviller's like to buy it??!!:yes:lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originally thought that maybe the buyer is a novice who doesn't understand the maximum bid concept (eBay is confusing to many), but the buyer actually has a score of 214 purchases and 100 percent approval rating. The buyer's recent purchases include lots of yarn and knitting pattern books.

Still, I think this is probably an error. This is a relatively experienced though exuberant buyer (s/he's snatching up all kinds of pattern books) and she's gotten reasonable prices for everything else to date. But, mistakes do happen.

If you look at the bid history of 21 bids, it was entirely a bidding war between the winner (its4mealso) and one other person (swinginprincipessa). The losing bidder's recent purchases include $20 for a baby booties in size ten thread book, and multiple (???) purchases of a filet crochet pattern for the Last Supper. (Why so many? Who knows?)

There's always the possibility that the winner put in a HUGE maximum bid assuming no one in their right mind would push it up that far, and the other bidder got into that crazy fugue state that I get into sometimes when I don't really want the item desperately but I'm curious to see how high someone else will go to get it. It's like evil blackjack -- you're trying to get to just under the other person's maximum bid so that they have to pay a lot for it. It's VERY dog in the manger and I don't like myself when I do it so I don't, but bidding on eBay drives some *very* strange behaviors.

Anyway, even though the "winner" may have to honor the outrageous price, I still bet dollars to donuts that s/he may feel really stupid about this mistake.

I'd be interested to check back in a few days and see if the transaction actually closed.

-Elissa

Maybe the winning bidder meant to put $20.00 for a max bid and got the decimal in the wrong place?

I don't know, it doesn't make any sense to me to pay that much for a booklet, even tho some of the booties are cute.

That's ridiculous! Etaria, you should put your leaflet up on Ebay, think of the money you might make!

I would never pay that much money for anyone's patterns. Sooner or later someone , store or ebay will have them on again and for a lot less. It took me two years to get all of the Crochet with heart magazines that I didn't have but I did get them all and for less than two or three dollars each. It was worth it because I love those magazines and use most of the patterns in them.

Wendyb532

There's always the possibility that the winner put in a HUGE maximum bid assuming no one in their right mind would push it up that far,

Heh. I did that once, but I only ended up paying $80 for a hand-carved wooden crochet hook which was GORGEOUS and which I knew wasn't going to be either re-issued or posted on a website some day. :hook

and the other bidder got into that crazy fugue state that I get into sometimes when I don't really want the item desperately but I'm curious to see how high someone else will go to get it. It's like evil blackjack -- you're trying to get to just under the other person's maximum bid so that they have to pay a lot for it.

Bwa-ha-ha! My dad did this for a truck on eBay and he ended up buying the thing. He didn't read the auction carefully and the truck turned out to be in Texas. And dad is in West Virginia. :blush Dad doesn't play "evil blackjack" anymore. Snerk. :devil (Evil blackjack. I love it.:lol )

As for the pattern, I was feeling a bit sheepish about what I paid for some Japanese amigurumi books, but not anymore. ;)

It is bonkers what pple will pay. I had 200g of smoke-grey mohair put it on ebay for only £1.99 it went for £24 I nearly fell off my chair but hey paying that much for a leaflet is super bonkers. bless. I paid £25 for a full set of crochet hooks in a holder. I did get carried away as i really wanted it. i suppose you only need two people who really want something and it will go mad.

I am also off to find some pattern booklets I no longer need lol xxx

I guess, there are collectors for nearly every thing. I really can#t believe that it is only the pattern they pay for. Maybe she has got all other leaflets and this is the only one she missed - or something similar.

I know a guy (in real life) that has bought a leaflet for a mercedes benz (yes, the ones that carsellers give for free) for appr. $ 600,- (it was 500 Euros, I haven't a currency converter at the moment)

Why? because this leaflet was 15 years old and he is a collector. Insane? Of Course.

Hint: my first Husband made really good money from selling old leaflets of electronic equipment (from the 80's) at e-bay. You wouldn't believe any one buys such..... paper. :D

:think :think personally i think its a sham, if this actually goes through then i am for sure listing my patterns. if you look at the bidding, she meant to put that there. wierd. oh well:think :think

Ya know those booties are very very pretty but MY hubby would indeed have a royal fit and them hand ME by MY boot straps! Crazy people.

Ok everyone announcement time ~~ Grab all your cute bootie patterns and start putting them on EBAY... lets make some money!!! Woot! :rofl:rofl:rofl

On a serious note... I understand wanting something that is that cute, but paying more than $20.00 is outrageous to me. Those two ladies have lot more money than I do to spend on any one crochet item. However I am pleased that someone would want a set of patterns so badly that they are willing to pay a nice price for them. But I think $177 :eek is a little to rich for my blood.

I am a simple country bumpkin and I like it that way! :cowgirl

More money than sense I'd say!!!!!

completely off topic, but I have to tell you this:

If you translate this word-by-word into german (one thing you learn first in english: never ever to do this), you will have a common austrian proverb!

There is something very good and beneficial about the price of this booklet going to $177.50. I copied it and showed it to my husband. I have informed him that now when I purchase my crochet books, he can't complain because I am making an inve$tment. :rofl

Archived