8 color royal ripple afghan

PaulaMI

:U:rock THIS STITCH HAS FOR THE LONGEST ELUDED ME. I COULD NEVER MASTER THIS ONE. IT LOOKS REALLY :fluffyAND I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S THE LIGHTING YOU USED BUT IT LOOKS AS IF IT'S ON TO P OF WATER. THE EFFECT LOOKS COOL. WOWWW!!!:yarn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! I agree with everyone's comments,I love how you've taken it from darkto light,,then light back down to the darker colors. AMAZING!!:clap :clap :clap Feels good,doesn't it!!!:c9:yes

Awe shucks thanks everyone :2blush It got to be a real chore towards the end. I refuse to start another crochet project without finishing the one I'm currently working on because I know I'd have 20 half finished project laying around :D some days it felt like it would never be finished :loco

The popcorn stitch isn't so bad the first few rows of it were a challenge but after a while it isn't hard at all. It can be a challenge though if your yarn isn't spun tight, you'll end up getting tangled and having to redo the stitch.

The effect of going from dark to light and back again looks pretty interesting when the afghan isn't laying flat. It's more pronounced that way.

For any that want to make it... definately use a hook a size or two bigger than the pattern suggests. I even gauged this and it was spot on but the afghan is too thick for anything but winter use. I want to use it year round dang it!:P

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:yay :yay :yay My MIL is currently working on this but we're at a standstill because we cant find the lightest color of pink!:(:no

You did a fantastic job!!!!! It will be great this winter to cozy up with!!!

Dawn

Your work is breath taking. The colors are beautiful. What made you pick those colors?

I always liked burgundy and navy together for some reason. The pattern had a green and peach contrast going.... I thought the navy and burgundy contrast would work and it did :) At first I didn't like the colors because I had a different picture in my head but after a few sections I grew to like it.

I was able to find all I needed on joann.com. They have a pretty good selection of super value yarn colors. If you having trouble finding colors you might want to check there. Just don't overbuy :P I now have enough yarn to make two more afghans.

Thanks everyone!

The pattern is in here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0848715136/sr=8-10/qid=1149559709/ref=pd_bbs_10/104-7755426-0602335?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It's called the Royal Ripple.

I used Bernat Super value yarn. The colors were burgundy, medium rose, light rose, pale rose, navy, medium navy, light navy and pale navy. I used a size H hook as per the pattern but I would recommend an I to make the single crochets looser and the afghan wider. Weave in the ends every few colors or it will become hard to work with... lots of weaving with this one :) Also the supervalue skeins have a lot more yarn than the recommended type of yarn in the pattern. I have lots of extra in the colors so I'm making a 2 granny square afghans out of the extra yarn, I'll post pics of them when I get them done in a month or two.

I'm thinking of doing a royal ripple in sunset colors next winter :)

Thanks for the link for the pattern, I bought the book, & it is on it's way to me:c9 :hook

:yayPaula, absolutely stunning. I love the choice of colors you used. I am partial to the ripple pattern in the first place. I made a full size bed ripple about 30 years ago...browns, oranges, yellows, cremes. Took me quite a while to get it done and I still have it. Since I made it in sports yarn, it is light enough to use all year, when you get chilly. I bought it in a kit from a magazine since I wanted a larger one. Yours is just beautiful.:clap

Archived