Okay - so what is the fuss?

I love my dishcloths! I used to use storebought 'J Cloths', but never again, mine are so much better. And I have never had an issue with smelly or slimy cloths as I use a new one every day (sometimes two if I'm especially busy cleaning) and they all go into the wash. I have done my dishes, scrubbed counters, cleaned an oven, washed down old cubboards, washed walls, cleaned a fridge... (did I mention I just moved??) and they have held up amazingly well.

I only use varigated cotton yarn (Bernats Handicrafter Cotton) though as it helps to disguise any stains, including spaghetti sauce and even curry!

I love handmade cotton dishcloths, and using them for all kinds of cleaning chores around the house. I've not had the odor problem some others have had. What I love about them is that I can practice new stitches or techniques or color combinations using inexpensive cotton to do so. I'm also learning how to knit and I've really enjoyed making dish cloths while learning this new craft.

I've not used hemp before. Where do you get it? I usually use Sugar-n-Cream or Peaches-n-Cream or Lion Cotton or Bernats. I also have this huge ball of white 6-ply cotton. I'm not sure where I got it or what brand it is, but it is very absorbant and I love the dishcloths it makes, but it is hard to crochet with because the strands keep separating when crocheting with it.

Now it's confession time...maybe you all do the same thing too. When I make a new dishcloth, I "love" it for awhile before I use it. I just keep it out of the kitchen and look at it and squish it and fold it and pat it for a day or two. :yes:lol:manyheart

Then when it goes into the kitchen, the first tomato or food stain, my heart feels a little tug of sadness :cry but I get over it and make some more!

Wow, you all have inspired me to make my own dishclothes! :hook I use sponges right now and I do know all about how germy they get, etc, as well as stinky, but store-bought dishclothes are way too big for my liking. So yesterday I bought some cotton yarn and I'm going to make my own dishclothes so I can determine how big they are. :manyheart

I love my crocheted dishcloths. I make them from cotton yarn, mostly Lion Cotton. I change them often enough that they never get smelly. Just throw them in the wash and dryer (altho I'm going to use that dishwasher idea next time).

I like to make them because: 1)Sometimes I need a break from whatever project I'm working on, and dishcloths let me finish a project in an hour or so. 2)I get to try new stitches and new motifs. 3)If you use a textured stitch, ie. front post dc's or whatever, the dishcloth works better than store ones.

My two cents...

I love making dishclothes. I use whatever cotton yarn the store sells. I made one for my aunt and at Thanksgiving as she was washing dishes by hand I noticed it was an open one and I couldn't believe I gave her one (must have been the first) she said it worked fine and she loved the dishclothes I made her.

I also find it's a great way to practice stitches. I did a lot of the 63 squares in dishclothes to practice stitches.

Debbi

.... I did a lot of the 63 squares in dishclothes to practice stitches.

Debbi

What a great idea, Debbi! I've practiced stitches on dishcloths before but I hadn't even thought of practicing the 63 squares! :hook

I've not used hemp before. Where do you get it?

I spin my own, I got some hemp fiber from Canada and have been spinning that kilo of fiber for years! I am not sure where it can be purchased but I think a google of hemp yarn should bring up something.

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

• 2 months later...

I AM the "odd-ball". my sister wanted to try her hand at making dishcloths, and so bought a ball of Sugar & Cream yarn. there was a pattern for knit as well as a crochet dishcloth. she knitted one and I crocheted one. they scrub much, much better than store bought cloths and wear as well if not better. recently I made a couple more using the same (knit) pattern and Caron Simply Soft acrylic yarn. I personally have used them, and find that they scrub even better than cotton. they dry faster than cotton and I doubt that I will ever, or seldom ever, need to use a Scotch-brite type pad again. I also believe that they are easier to get clean in the wash. I also agree that they would be exellent for washing a car, though you may want to stick to cotton fiber for that job as acrylic would most likely mar the finish of your automobile. cotton, or hemp, would most DEFINITELY make better bath accessories.

I love mine. I use a textured stitch and it makes them extra scrubby. My kitchen is lime green, hot pink, orange, and brown and I've got one in every color. I keep a ball of cotton in the car and crochet my dishcloths at stoplights or while waiting in traffic. Toss them in the wash and they are good to go.

I do like knit for washcloths. There is nothing like a big thick organic cotton knitted washcloth as part of a baby gift.

Hum...Okay - I still do not know if I could use it as a dishcloth - but the idea of a wash cloth is quite nice! I guess there is part of my head that thinks it seems strange to crochet something to be used on my dirty pots and pans.

Some of the beautiful intricate designs I've seen for dishclothes made me think the same thing. It seems such crochet-blasphemy (i just made that up :) ) to put such pretty things into a dirty grimmy skillet. I don't use them, but I've made them for others. I've also made the cotton bath poofs, and they are nice in the shower.

I don't have a dishwasher (except for my own two hands), and I have to haul my laundry to the laundromat, which I hate doing. So I do a lot of handwashing. But for my dishcloths, after I handwash them in Woolite (helps keep the color in), I put them in a bit pot of boiling water for 15 minutes to kill any germies. Then I pop them in my countertop spin dryer and throw them on the drying rack for a few hours.

I love crocheted dischclothes.. that is when I lived in a drier climate. I make them for my mother who lives in the northwest (where I'm from) After having moved into a muggy damp area.. I find that any type of cloth (including bathing towels) tend to mildew really fast and I CANT STAND that smell.. so I now use paper towels to wipe the counters and use the antibacterial sponges to do my dishes. I guess I'm a clean fanatic...lol

My mom loves handmade dishclothes.:manyheart I have made them for her and also used them at her house. Made a few for my house and some how they ended up going home with Mom, hers "were getting so ratty" was her reasoning.:lol I like the ones with the scrubbies in the middle.

Archived