Okay - so what is the fuss?

Okay - I am new to the board, so I have to ask.

What is all the fuss over dishclothes? Are yarn dishclothes really that much better? Please fill me in, the critic in me is kicking in going - won't they smell, fall apart,etc...? Thanks for any and all info passed along.

I only use crochet dishclothes, I dont have any problem with them falling apart. I just throw them in the wash and they are good to go. I like them because unlike a sponge I can wash them each time I use them. I must go thru no less than 6 a day, depending on how many dishes. I know somepeople use them to clean up the counters with. I enjoy making up new ones all the time.

Also, welcome to the board

Welcome!

As with ALL things, it just comes down to a matter of personal tastes.

I don't make or use dishcloths. I just can't stand the wet, slimey feel of them. That goes for store bought ones. I prefer sponges and I wash mine in the dishwasher often, then toss it after a couple weeks. The only 'washcloth' I use is the Hadicloths that you use a bit then toss.

However I know a lot of members here love to make and use them. :)

I love them for the scrubbing help they provide, I always use cotton yarn and a small hook. As for smell no more than a standard dishcloth although for a little added sanitization I like to put mine out in the sun after I have washed and dried them and have never had one go funky on me yet.

Well I have to admit that while I've been MAKING dishcloths, I haven't actually USED one for dishes yet. The ones I've made (see my blog in my signature if you're curious) were too darned pretty, and I decided they'd be better as washcloths (for baths and showers) than dishes.

But I don't really use dishcloths for DISHES anyway. I use sponges, partly because I always get the ones with the scrubby part on one side, and partly because I use one for a week and then throw it away. I do, however, use dishcloths for cleaning the worksurfaces in my kitchen (counters, appliances, table, etc.) and I use the same dishcloth to wash down certain items in my living room every day (the coffee table, which the kids use as a dinner table, because our house is too small for a "real" table; and the tv - which gets horribly dusty, not to mention all the little fingerprints from little hands; and the dresser which we use as an "entertainment center"). So yes, I USE dishcloths... just not for dishes.

I'm hoping to get some more cotton yarn on Friday (payday) that I will deem usable for the kitchen. If they're too pretty, I won't use them in the kitchen, because I don't want them to get stained. :lol I know, I'm weird that way.

I think part of the appeal (for me, anyway) with MAKING the crocheted dishcloths is the fact that they're quick, easy, and you get a great sense of accomplishment for only an hour or so worth of work. I made 3 in one night last week. It made me feel REALLY productive, not to mention I had all these pretty washcloths that *I* made! :hook

Hum...Okay - I still do not know if I could use it as a dishcloth - but the idea of a wash cloth is quite nice! I guess there is part of my head that thinks it seems strange to crochet something to be used on my dirty pots and pans.

I am enjoying looking at all of you blogs and journals! Thanks for sharing.

Dishclothes my new obession. I love them. /I love making them and using. I have made 4 dish clothes and 3 washclothes. I like for all the reasons stated above. Plus they are so fun and quick to make. I have a few listed in my blog. Those are the first ones I made.

Oh and welcome to the board btw.

I use them in the kitchen all the time. My son has also used them to wash his car. I make bunches and toss them in the linen closet. This way I can change them daily or more often if necessary. I wipe counters with them also. I have never dusted or used them in the bathroom though. I toss them in the wash with a little bleach and they are good to go. I have heard about putting them in the sun though. It is supposed to be a mild disenfectant or something like that.

Thank you for asking. I was not sure that I understood the meaning of dishcloths right (my english is far from being perfect or at least good) and therefore I was shy to ask. But now that you did this... :D I think it would be heartbreaking to crochet a beautiful item to clean the oily pans or the tomato-colored dishes with.

I just decided this: I will make a dishcloth for cleaning the table and other surfaces. To get the cloth a little bit dusty will be ok for my crochet-protective heart. :hook

If you have to do a dirty job, like washing pots, you may as well do it with something nice to make the job nicer!! I use dishcloths mostly for wiping counters and cleaning the kitchen sink and bathroom. I really dont like them so much for washing glasses, besides I have a dishwasher!!! I am making them as shower gifts for my gifts. If nothing else, they look so pretty!!!

We have been using both in our home. As long as you choose a crochet pattern that does not stretch too far (I hate the way seed stitch does this) they work great. I'm ashamed to admit I do like knitted dishclothes a bit better, but I like and use both.

For those of you who really like them I just wanted to let you know that Kitchen twine makes great ones, either knitted or crocheted. I don't use them myself but have made them for others on request. I buy kitchen twine on a cone. I have also made them from cotton fabric cut into thin strips , wound into balls & used as yarn. These are thicker & also make good hot-mats.

Cotton such as Sugar n Cream is the best for making dishcloths. There are many many pretty free patterns out there on the web, and you can make them thicker by using two strands of cotton together, or just use one strand. I use them all the time and my daughter and friends always want me to keep them supplied. You can make one in maybe an hour or under that if real simple pattern. I make a few occasionally for dustcloths!

I use cotton for the dishcloths... but I believe it was shaelynsmom who gave me the idea on her blog for using nylon yarn for scrubbies....she used plastic canvas thread and I had some on hand so I made a couple small scrubbies... works tons better then I expected and is gentle on my coated pans...:hook

I've been using crochet (and even knit :eek ) dishcloths for the past 6 years and don't even own a store bought cloth. Of course they will wear out after some time, but what doesn't? :think

I wouldn't use anything else! :hook

I use Sugar 'n Cream for dishcloths and Bernat Cottontots for washcloths. I use a fresh one every morning and then a fresh one in the evening. I do the same with sponges when I use them so they don't get smelly. :)

Oh Susanne, this is such a nice thought:

I just decided this: I will make a dishcloth for cleaning the table and other surfaces. To get the cloth a little bit dusty will be ok for my crochet-protective heart. :hook

I use white crochet dishcloths, a new one each day, because they scrub well and can be lightly bleached. If they wear out, I'll make new ones. I just like the way the cloths look in my black, grey, and white RV kitchen!

I have made a few dishcloths with hemp yarn and find them to be much better than cotton. The hemp is naturally resistant to microbes and do not get smelly nearly as quickly. When you think about it hemp is used for ropes on sailing vessels because it does not rot or degrade quickly. I have a clothespin bag that has been hanging out in the weather for about 5 years, it is still intact, does not rot like cotton. Hemp for me!

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

I make mine with cotton thread or yarn only.....I have had some shrinkage at various times over the years but they don't seem to wear out any faster than bought ; they seem to last forever. I think its a personal preference much like terry towels vs. linen towels to dry dishes.

(see my blog in my signature if you're curious)

They are beautiful. As I got into reading your blog (I know, I'm weird) I saw those AMAZING tops that you had a link for. Do you think if you work a pattern out for it you'd be willing to share it for a fee? I'm still a beginner but that is a style that doesn't go out and anyone can wear!

Archived